Minimum age for a happy hack?

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
I don't want a 4 year old as it probably won't be experienced enough for me - I want something that is sane and sensible and past the potential Kevin stage.

But I can't decide where to draw the line. What is too young, and what is probably ok? Is 7 still too young? I realise it will obviously depend on the horse and what it has one etc, but just as a general rule of thumb?

Thoughts?

Ben was 7 when I got him. I did have some worries that he was too young for me, but I shouldn't have worried at all. Apparently he was exactly the same horse when he was a 4 year old and never went through the Kevins at all.

I would draw the line at 6, as long as the horse had seen some life and had been well trained. Anything younger would be too much of a risk I think.

Storm was either 7 or 8 when we got her, vet couldn't be sure either way. She was still quite childish but that could have been my lack of experience - not sure. I wouldn't have gone for anything younger, still wouldn't - not if I wanted something to hack or just be sensible enough for me.

My friend has just bought a 6 yr old fell - though she's really a 4 yr old as only broken 12 months ago (lived wild on fells until then) and then turned away. She's nicknamed Dora the explorer as she goes anywhere and everywhere and loves being out and about. She is green with we schooling but safe and not stupid - 7yr old son is learning to ride on her.

It is really dependant on the nature of the pony in question - no hard and fast rules.

It's also about the work a horse does - a rising three year old moved onto the yard just before Christmas and Is an Arab and spent months high as a kite, hysterical at the slightest thing - she goes out and about now seeing things and will be a fantastic horse ready for backing in 6-12 months with a sane head. The change in her is remarkable with decent (stimulating but not taxing) work as a baby just walking out in hand

I think you can get away with a younger one as a happy hacker as well if the horse is sensible, depends what kind of horse you are going for as to what their general temperament would be like obviously still going to differ with every horse but they do tend to follow similar traits as others of the same breeding.

A good 5 yr old that has been out and seen a lot of hacking since they were backed at 3 is probably going to be as suitable for you as a 7 yr old that's done a bit of schooling as well as hacking.

Last edited:
Depends on the nature of the horse. Both my 5 year olds are bombproof hacks mainly due to the amount of hunting they have done. My 9yo showjumper is not as quiet to hack. Find something that has hunted a fair bit and generally they are good to hack. I have a lovely quiet 6yo for sale at the mo, but not sure what height etc you are after.

depends on the horse but i'd def say over 6-7 years old. 5 year olds can sometimes flip between quiet and bombproof and erratic behaviour (even my bombproof little pony had her 'moments' and sometimes still does!). on the other hand, any horse at any age can get a fright etc.

Sane, sensible and past the kevins? i'd be looking at 10-12 years old then, minimum. I'm a bit out of date with everyone so forgive me if i've missed a post, but if i were looking for a happy hack (i'm using my mum as a frame of reference here as that's what she'd ideally like) then i'd want something that had seen and done as much as possible and was less likely to start playing silly buggers. So i'd definately be looking at something older and experienced.

When I got Ziggy and was looking for something safe and sensible my RI advised me that 10 was the minimum age for a pony that had seen everything.

Ziggy was 10, so that was OK. Bombproof he is. Quiet to hack, not, but that's another matter!

If I wanted something more mature then 8 is the minimum. Mind you, I've been very envious of a 5 year old I rode a few times who has now matured into an 8 year old exactly the same as he was at 5!

Truth be told, I'd rather have something younger with no experiences (ie BAD experiences) and start them off than have something with history. For me it's all about the temperament and I can teach the rest.

Some 7 year olds are fine some are just finding out their own strength, it all depends on the horses nature. A 7 year old heavy cob type is probably the safest bet at that age and they are usually great for hacking out if that is all you intend to do.

Depends on the horse really like a few have said.I have rode 4 year olds that have been safe as houses and 14 year olds that were not.mystique was 5 when i got her,in the school or near a pole was not a novice ride when I went to try her,out on a hack on our own when I tried her she was an angel.I would have put anyone on her hacking and trusted with my life but not in a school.very much the nature of the horse in question and like someone has said no hard and fast rules :)

I also prefer the young ones with no bad traits, I have bought the last 2 horses at 4, neither went through the kevins to a big degree. If I really didn't want an unspoilt younger one than 7/8 onwards I would say but very much horse dependant.

I looked at horses aged 10 plus when I was buying - mind you my mare is 10 but very green and immature in a lot of ways so with age does not necessarily come wisdom!

I think you have to know the horse. I backed Arthur (the Comtois X) at the beginning of last year and he was 4 in April. He had a very "old and wise" head on young shoulders and never put a foot wrong. I'd never seen him hoon around the field or buck either, a real steady-Eddie.

Albi, just 4, is doing brilliantly as well, he's taken everything in his stride so far and fell into a few strides of canter for the first time today out on a hack which thrilled and delighted us. Of course, we don't know what the future holds but he's always been so laid-back and genuine, I find it hard to believe he'll go through any "Kevins"..... (famous last words.... :giggle:)

Joey is 13 and doesn't turn a hair at anything, Jack is only a year younger and can be a bit nervy.

I would be tempted by a 7 year old but a 7 that would have had to have been to a few parties at least and want to know the temperament.

10 most horses have settled in to themselves and the work required at this age and there are normally that many surprises after that.

Ginger now 5 not a novice ride 90& :angel: 10% sharp very sharp. Chanter 20 would never let a beginer on him on a hack.

newrider.com