Missing horses between riding.

RayRay

Jan 8, 2017
Does anyone else who doesn't have there own horse miss the horses they ride between Riding. The last time I rode was just over 2 weeks ago and I'm starting to really miss may.

Oooh yes I know that feeling well! Lol when OH and I were having lessons it started with one a week, and then two because I pestered the riding school. Then I started hanging about there afterwards and tbh when I got home started to feel at a loss! Then I used to keep my riding gear on as long as possible lol to remember the horsey smell:D:oops:

If you ride a horse regularly and have a good relationship with that horse, it doesnt matter who the horse's owner is. For many years I rode mainly two horses. I missed them both and neither belonged to me.

Before owning my own (and it took me til aged 40+) I used to help out at the RS in between lessons. When I couldn't ride I loved just being around them and learning anything horsey. I'd muck out, sweep, feed, groom, shower........... anything that needed doing there made me feel I was contributing to their welfare in return for riding them:)

Reactions: Trewsers
I haven't lernt that stuff not yet anyway if you get to grade 3 in my riding school you take part in caring for the the horse before and after the lesson the futherestbi got in that respect leading them In and out of the lesson running up the striups losing the grith leaving them safely well still tacked up and taking the head coler off

I'm not sure where you're based? I'm in France but here & I believe in the UK you can "help out" at the RS without having to have any knowledge, they'll show you what to do and you'll always have an RI around to ask for help

Yeah I am in the UK in my riding school for mucking out and stuff they seem to take children and teenage volteeners adult volteeners are instucters

The other horses rode where I currently am are called amirgo, sweep, Todd and Barney. I also rode two other horses not where I am zippy and bramble. I'm rubish.with peoples names but.i can remember every singles horses name I meet what does that say about me :p
I'll remember your animals name (dog, cat, horse, whatever) straight away, but people I am useless with names :p

Most of the volunteers at your RS might be younger, but it won't hurt to ask. Having been one of the more experienced on yards, it can be breath of fresh air to get an adult volunteer compared to know-it-all teenagers :)

Children volteeners and then adult volteeners are for teaching maybe I'll try to take a photo of next time I'm there.

I do get to handle the horses from.ground a bit for my lessons they make sure of that you see which horse you're riding and then go and get them and I think you may learn to groom them once you get to grade 3 maybe

Leading your horse out and back after a lesson is very important.
After my second lesson I was asked if I wanted to do that as some UK clients dont wish to. Looking back, leading the horse out and back was about the most important things I did at my first RS - I learned so much from that.
When a beginner rider sits on a horse, they are not in control. They dont yet know how to control the horse well and they themselves are obeying instructions from the teacher.

Leading a RS horse is often the first time a new rider is in charge of the horse and learns how to make the horse do as they wish - for example no snatching of food. To stop and start walking when told.
And then in the stable you may eventually be shown how to untack the horse and put on its rug. Or put on a head collar and tie the horse up.
If I didnt know how to do this, I read about it or later asked here on NR.
I also paid for two lessons in stable management to learn how to pick up a horse.s feet and groom him. When I was a child my mum rightly warned me not to walk round the back of a horse in case it kicked, so I remained nervous about horses' feet. Being shown how to pick up a horse's feet was very important to me.
I often say that I learned to teach horses how to do things two years later when I went to clinics and demos. But looking back to the first horse I ever rode, I learned from leading him.
I also realised after a bit that he behaved with me. But did not behave with my RI who raised a whip to him and was much fiercer. He was an older RS horse and I was polite to him and he was patient with me while I made mistakes.
In those days I didnt groom the RS horses. Leading is enough - both along a path and into and coming out of the stable. You will see if you look at ground work training that simple leading is the foundation of everything.

newrider.com