Monkey's first big adventure (more pics added)

Good start to the day, 5.50am I got a message to say my friends ponies were out on the drove! Quick rescue mission and gave my lot some hay to be going on with.

Bums in saddles at 10am. Forecast includes 18c and thunderstorms, great, let’s hope they skirt around us!

Considering I haven’t sat on him in over a week; at the whooshing drain I gave it a wide birth, and a very stroppy driver pulled up facing me pointing to say where she wanted to go, at that moment the drain swooshed, so monkey spooked, then she she came past she gave us the dirtiest look and revved her engine far more than necessary, so monkey took a swipe at her car 🤣
As we left the estate, we came out to a main 30mph road through town but just after it’s dropped from 60, with Monkey in the lead, we looked out to cross and blow me a ruddy great lorry doing more than 30 heading towards us, nothing to do but sit tight and Monkey stood like a rock as it flew by!
We had a beautiful ride through the forest, an area I’ve not taken Monkey before and he took the lead for most of it 🥰
E868C99E-75C3-401D-98CD-3B2D127719F3.jpeg
As we approached the half way point it started raining, then it turned to stair rods, then huge claps of thunder and lightning. Hmm, not ideal! The horses were foot perfect though.
Then on to the Heath, with tall fences either side of the track, which were fine apart from the occasional fallen down panel 🤣 which he snorted at a lot but went by with a wide birth. When it changed to just stock fence he noticed the view, it’s the first time I’ve ridden him in any open space, he stared for a minute then buckled down and plodded on 🥰 I got off for a gate (another first other than the one at home) and decided to walk a bit as there were sheep everywhere (another first) which he stared at but no drama.
157281BB-8CEF-48A2-970A-400EA5EB7014.jpeg
After the Heath we stopped for some grass and a drink for me, there was a stream (from the heavy rain) running down the track, I led him to it and he walked right up to it and flipping launched off all 4’s over it 🤣🤣 I was glad I wasn’t on board! But he quickly figured it was harmless and had a splash in it 🥰
0ECFB031-9D02-42D0-BE84-988E0CA8657A.jpeg
On through a narrow path alongside a heath full of gorse in full bloom, it smelled amazing and he was great about me getting on and off for gates.
8755717A-7241-4F72-8C31-5BA0F9D262AC.jpeg
And we paused at the monument for a picture.
39F6F8D4-F5C1-4510-AF6E-94662FC2498A.jpeg
Then the tunnel (another first) under the A11, Norfolks closest thing to a motorway, and he was wary but good as gold. On the far side he got a bit skitty as couldn’t work out where the traffic was (above his head and behind him) but nothing drastic.
49C4E8D9-64ED-4EE4-909F-CE6C50266BE7.jpeg

By this time he was tired, about 10 miles in, but he was a champ about it. We passed another heath and more sheep which by now are completely boring 👌 and on into Kings forest (very fitting this weekend!)

It’s funny it’s another commercial pine forest, but it’s different somehow, it smells different, I love it. The sun came out and it was beautiful. BB901319-CF3B-4950-A836-493CBCCB45F9.jpegFB076146-2702-4FD9-86AE-B897DAB0DAF8.jpeg
We got on icknield way (by way) and he was very tired and was blaming Mouse (the highland) and kept pulling crabby faces at her 🤣 a 4x4 and a dirt bike came along behind us (another first) and although it’s a massive wide track they kindly stopped and waited for us to get off to the side and Monkey didn’t look at either as they came by. At this point Monkey started calling for no apparent reason, which scared mouse 🤣
Then the thunder and lightning started up again, we were so close we thought we might make it dry, but no 🤣
8DD01CDF-A6D9-4B76-81A5-66F6E7ED6565.jpeg
It was a quick dash to throw tack in my friends trailer (parked here the day before with all our gear in) and chuck rugs on In torrential rain! Which stopped before we got them to their paddocks 😝

Monkey very much enjoyed the re-covery mash
02DFCB80-7560-4B9B-B20B-AC46F7443BED.jpeg
He’s settled well, just calling a bit initially but there’s lots of horses here so I understand that. He’s eaten like a champ, and I think drunk well (auto drinker so hard to really know) and seems totally chilled this morning 🤩 my little rock star!

We went out again this morning, just a a hour to help them mentally know it isn’t always a big ride. I thought he would be tired but he was very game!
6478E1CD-40F4-4698-84C9-7E0A0CAAD6BF.jpeg
32759D7A-A8E7-47D8-8E45-83AD766DAC69.jpeg
We went up to a burial mound and let them graze for a while before heading back.
650B8D22-19FE-4AAA-8ED3-4EDE07C47F13.jpeg
When we got back the park and ride was completely packed with horses just getting ready to go out and he walked in like an old hand (huge for him given he’s never been on a livery yard and never been to a show or anything), I untacked and had to walk him right through all those horses to his paddock and again he was a champ 🥰
I’m glad we went early as it’s been drizzly to torrential since noon! But he’s really settled and happy 😊
476023CF-A253-4954-9B07-301DD3D11F43.jpeg
ETA: pictures! It’s now nearly 11pm and it’s still raining, it’s been so bad it’s affected phone signal and I couldn’t get them all to upload earlier!

Last edited:
I got up at 4.15 to go to the loo and was super happy to see Monkey laying down sleeping 👌 unfortunately my friends ponies thought I might feed them and they waffled at me and walked to their gates which made him get up 😣

Looks like such a nice way to spend the weekend and sounds like he's doing so well, credit to all your hard work with him!

Reactions: Jessey
I really didn’t need to worry I was asking too much of him, he felt physically stronger (more power in his stride) today than on Friday, and most definitely had plenty of go in him!

A really good ride home, he was fighting me a bit as he wanted to lead all the time, but was totally focused and stopped looking at every little thing so wasn’t spooky.

This section is a byway, and we met dozens of motorbikes, and he really didn’t bat an eyelid 🥰 they were all really polite and slowed right down which made for great experience for him.
3807E022-9894-4A9D-89AA-FD2935E29C96.jpegAA8C0607-665A-4A46-8B3A-34BB4E511F3D.jpegC3401BB4-BCC0-422A-B137-4023DBF61B72.jpeg
He did have a couple of little tantrums about waiting for the others and we had a couple of little bounces of the front end, but nothing too drastic and he quit both times with a growl.
F49A41D6-84EF-4B7D-B8BB-7657AB9619CB.jpeg
76F3C411-FAAF-4367-A86E-E4404EAEC235.jpeg
E5146F59-6CAE-4E63-B5B3-D9EC144622B3.jpeg
We even stopped at the country park café which was heaving with people, kids, bikes, buggies, and he didn’t flinch while we had a cuppa! (And Monkey nibbled at the trees)
C9B042B6-B9B5-4B42-A1BE-F6646CF36EA5.jpeg

14 miles today as we shaved a couple off by coming back through the middle of town!

I’m so chuffed with the entire weekend, he exceeded my expectations completely 🥰 he’ll have a well deserved couple of days off now, he’s earned them.

The only down to the weekend is ending up with trench foot because my Ariat’s got soaked repeatedly and split, and my grubs gave up too 😒
4A579662-F8AA-411A-831A-910F9F667AD7.jpeg
It was worth it though!

• Love
Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
What a fabulous weekend and what a superstar Nicko has been, all your hard work and training have certainly paid off, let’s hope this is the start of many adventures for you both ☺️

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
I just took him out for a little walk to the new field next door to graze some long grass, he wasn’t entirely keen to go out the gate but no bother either, he was very happy when he got to the grass though 😁
173B1B0F-5A7B-416A-A756-CF4A593ED5B7.jpeg

Reactions: Trewsers
Some reflections from the weekend;

When away, as I was right there all the time, I gave him hay little and often, he also got an extra feed of speedibeet for breakfast, and a carrot here and there - now all this means Monkey believes I will feed him every time I go in the field - last night he nearly had my ear off! the lips were around it and I felt teeth graze it before hearing them snap shut 🤬 I was so desperate for him to eat well I did it knowing he might get a bit over zealous, in future I will stick to a more normal routine.

Good behaviour is relative, I would say he was a blooming superstar all weekend, but he was spooky for the first half of the first day, and he was crotchety with the little highland after the first few hours together because he wanted to be in front, but also couldn't bear for her to be too far behind. He pulled half the way home resulting in my shoulders getting sore and front end bounces twice. If that were Jess she'd have had her ass squared up real quick, but in the grand scheme of things, doing everything else right meant he really was good for him, he's a work in progress after all!

Overall I really couldn't have asked for better from him, he behaved impeccably at camp, a huge ask when he's never even been on a livery yard so never seen different horses coming and going like that and he ate and drank really well. He was rock solid for the 2 road sections when we met a lorry on the first, and had drivers trying to race by us and shouting out of their windows on the 2nd! And he didn't get at all wound up by sheep or deer darting around (we saw lots on every day but we put up a whole herd of red's on the way home!), nor did he care about kids/bikes/buggies at the country park and didn't behave any differently going into areas that he's never set foot in before. And the bunting was everywhere, and flags, not so much as a glance at those. So overall, he was a blooming rockstar 🤩

More pic’s just in, I had to nag my friend to send me the ones she took!
Embarking on the red (mountain bike) run 🤣
IMG_6928.jpeg
Getting a bit damp!
IMG_6927.jpeg
A quick stop at the War memorial
IMG_6925.jpeg
Stopping for a quick drink
IMG_6923.jpeg
First glimpses of Kings forest for Monkey
IMG_6924.jpeg
Day 2; we rode out to a Bowl Barrow (burial mound) thought to be late Neolithic/early Bronze Age. Its 32m diameter and to this day produces lush grass year round. It’s a bit magical there and actually sits on ley lines.
Heading into the barrow
IMG_6920.jpeg
Yup we let the ponies have a munch!
IMG_6918.jpeg
Day 3; heading for home
IMG_6921.jpeg
Splish splosh, he’d got the hang of puddles by then
IMG_6917.jpeg
This is an anti motorbike barrier, 2 big logs to step over
IMG_6916.jpeg

Youll be planning your next adventure soon.
🤣🤣🤣 I booked the next trip there when I booked this one, but I am planning some other jaunts this summer too, I just need to finish the last of the essential works on the trailer (greasing wheel bearings) then start getting him out!

I really didn’t need to worry I was asking too much of him, he felt physically stronger (more power in his stride) today than on Friday, and most definitely had plenty of go in him!

A really good ride home, he was fighting me a bit as he wanted to lead all the time, but was totally focused and stopped looking at every little thing so wasn’t spooky.

This section is a byway, and we met dozens of motorbikes, and he really didn’t bat an eyelid 🥰 they were all really polite and slowed right down which made for great experience for him.
View attachment 117482View attachment 117484View attachment 117485
He did have a couple of little tantrums about waiting for the others and we had a couple of little bounces of the front end, but nothing too drastic and he quit both times with a growl.
View attachment 117487
View attachment 117486
View attachment 117488
We even stopped at the country park café which was heaving with people, kids, bikes, buggies, and he didn’t flinch while we had a cuppa! (And Monkey nibbled at the trees)
View attachment 117489

14 miles today as we shaved a couple off by coming back through the middle of town!

I’m so chuffed with the entire weekend, he exceeded my expectations completely 🥰 he’ll have a well deserved couple of days off now, he’s earned them.

The only down to the weekend is ending up with trench foot because my Ariat’s got soaked repeatedly and split, and my grubs gave up too 😒
View attachment 117490
It was worth it though!
I love the fact it's so flat and you can see where you are going and for miles ahead.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com