More Big Scary Places to Ride That Aren't Scary After All

Roheryn

Feb 21, 2005
Yesterday I went out to the barn and rode with a friend. Someone was giving a lesson in the small school, where I feel safe riding and usually mount and warm up in there before going off to ride with friends in the big schools or out in the pasture. Yesterday I could not even go in there to mount, but had to mount outside the barn, in the wide open spaces, and there wasn't even anyone to hold my horse!

He was great. He did try one to get a bite of grass, but when I pulled his head up again he stood like a rock 'til I was up and getting my right foot in the stirrup. Then he walked off, stumbled in the grass, and headed out onto the drive.

All this, and I'm still in the saddle, but now my heart is in my throat and I can't breathe from nerves, and we're out in the open with no fences around, and my friend and her horse are heading away up the drive.

So my guy and I followed them. And all went very well. We walked up the drive 'til I decided we were too close to the highway to ride so I got off.

Then once in the big school, we played follow-the-leader 'til my friend wanted to trot. I was still too tired and sore from my weekend ride to trot, so my guy and I just walked around and around on the rail.

I can't believe how far we have come! Only a few months ago I could barely ride in the big schools behind another rider and breathe--yesterday I was walking around on the rail with just my guy and I was fine! And we went down the driveway together! And I got on him out in the open with no one holding him.

I wish I could ride him again this evening but I am supposed to start a new job tomorrow and I don't want to be exhausted and sore. But riding him--or just seeing him--would make my day tomorrow.

He is so good. :)

Thanks for your replies and good wishes!

I actually did get to go and ride him again the evening after I started this thread. My friend called me up and on the spur of the moment we decided to go out and ride. Didn't get to ride much, as thunder kept threatening, but when the storm moved off I got up on my guy and rode around in the small school (the one near the barn so that if the storm came back we could run for shelter). He and I worked on trotting quite a bit and make a little progress. Then all four of us went to the huge great school and rode a little more there. I didn't want to overdo because of having to go to work the next morning, but I did go home that evening from the barn feeling happy and content.

Then job turned out to be a nightmare that never really got going because of red tape and lack of communication and information exchange among departments. But I'm hoping to go back to the barn tomorrow and try riding again--at least that's something I can work on and feel I'm learning something worthwhile. I actually even feel more confident riding these days than I do with the clerical sort of jobs I'm actually fairly good at--when I can get them!

newrider.com