More canter problems - Help!

roweypuff

Mar 15, 2008
East Grinstead
Hi

I have been learning for less than a year and am doing well in trot and Walk. I started to learn to canter at Christmas time and found it really hard in the school. However I really enjoy the feeling when we are out on a hack.

My main problem is getting the horse into canter in the first place. I feel that I cant keep my heels down when I go into sitting trot which makes me feel that I am going to loose my stirrups and then I find it hard to use my leg to get him going. So by the time all this has happened we have missed the corner and he is just doing a really fast trot!

I have done a fair bit of no stirrup work and have good balance generally. We have also done a few lunge lessons which I found really helpful for improving my position and confidence.

To top it all we were trying to canter last week and I lost my balance fell off and broke my wrist. Even though I am looking forward to going riding again I am worried that this is going to be a sticking point, especially now I have fallen whilst trying to canter.

I see that I am not the only one that has had problems in this area, and would be grateful for any help!
:)

Sorry to hear of the wrist, hope it mends fast!

It sounds like you are just trying too hard, also I think that RIs make it more difficult by asking us to sit to the trot first - I find going into canter easiest if you sit and ask at the same time, so instead of sitting and squeezing as you would when asking for more impulsion in rising trot, sit and bring the outside leg back, squeeze and say "Cann-" then give on the reins and say "-ter".

I just started learning to canter about a month ago and feel much the same as you. It can be really difficult getting the horse to canter exactly when you ask them. Jess thought yesterday I was just practicing my sitting trot!! Then second time round she knew what I was wanting so she did it. To be honest though my RI is still carefully watching me when I go into canter as I'm still learning and her voice aids get Jess going more than my aids really. Though she did slow back to trot after a couple of canter strides and I was able to give her a squeeze and keep her going a bit longer which was a great achievement for me!! :D :eek:

But I know the feeling of asking for canter and just getting a really fast trot which feels very uncomfortable when you're sitting to it! I'm finally starting to enjoy the canter now - beginning to get over the fear of speed and thought of falling off (done that twice at canter but no injuries - poor you:eek:). Once you get the hang of the rhythm and know how to go with the horse and bum stops flying out the saddle you start feeling more secure and confident.

Hope you manage to sort out the problem. At the moment my RI tells me to either hold the pommel or a good chunk of mane. It gives me a lot more balance and less fear of falling off. Maybe this would help you balance in the corner when you're asking for canter. Then when you're going you could let go? Just a temporary measure but it might help you get past this sticking point! :)

I had the same problem, asking for canter and getting a fast trot really does scare me. Had the same issue with my heels coming up, legs going back and then losing my stirrups.
Finally managed to master it now (well most of the time!) by not tensing up, and not gripping with my knee's which in turn keeps your heels down and feet in the stirrups:D
Sorry to hear about your fall, best wishes for a speedy recovery and a relaxed canter very soon

Try reading the Heather Moffet 'Kinder Way' articles on NR (You can access them from the main page)
They explain things in a really concise and easy way, really helped me :)

I didnt canter happily till I had been riding about 2 years. It isnt compulsory.

I did and still do most of my canter out hacking. if you enjoy that, why dont you stick to that for a bit.

I am sorry you got hurt. There is absolutely no need to canter before new riders feel ready for it.

When you do feel read to canter in the school, and your wrist has healed, I would suggest taking lunge lessons with a good lunge teacher.
That will secure your seat on the horse. And when the teacher thinks you well balanced, she will incude canter and canter transitions on the lunge.
You will learn how to sit the tansition and the horse will be stopped as soon as you are a bit wobby.
To learn to ride one need skilled and appropriate tuition. Then it is easy.

The OP raises a good point. Why do RIs want you to transition from sitting-trot to canter?

Anyway, I think lesson horses really make it more difficult as they're barraged with differently placed and differently timed aids. When I had a single horse at my disposal and I was about the only one who rode him, he quickly learned what I did to ask for canter and responded accordingly.

The OP raises a good point. Why do RIs want you to transition from sitting-trot to canter?

because it is "correct" like it or not RI's are taught to teach the correct aids.
sitting trot to canter is easier for the horse because it is more balanced, especially if you arent on the correct diagonal for rising or if you throw yourself out of the saddle in rising trot. all this unbalances the horse and will put it on the wrong leg.

although none of this matters when hacking because well with me personally we end up going from a standstill sometimes anyway :rolleyes:

isnt it better to learn it right to start with and struggle for a little bit rather than learn it wrong and spend the next 5 years putting it right.

Hi

I have been learning for less than a year and am doing well in trot and Walk. I started to learn to canter at Christmas time and found it really hard in the school. However I really enjoy the feeling when we are out on a hack.

My main problem is getting the horse into canter in the first place. I feel that I cant keep my heels down when I go into sitting trot which makes me feel that I am going to loose my stirrups and then I find it hard to use my leg to get him going. So by the time all this has happened we have missed the corner and he is just doing a really fast trot!

I have done a fair bit of no stirrup work and have good balance generally. We have also done a few lunge lessons which I found really helpful for improving my position and confidence.

To top it all we were trying to canter last week and I lost my balance fell off and broke my wrist. Even though I am looking forward to going riding again I am worried that this is going to be a sticking point, especially now I have fallen whilst trying to canter.

I see that I am not the only one that has had problems in this area, and would be grateful for any help!
:)

If you were my student, I would put you back on the Lunge Line. I would make sure you felt ok cantering, and asking for the canter, as well as having a strong canter seat. I see that you have had a few lunge lessons, but I really think you should go back again, and this time, stay longer. You might need to stay on the line for a few months. Time takes time. Good luck:)

For I while I was struggling with sitting trot to canter so I found that if I shorted my stirrups one hole before we started cantering I find it a lot easier to control what my legs are doing and there is less 'flailing about'. It worked for me anyway and I am still going this, once I am more confident about the transition I will try keeping them long again.

When I was learning to canter, I found it easier to go from walk to canter. Once I was confident in the transition to and from canter and comfortable in canter, I was then more balanced for the trot to canter transition.

Until I did get the hang of sitting trot to canter, my RI told me to rise to the trot and only sit for 2/3 strides before giving the canter aids.

This was an ideal way of teaching me, there would be nothing worse than being put off of cantering and going through what the OP has.

Hope your wrist heals and I agree with having a few more lunge lessons and maybe including cantering in those if you are comfortable with it. Not everyone likes to canter on the lunge.

Welcome to my world! :)

I am learning to canter hacking out and am being taught to get into a nice forward rising trot, then sit back and leg behind the girth. Initially I found the trot to canter transition quite daunting, but I really like the feel of cantering now. The problem is actually getting the horse into canter. Either my transition is 'beautiful' (well my RI used that word once!) or I just end up bouncing all over the place, with a very confused horse. :eek:

Even when I do manage to get the horse to canter, like you, I find it really difficult to keep the canter going particularly if I am in front. My RI is shouting 'kick, kick' and as soon as I try my heels come up and my hands start flapping all over the place and the horse slows back down to a trot.

Practise makes perfect apparently. If only I could ride every day, I'd be there so much sooner! I think the problem is that sometimes we expect too much of ourselves. There is SO much to learn when riding and I bet every lesson you get a little bit better even if you don't realise it. I have only just realised that it is possible to canter and breathe at the same time! :D

LOL - it is so good to hear that cos it is exactly what happens to me! Thats the best thing about being on this forum is that you realise that loads of people are going through the same thing. In my lessons if felt just like I was being rubbish!!

Just had a really good lesson with lots of canter transitions. I find it very hard to get into canter but one am there I love it. I only manage to it for a few strides but it's better than last time where I fell off so I am making progress. As mentioned above progress is often so slow especially when we are constantly scrutinising and analysing ourselves and then beating ourselves up for not being perfect. Just relax, grab a handful of mane and enjoy.

Welcome to my world! :)

I am learning to canter hacking out and am being taught to get into a nice forward rising trot, then sit back and leg behind the girth. Initially I found the trot to canter transition quite daunting, but I really like the feel of cantering now. The problem is actually getting the horse into canter. Either my transition is 'beautiful' (well my RI used that word once!) or I just end up bouncing all over the place, with a very confused horse. :eek:

Even when I do manage to get the horse to canter, like you, I find it really difficult to keep the canter going particularly if I am in front. My RI is shouting 'kick, kick' and as soon as I try my heels come up and my hands start flapping all over the place and the horse slows back down to a trot.

Practise makes perfect apparently. If only I could ride every day, I'd be there so much sooner! I think the problem is that sometimes we expect too much of ourselves. There is SO much to learn when riding and I bet every lesson you get a little bit better even if you don't realise it. I have only just realised that it is possible to canter and breathe at the same time! :D

:D It took me a while to master the art of breathing and cantering at the same time :rolleyes:

In fact I was riding a new horse for the first time today and found myself holding my breath whilst we were trotting, I think I took two breathes in the whole hour, pmsl :D I'm hacking him out tomorrow with a couple of friends who will be yelling BREATHE at me at regular intervals :rolleyes:

I'm sure with practice you'll be cantering easily in no time atall.
I've been riding for years and everytime I get in the saddle, I learn something new.
I agree possibly going back to lunging to regain your confidence, might be a good idea - Have fun! :)

At my school, I started to canter using a neck strap. It's just a strap of leather that is adjustable to different horses' necks. You hold the strap at the same time as the reins. It made me feel much more secure. Then one day, I just didn't ask for the strap anymore and I was surprised how much more fun cantering was! I was confident that I could canter, so taking the strap away was not much of a difference. My lesson horse almost went over a low jump (which I almost let her do, even though we haven't started that yet)! Ask your RI if your school has a strap you can use to get more comfortable and gain confidence! (sorry about your wrist :(.

because it is "correct" like it or not RI's are taught to teach the correct aids.
sitting trot to canter is easier for the horse because it is more balanced, especially if you arent on the correct diagonal for rising or if you throw yourself out of the saddle in rising trot. all this unbalances the horse and will put it on the wrong leg.

I agree with this in theory, but if a rider is unbalenced in sitting trot, but more balanced rising, that will shurely be better for them
Were still teaching my section D to canter (shes 14, but bad history..bad accident...didnt used to know what legs were for) and it helped her when we first started to rise into the canter as she couldnt do it from a sitting trot, ideally i'd be rising to the canter as well to help keep her going, but the rhythms far too complicated ^_^
Try (when your wrists better) holding the pommel with your umm, insde hand i think(? havent doine it like that in years) it will help keep you more secure.

Also you mentioned you have done no stirrup work, hows your independant seat? Have you started being taught how to round a horse up yet? Have you done rising trot with no stirrups, really makes sure your seats secure and your using the right parts of your legs and not relying on putting weight in the stirrups, your leg 'learns' a postition with heels slightly down, and you tend to stick to it, and dont rely on putting weight through the stirrups for your riding
Good luck :)

newrider.com