More X Country with Ginger today

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Friend and I were at a loss what to do this weekend. Waddington Air show is on so the roads are really busy that end of Lincoln. But last night she suggest some X Country Schooling so she called them and booked in for 0900 this morning.

We went early to miss the heat and so pleased we did.

Ginger was a nightmare when we got on napping to friends horse and spooking at all the jumps. Lucky my mate saw what was happening and took her horse away in to another field. Then I managed to get Gingers attention.

He was a nightmare, he refused to walk down a small slope so we had a ten minute argument. (I did not have a whip or spurs). I know a lot of people on NR don't do arguments with their horses but sorry this was not a hack out this was a X Country schooling session and I had to be firm and the leader and was not scared. He finally walked down and trotted through the dip and popped the first jump on the way out.:unsure:

I took him over a couple of more logs about 2ft he was fine and jumping clear but he would run out on the first attempt every time so not easy.

he loved the tires which I was sure he would not like but did not run out at all on them. we had a couple more disagreements over a roll top but this was not helped by other riders appearing at the top of the field.

He did everything I asked but always on the first attempt but he still did it. He even jumped a small ditch and in and out of water.

The my friend asked if I wanted to pop a fence on her horse (he is a hunter) so I did he was amazing we jumped a log roll and then a massive palisade it was about 1m I have never jumped anything that big at all ever. he was amazing.

I asked her to jump Ginger over the logs to see if he was just taking the piss out of me or if he was just hard work and yeap he was a sod it took her about 5-6 attempt to get him over it so that made me feel like not such a total failure.

Amazing day and huge learning curve for Ginger and I. I have to say I never thought I would take him X Country let alone teach him myself and then jump the 70cm course. :dance:

Every week this horse surprising and amazing me

That sounds like a fantastic morning.

As for your argument: Sometimes they do need that "Stop being an idiot." type of attitude. It really shows just how well your doing with him ! :bounce:

Sounds promising, ODE some day?

I think Ginger definitely sounds like a future ODE horse!

And I think one of my proudest moments (as a novice rider, not like you ObC) was when a potential sharer for Ziggy and former riding instructor rode him and said, "He goes better for you." Great feeling, isn't it!

Wonderful!! I remember the first time I took Paddy to play at XC and the feeling I had when I suddenly realised we were doing something I never dreamed of was fantastic. It's something I only ever saw other people doing not me :smile: He was the same at first not always going first time but still did it all and you will just go from strength to strength now!

Even better that you know he wasn't just taking the mick out of you, it's nice to know. And for the record I think there is a time and place for an argument sometimes, always dependant on horse, rider and situation - sounds to me it was required.

I really enjoy reading your and Ginger's updates :smile:

newrider.com