Moving on from horse flaws - Your Ideal Horse?

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
Just thinking about FM's thread, if you could have another horse what would you be looking for.

I'm aiming to have a second horse by the time I'm 30 (just under 4 years away) and I keep seeing loads that I think would be perfect!

I'd like a younger horse, probably around 5-7 years old.
Mare or Gelding
Not really bother about colour but ideally not another coloured or grey (I've always been drawn to chestnuts/duns/buckskins)
Finer built than Rubic and a little taller. 15-15.3hh
Possibly a part bred connie/welsh D
I'd like it to be a good all-rounder, I don't mind if it hasn't done much so long as it can W,T,C and pop a jump without great issue but is still a bit green. I'd love to do some small BEs on it so it would be good if it could jump natural fences as well as show jumps. Basically a nice genuine, honest horse that enjoys work.
I would like something that had been out and seen traffic and wasn't too fazed by it because I would be starting off hacking to local shows, I don't mind if it can't hack out alone straight away as I had to work on that one with Rubic so that doesn't bother me much so long as it doesn't have a mega-meltdown about it.

Haha, not asking much am I. Think I'll need to do a lot of saving!!!

Just thinking about FM's thread, if you could have another horse what would you be looking for.

I'm aiming to have a second horse by the time I'm 30 (just under 4 years away) and I keep seeing loads that I think would be perfect!

I'd like a younger horse, probably around 5-7 years old.
Mare or Gelding
Not really bother about colour but ideally not another coloured or grey (I've always been drawn to chestnuts/duns/buckskins)
Finer built than Rubic and a little taller. 15-15.3hh
Possibly a part bred connie/welsh D
I'd like it to be a good all-rounder, I don't mind if it hasn't done much so long as it can W,T,C and pop a jump without great issue but is still a bit green. I'd love to do some small BEs on it so it would be good if it could jump natural fences as well as show jumps. Basically a nice genuine, honest horse that enjoys work.
I would like something that had been out and seen traffic and wasn't too fazed by it because I would be starting off hacking to local shows, I don't mind if it can't hack out alone straight away as I had to work on that one with Rubic so that doesn't bother me much so long as it doesn't have a mega-meltdown about it.

Haha, not asking much am I. Think I'll need to do a lot of saving!!!

I don't think you are asking too much! Sounds just like my Storm when I bought her. She was 7 or 8 - vet couldn't be sure and still a bit green, loved to jump and had done a bit of hacking. She was however quite spooky and still is,but that doesn't bother me now and probably wouldn't bother you either. She is 15 hh and only looking like a chunky connie because of the lack of exercise in her later years. I am sure you will find one!!! But she is grey - so not your first choice colour wise!lol

My next riding horse - (I will no doubt end up with another companion at some point) I would ideally like to be no bigger than 15.2 hh - I used to feel over horsed on Joe at 16.2. Colour wise I am not fussy. My ideal would be a mare or gelding that could hack alone or in company and that enjoyed a bit of schooling. No longer fussed about jumps. Would like something unshod or capable of making the transition - I've had a lovely easy time of it with Storm and her barefoot hooves and would like to repeat that. Joe was shod because he had to be due to his poor conformation and feet in general and we lost many shoes over the years here and it was worrying when they would hang off skew whiff. We generally had to get the vet or farrier until we learnt how to safely get them off. Then there was the wait for the next farrier visit.........
Would like something that is easy going really and laid back. I love the look of arabs and other fine breeds but sadly I think they are beyond me!!! Age wise I wouldn't dismiss anything from 7 to 70!!! Lol if only they lived that long!

Mine is my ideal cob.
As she was started/trained by me she is how I like her. Obviously the innate character I don't believe can be changed, she is naturally placid, laid back and hopefully a happy hacker.
As I mainly hack getting a youngster who didnt has given me something to do over 18 months.
I am glad she didn't make her estimated height.
She has a panic button and its amazing how much we take for granted with a ready, seen it done it horse. Mine has a ooh what's that and a omg spin reaction.

To me any horse should be able to w,t,c and pop a small course of coloured and rustic fences. Any horse can do a w,t intro test.
That's not asking too much to me that's the basics a four year old could know.
But good in traffic is a must.

I don't think you are asking too much! Sounds just like my Storm when I bought her. She was 7 or 8 - vet couldn't be sure and still a bit green, loved to jump and had done a bit of hacking. She was however quite spooky and still is,but that doesn't bother me now and probably wouldn't bother you either. She is 15 hh and only looking like a chunky connie because of the lack of exercise in her later years. I am sure you will find one!!! But she is grey - so not your first choice colour wise!lol

Spookiness doesn't bother me! Grey/white puts me off purely because of the mud haha (but I wouldn't dismiss a grey or coloured horse I'd just resign myself to more washing)! Colour doesn't bother me but something mud coloured would be easier to get ready for a show:p

My next riding horse - (I will no doubt end up with another companion at some point) I would ideally like to be no bigger than 15.2 hh - I used to feel over horsed on Joe at 16.2. Colour wise I am not fussy. My ideal would be a mare or gelding that could hack alone or in company and that enjoyed a bit of schooling. No longer fussed about jumps. Would like something unshod or capable of making the transition - I've had a lovely easy time of it with Storm and her barefoot hooves and would like to repeat that. Joe was shod because he had to be due to his poor conformation and feet in general and we lost many shoes over the years here and it was worrying when they would hang off skew whiff. We generally had to get the vet or farrier until we learnt how to safely get them off. Then there was the wait for the next farrier visit.........
Would like something that is easy going really and laid back. I love the look of arabs and other fine breeds but sadly I think they are beyond me!!! Age wise I wouldn't dismiss anything from 7 to 70!!! Lol if only they lived that long!

Good feet is really important to me, I'm not saying I'd take another horse barefoot (and I might need shoes on anyway if I was doing a lot of road work or work that would benefit from putting studs in - I know in some showing classes horses must now be shod (there was a huge thing about the working hunter classes at Blair last year)) but having good solid hooves is just as important when it comes to shoeing!

Mine is my ideal cob.
As she was started/trained by me she is how I like her. Obviously the innate character I don't believe can be changed, she is naturally placid, laid back and hopefully a happy hacker.
As I mainly hack getting a youngster who didnt has given me something to do over 18 months.
I am glad she didn't make her estimated height.
She has a panic button and its amazing how much we take for granted with a ready, seen it done it horse. Mine has a ooh what's that and a omg spin reaction.

To me any horse should be able to w,t,c and pop a small course of coloured and rustic fences. Any horse can do a w,t intro test.
That's not asking too much to me that's the basics a four year old could know.
But good in traffic is a must.

Some horses just don't jump well naturally though (and as a result wouldn't be good for XC/showjumping) or don't like jumping at all. The same as some just aren't built well for good dressage. Take Rubic for example - she is built very much on the forehand (although she isn't the worst I've seen in a cob), she always found lifting her forehand difficult and it was a great struggle against what felt natural to her sometimes I think. She had a fab jump on her though. She always did ok with dressage and it's not that I didn't want to work hard on it but I know there is only so far I could get with her flatwork because of the way she was built. I know a number of horses that don't jump or don't jump well, it either frazzles their brain or they just don't have a good enough technique to get them over a reasonable sized fence or even smaller fences strung together. Sometimes you can improve a horses technique over a fence sometimes you can't but given that is something I enjoy I don't think I'd take a gamble on a horse that didn't have a good jump in the hope I could make it better. BE starts at 80 and ideally I think I'd want a little bit extra in hand, especially if I wanted to move up to the 90/100 classes (which would probably be my wildest dreams come true) - so a horse that could easily jump 90-1.10m courses.

I suppose a better way to word my requirements would be "uphill" paces and a good technique over fences.

I know what I should buy if I were to buy another (very unlikely). However, what I am pretty sure I would buy is completely different. Even though I am not a great rider I would love to buy and bring on a youngster to do a little of everything - mostly hacking, but a little show jumping, tiny XC, dressage test at wt and ideally canter, lots of le Trec and horse agility and just being a general all round best mate.

If I was buying a started horse it would be a young one who was up for a bit of all of this. I wouldn't want another remedial horse, although Ziggy has taught me so much.

I still have SO many horses that I want to own... but the reality is that at 52, we're unlikely to change the ones that we have now. But if I were to win the lottery and be able to afford land, I would want a Highland, a Haffie, a Fjord and a big Shire or Clydie for Dom because he feels too big for Jack.

I have been extremely fortunate in that I have actually been lucky enough to own most of the horses I only dreamt of as a child. From Quarter Horses, Tennessee Walking horse, Warmbloods, Connemaras, Arabs, Welsh to Irish Drafts and big chunky coloured cobs and many variations in between.

Bottom of my wish list was bays, mares, hunters, anything over 10 and 'plain' looking with sweet itch and dodgy feet. I love my Dolly! :D

I'd like an Irish draught 15.3 chestnut gelding about 7-8, not worked hard in his life as all I see is them being jumped jumped jumped and I'd worry about the damage.
I want something a little faster and capable of the odd jump for my next horse, but sadly I think my weight will always be a factor and I'll need to see how it goes. I certainly don't want another Flipo. He's a one off and I couldn't replace him with a Belgian lookalike, far too wrong!!!

I'd like an Irish sports horse, 15.1-16hh, age 7-12, gelding, colour-wise I am not fussed but I see myself with a chestnut/bay with white socks and a blaze! I do love coloured horses too though. Good all-rounded, capable of teaching me XC, safe hack, happy to school, confident and friendly, good round kids and dogs. I know these ain't cheap! Which is another reason to hang on for a few months before buying to put some more money aside.

Ideally, a 7 - 9 year old.

Something that hacks out alone or in company.

15.3 or over - I have very long legs.

Something that will go first or last, isn't spooky but is brave. Would happily jump, be capable of doing a dressage test. Has hunted - possibly on just a piece of thread and never gets excited or hard to hold, or bucks or kicks out hunting.

Something that never gets stressed about moving yards, would happily live alone or in company. Doesn't get fizzy and doesn't take a pull, but doesn't require booting to get it going. Doesn't care what saddle it wears, or how uncomfortable it is, just gets on with.

Is capable of eating a heavily mollassed feed to keep the weight on, and never gets silly

Something that loads with no issues whatsover.

And I would like to only pay £1500

Oh dear, it actually doesn't exist. Hey ho, keep trying!!!

Reactions: Rubic
Mr Cyrus the spotty space pony will always be number one and he is a super little all rounder. However he has limits to what level could comepte him at or be fair to ask him too.

Well if I won the euromillions or something and could have a second horse in the future probably something like this:

Good temperment with a personality and healthy and sound goes without saying.

No vices though can handle the occasional cheeky/excited buck, doesn't really phase me.

All rounder, as I want to do a few different things really.

Around 15.2

Most likely a gelding unless a very special good mare cme along

8-10

Capable of jumping 1m - 1.10m tracks consistently and clear

Capable of performing well at dressage at a prelim and novice level

Brave XC but safe and steady and have done ht's at prenovice level (about 80cm) at least.

Happy to hack alone or in company

Kinda like Cyrus pretty much, just up a level or two :D:D

Ideally, a 7 - 9 year old.

Something that hacks out alone or in company.

15.3 or over - I have very long legs.

Something that will go first or last, isn't spooky but is brave. Would happily jump, be capable of doing a dressage test. Has hunted - possibly on just a piece of thread and never gets excited or hard to hold, or bucks or kicks out hunting.

Something that never gets stressed about moving yards, would happily live alone or in company. Doesn't get fizzy and doesn't take a pull, but doesn't require booting to get it going. Doesn't care what saddle it wears, or how uncomfortable it is, just gets on with.

Is capable of eating a heavily mollassed feed to keep the weight on, and never gets silly

Something that loads with no issues whatsover.

And I would like to only pay £1500

Oh dear, it actually doesn't exist. Hey ho, keep trying!!!

Haha, I was looking through my list and I think I'd probably need to pay a fair bit. It is looking more likely I might need to wait until I'm 35 before I've got the money!!!

Haha, I was looking through my list and I think I'd probably need to pay a fair bit. It is looking more likely I might need to wait until I'm 35 before I've got the money!!!

I personally have never met a horse like it - they all tend to have some quirks.

I wonder what a horse like that would actually cost - one that you were able to do absolutely everything with, good on the ground, fantastic under saddle and not lazy or sparky or one that had to be cotton wool balled to get the best out of it - or if it actually exists!!

I personally have never met a horse like it - they all tend to have some quirks.

I wonder what a horse like that would actually cost - one that you were able to do absolutely everything with, good on the ground, fantastic under saddle and not lazy or sparky or one that had to be cotton wool balled to get the best out of it - or if it actually exists!!

Very true! Rubic had lots of quirks when I bought her but they were straightened out eventually although I think I actually preferred her when she was a bit fizzy/spooky, riding her was more of a challenge. Now (without her injury) I'd say she'd be the perfect 1st horse for someone, when I got her she was not a 1st horse!

Reactions: Dannii5691
Oh gosh if I am just dreaming, my current dream is:
  • dun with black points and white socks, or perhaps just dun with black points like Minnie
  • 15.1 or 15.2 and solid, a little Irish Draught would be favourite, or a really well built old fashioned welsh D, or a QH or mustang like Minnie (is there a theme here?)
  • a mare (like Minnie...) but not marish
  • show winning conformation, I do love a pretty horse
  • forward going, brave and adventurous hack
  • able to do a bit of going on the bridle for dressage
  • enjoys groundwork, in hand work and trick training (I would LOVE to train my horse to do a courbette in hand!)
  • sensible, great on the ground, with a bit of pony character
  • up for jumping especially XC jumps so we can do sponsored rides
  • easy to load and a great traveller
  • happy alone, so we can go on holiday together
  • barefoot and sound as a pound
  • comfy to ride bareback
  • ... and could go bridle less....

16.2 WB/KWPN black gelding age 5-7 to do elementary and higher dressage. Pop a jump up to 90cm and will do x country schooling for fun. Hack alone/in company.

As long as it had none of the faults on my other list I would take it on. Perfect

I honestly have my ideal horse now, couldn't better him in any way, he is everything I could ever want. The only thing I would change for his sake would be to be rid of his EMS.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
newrider.com