moving round bales ? tractor?

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
hmmm...

we moved here 3 weeks ago and with the house bought the contents of the barn... round bales of hay. There were a couple down being used already but Ive finished them now. I was hoping I might not need to be putting more out but the weather has gone horrid again and Bree is looking a little more to the side of poor than Id like. I know spring grass is on the way but she’s a busy programme of events coming up including a pleasure ride at the end of the month. Anyway.. I find myself unable to get these bales down as I am on my own and dont have access to a tractor. Any thoughts? Im looking today for someone I can get some small bales from to tide me through but Im cursing having to do that. How do you all manage with rounds? We have spoken about getting a small tractor but as we dont know much about them we’re trying to find out as much as possible before diving in and they are sooo expensive! thanks :)

you could ask a local farmer to help you? @Wally has a great little gadget trailery thingy for moving bales!

Im terrible at asking for help, I hate to bother people and i don’t really know them yet. They are all so busy at this time of year as well.

I can just about manage to move 5ft rounds on my own, but I have flat land and didn't need to move them more than about 50m, but once they are rolling they aren't too bad, with 2 or 3 people they aren't any bother. I have seen people push them along with a smaller vehicle, obviously one that they didn't mind it getting a bit beaten up. When it was very wet I left them in the barn and used a big builders sack (the 1 tonne job) and just took out as much hay as needed daily, I could stuff about 30kg of hay into one of those and drag it to where I needed it.

yes once rolling not to bad!

you can just see the bale carrier in this pic of wallys ( is my old doggy now sadly RIP my baby!) can hook up to a car or quad is really clever! tips them over and has a winch on

Attachments

• 1974383_269922879835137_1815746843_o.jpg
    1974383_269922879835137_1815746843_o.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Trewsers
it’s getting up to them, they are stacked up high... am pondering an arrangement with a long rope and my tow bar :oops:

Reactions: Gimp
when theres a will theres a way! Id do rope n towbar method to get down.. making sure its avery long rope LOL

Reactions: CharliesAngel
or even a thick piece of wood to lever itwith a climb up and a push ! ( been there done that with them stacked!)

I'd probably go with the rope and tow bar option to de-stack them :D just clear plenty of space so they don't wreck anything :p

Logic did two kinds a lightweight one for hay and straw, and this heavy weight one that does black bales.

Works with the quad and a car or 4X4

Reactions: Gimp and Trewsers
I can't shift a 5ft round on my own, though I can roll one. I would climb up, open it up, and pull the hay down. A pain but I could do it on my own!

Now that trailer looks very handy!!!! I do have a vid on my phone , of where hubby & his brother tried to move one with the quad and a wee trailer last winter... it is def one for you’ve been framed. The quad got struck, the trailer went ker-splat and the brother fell over. Id be killed if i posted it hehe

Reactions: Gimp
newrider.com