moving up from prelim to novice

candyman

May 6, 2015
When do you know it's the right time to make the move from prelim to novice dressage? I am going out regularly competing and scoring an average of between 65 and 68% and placing everytime out at prelim level. However we've only been at prelim barring one test last year since May. I'm going out roughly every 2 weeks competing on average. My instructor feels we should be contemplating it now and others who know me and my horse feel we are both more than capable of it. However our medium trot needs a fair bit of work and I haven't even started to teach him counter canter yet both of which are required at novice level. I do plan to start schooling the medium trot and hopefully teaching the counter canter as well but would you suggest we stay at prelim level for another couple of months or once the counter canter is established have a go at novice asap.

Pick a few novice tests that look like its rides nice and see how you get on.
Surely not every test includes medium work.

Reactions: candyman
have watched a few vids and done a bit of research and all the tests i can find include medium trot and a few strides of counter canter even at the basic level so guess I will have to crack on and see how we go practising at home and take it from there.

Why not go out and one one prelim and one novice test and see how you and your horse cope. I always think that it is more fun to go for the more difficult classes. You may well find that you do quite well at novice level due to all the people who stick at prelim so they can collect rosettes.

I'm thinking that is probably what I will do after a bit of practise at home first. My original plan was to aim for novice by end of September but i didn't expect to do quite so well at prelim level so quickly. He is a very sensitive horse so I do need to be careful not to overface him too much or he is the sort that will more than likely throw his toys out of the pram.

I moved up this year and do one prelim and one novice we are currently averaging 65 but have hit a couple of high 60s

It states show some lengthen strides so not a full length of medium so you will be fine.

I moved up because i wanted to challenge myself and ginger we get high 60s at prelim at all the venues we got to.

I think it is important to go to a couple of venues to get a better feel for your average as some places massively over score to make you go back.

Move up i bet you will be surprised how well you do.

As OBC said true medium trot is not required just a few lengthened strides, nor is true counter canter just the ability to not change for a few strides off a diagonal.

We find our horses settle better with the more interesting tests than the prelim, ( or even worse BE80/90 tests!!) Try a few, unless you are planning to sell the horse a blip on its record doesn't matter and you can always step up or down or mix them up.

newrider.com