My 6/8 month colt

Mandy Bo’s mummy

Jan 21, 2019
Hello everyone this is my first post I’m a new mummy to a 6/7 month old colt cob, he’s 12hh now his mother was 15hh and dad was the same(I think) what would you say he’s going to make ?? he’s a very heavy boy

Congratulations on your baby!

Show us a picture.For a start we love pictures. Also it'll help to judge what height he might make. If he's leggy he'll probably be taller! There are some useful rules of thumb about distance from ground to elbow, I think, but I can't remember for sure. Someone else will soon.

You won't be able to tell until he's at least 12 months old because at the moment his legs are still growing. Once he's over a year he grows from the belly upwards and you can do the string test or measure his cannon bone from the middle of the knee to the coronet band in a straight line, don't follow the leg just go straight. Then convert the inches into hands.... for example 14.5" will give you 14.2hh.

Yep I'd agree, difficult to judge/measure under a year old, but if both parents were 15hh you would generally expect somewhere in that region but could be a couple of inches either way

newrider.com