my attempt at some of "the 7 games"..

*-crazy-chaz-*

Whisper..♥
May 14, 2007
SHEFFIEEEEEELD! :D
hi all :)
ive had an attempt at parelli's "7 games" (well a few of them anyway lol :p) today.
we tried-
>game #1 (the friendy game)
>game#4 (yo-yo game)
>game #7 (the squeeze game)

G1 worked really well, after the 1st part of the 'game' we went for a wander to see what scary things we could go & look @ lol. she wasn't fazed, just carried on walking :).
G4 didn't work at all :confused:. she came to me, but when i asked her to go back she didn't. eventually she started to go back but not it a straight line,
in a wobble lol. always going to her left, & turning her head away from me.
G7 went brilliantly, mi ponio wasn't at all bothered by the small spaces. we started off with the gap @ around 3 & 1/2 foot, we got it down to... well, why don't you have a look yourself?? :)
SP_A0353.jpg

soz, this 1's wonky lol :p -
SP_A0354.jpg

vid.-(again, wonky, sorry lol)

^^ tbh by this time i think she was a bit bored of it :rolleyes: bless lol
i hope Iron Maiden didn't mind me using her jump wings.

Hi - you need to do the first 3 games before doing the other 4. Yoyo, circle, sidways and squeeze are combinations of friendly, porcupine and driving. That is why your yoyo game didn't work!! Have fun. Alyth

o right lol thanks. :) on the parelli website it didnt say to do them in any particular order, but it did say you have to do games 3 & 5 & to get them solid b4 doing game 6, but i didnt do that so i thought it would be ok.

hi.. I'm a little confused over game one because friendly game is all touching and getting desensitized mostly. http://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-7-Games-of-Parelli. (for a link of the explanations, hope this is helpful) Booger! This link now doesn't work, dunno why. Anyway have another window open that has this:

First you want to start out with "The friendly game." This game allows you to begin the trust process. You and your horse should be in an enclosed, large area and there should be no lead rope for this session. Take your hand and very slowly place it on the horses body. The neck is a good place to start. Gradually allow the horse to get used to you touching the neck. Choose a new place. Do this until you can touch the horse everywhere without it having a problem. Then mopove one to more loud or irritating things to touch the whole body with like a piece of clothe or a jar of something loud. This may take several sessions. Head shy horses will take extra times to touch the head. Before proceeding to step two, you should be able to put a small tarp over you horses head. This is going to take time. These are NOT one day things.

I had the carrot stick, with string and was tossing and rubbing the string over his back, neck, around his legs.. scratching place that feel good, and generally getting him used to being touched everywhere without any kind fo objection.

Every session started and ended wtih this exercise. But different people are doing different things I noticed. I currently am not doing parelli but will be revisiting our games for groundwork.

also if you were in an enclosure, you can do the part where you allow them to wander on their own, near but not looking at them, like reading a book will do. let them come to you and engage you, give them a stroke or just a sweet look and continue one. Sure helps with territorial horses.

Your horse is really sweet looking by the way. Total cuticus horsicus! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This order - I met a Friendly Porcupine Driving a Yo Yo, I Circled around him Sideways and became his favourite Squeeze.
Yes, the games build. For example, the Squeeze is done by sending the horse away from you on 180% of a circle, and disengaging the hind end (using Driving) so that the horse comes around to face you. Ideally the horse should disengage and face before they cross an imaginary line in line with your shoulder. So to do it right you need your circling sorted, and also your driving to disengage the hind end. Your feet should stay in the same place throughout. Another way to put that... stand in front of the object you are squeezing your horse through, facing it and with your horse to one side of you. Imagine a line drawn straight out of each of your shoulders to each side. You start by backing the horse along the line where he is standing, then send him in a circle round in front of you and the object, as they come out the other side you need to disengage them and have them face you before the cross the line on the far side.
I think there are some sites where you can get more info on how to work through the games. It's good to see it on vid if you can, can you borrow any Parelli stuff? Stay away from You Tube because some of the vids people put on there of them working through the games are awful.
If your horse isn't staying straight in a backup you may be asking for too much too soon. Rather than looking for a step or two before you let up the pressure, you need to quit at the first sign of a yield backward, and then build up from that.
I think if you decide to continue with this you will find a rope halter and 12ft line quite helpful, although personally I'd avoid those darn Parelli ropes with clips and buy the sort that Lodge Ropes sell!

Last edited:
G'day Chaz,

Here is a link to the icelandic pony site, they have an easy to follow explanation of the 7 games, it may help in understanding some of what is 'hidden' in the 7 games.
http://iceryder.net/7games.html

Sometimes the game is simplistic in appearance but has far reaching applications as the techniques become comfortable for you and the horse.
(that didnt sound right, but i hope you know what i mean :0) Comfortable sounds wrong but it describes the feeling i get when the horse and i both get it right.

BTW, CF, thank you for the free plug :0)
We will have to organize a trip to the UK and go from stable to stable custom making on site...hmmmmm, now that is an idea, anyone got a gypsy cob and van for lease ?????
What a way to spend an English summer, travelling the country side, meeting NR members and their horses, making rope gear, visiting quaint little stone or cob thatched pubs that still sell a ploughmans lunch.....and them drinking them dry!!!!!lol...lol. (all in the name of cultural research of course)

Yep Rob, do that it would be great! I will be contacting you soon to get a made-to-measure for my Arab's lil' seahorsey face, pity you can't be on-site to work it our for yourself.
There are some things you may need to revise in your plan...
We could probably fix you up a gypsy cob and van, however they don't do so well on the M25... so maybe best we fix you up with an option that has more horsepower!
We would of course be able to find you the little thatched pubs that sell wonderful real ales, ciders and ploughman's lunch. It might take a bit of forward planning because many of them have been modernised and made into things like Happy Eater pubs. Luckily us horsey people tend to know where to find the good places - we need them for refuge in the English Summer Dowpours. :D

i got my descriptions of the 7 games from the parelli website. i watch the parelli masterclass on h&c tv every sat. (how sad am i lol :p)
i'll have a look around for a better explaination. thanks guys, you've helped a lot :)
(o yh btw she had her rug on cos it was freezing! lol)

newrider.com