My horse is strange - is yours?

Free Adverts from New Rider

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Jess has to put 2 feet on the ramp (loading) and pause to asses it, if you try rushing her she can get really horrible to load, but if you give her 10-20 seconds she’ll load on anything 😋 she walks right off though. Bo used to jump off, top of the ramp to the floor, you just had to stand back 😆 he did get better as he got older.

Jane&Ziggy

Learning together!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Oh Lord I love Harvey. He is such a hunk.

I remember seeing a lovely video many years ago of a super-famous eventer loading himself to go home after a competition. He JUMPED the ramp and landed square in the box!

Reactions: GaryB and Huggy

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
When Raf was young he went through a difficult loading phase - he would do the trick of swinging out to the side instead of walking up the ramp. To start with we encouraged him out of it by attaching a lunge line on each side of the ramp and a person holding each one up. Of course I couldn't manage that on my own so I just laid the two lines on the ground. It worked just as well and for a long time that's how I loaded him. I'd prepare by laying my lunge lines down on each side of the ramp to mark out a 'corridor' on the floor and then walk him between them and up the ramp. He never tried to step over them, I don't know if that makes him clever or very stupid 🤔 😏

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Ramsey was shocking loading. No running out or backing up. He would get to the ramp, gaze fixedly to the left or right, and say "Trailer? What trailer? I don't see any trailer."

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
He looks such a good steady boy. Much like I'm going to look for next time!
Now we've got past the barging, bucking and mini rears, yes - he is quite a steady little Eddie! I'm very pleased with what a sweet fun boy hes turned into. Wouldn't swap him for the world.

• Love
Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com