my letter to john whitaker int ltd... (bit of a rant sorry!!)

Vicki1986

Mar 1, 2006
Dear Sirs,

I am a fan of John Whitaker products but am thoroughly dissapointed with the lack of pony sized items, especially in bridles/leather work, ponies are just as stylish as horses and cob sized horses/ponies so why the discrimination!

Please can you let me know if you plan on introducing any more of your existing/future products in pony size as I, and many pony club mums will no doubt be queing up fighting over stock !!

Yours,

Victoria-Pony owning-McCabe

I am AMAZED that they dont make so much of his stuff in pony size !! HELLO?! has he not heard of such a thing as spoilt brats on ponies screaming i want i want i want and daddy or mummy buying then all the latest 'in' thing ?! my god whoever decided on that huge blunder should be sacked drawn and quartered.

and on a personal note its starting to really p me off whenever i see something i like its not made in pony size so i am now committing myself to a one woman crusade of any people who dont make stuff in pony size! its discrimination! we dont all want big mashoosive beasts yet we should not sacrifice choice or style. and we should not always have be left with colour choices of pink or blue with stupid swirls and stuff (yes i know i have stuff like that but occasionally id like to buy something classy not tacky, or id atleast like to attempt to)

rant over....stepping away from the soap box... my apologies but this really gets on my lady humps

You have made a good point, tbh from what I have seen in my area the JW range appeals to kids far more than to adults and kids invariably ride ponies:confused: so can't see why they don't.

I get a bit ranty when I go for stuff for my ISH who wears cob size, everything I like is available in vast quantities in pony and full but sold out in cob:mad:

Kath x

must admit when i had a cob sized mare i found that too!

agree about it appealing to kids!

i just think not stocking pony size is like making things in pony and full size but not cob! its stupid. fair enough dont make as many perhaps if you think they wont sell but i know so many kids that love his stuff but cant buy it! and i really like the look of his breast plates etc but so annoying they dont come in pony size.

dont even start me on him not doing anything in his range in brown...haha i will be here all day ranting!!

Is it that they don't make the items you want in pony size or that the tack shops have made a decision not to stock the items. When setting up my equestrian business I looked at the JW range and from memory a lot of the range was available in pony size and the rugs started at 5'3 (not sure of what size you were looking for)

Emma

ive looked on john whitakers site and the bridlework and all leather work is cob or full only, no mention of pony so that must mean they dont make it in that size.
i havent looked at rugs to be honest, was so disgruntled about the tack couldnt be bothered haha :lol:

Do they not do brown, was sure I saw a bridle in brown:confused: well it wasn't a normal brown it was like a really bright tan colour, s'pose thats so you'd have to buy the saddle ot match:rolleyes:

Kath x

haha how funny! i just want a nice brown pony sized bridle for gods sake is it really so hard !! :( :mad: :confused: :D
i love the feel of pessoa bridles (was having a good old squueze of the leather t'other day in a shop) but that was a tan colour so no doubt they dont come in pony brown either?!
ive got the gfs grakle at the mo ands its ok for everyday use but its a bit cheap and nasty but what do i expect for £35 i guess!!

John Whittaker - hmmmm? Wouldn 't buy any of his stuff actually. Yes, I agree that they should make the stuff available for children as really, what adult would want it? As you may guess, I'm not a fan of his. Used to be in the 70s not long after he came into showjumping - I've grown up a bit now!!!!! LoL.

im not a particular "fan" of his i do think he has amazing talent, and some of his products are fab but some are not - and some are over priced!! think his clothing has been made very "chavvy" but thats not his fault its the people who buy and wear it (in my area anyway!)
alot of people slate his stuff but some of it i like

the pessoa bridles only come in oak bark - they do pony size

If your happy with your GFS - from the price it must be from the Advantage Range - why not get another GFS but get it from the Extra range - much nicer leather. Available in pony sizes, in black and havana. Depending on bridle between £99 - £110 RRP
Emma

Last edited:
mmm i may do. i must admit i looked at their pony havana hunter bridle think it was around £90 and it was really really lovely.
seeing as you know your stuff ;) do you know of anywhere that i can get pony sized breastplates? i really like the design of the one pippa funnel (i think) uses with the fur under the 5 points. anyhow i can only find bog standard cheapo nasty ones (one of which i have at the moment, and the leather has got knackered already its horrendous)
id also quite like one with clip martingale attachements just bcos im lazy but thats not imperative

i have the same problem but at both ends of the scale, i have a 11.1hh pony that jw stuff doesnt fit & my 7 year old really wants, & a 17.1hh who takes extra full & jw only makes up to full!!!

considering its mostly sjing kids or adults that want the stuff they should make it suitable for that,most of my sj friends have big horses & alot of the kids jump on small ponies:mad:

i think they do close contact saddles and bridles in pony size i hve the burgundy bridle for my daughters pony and the fetlock and tendon boots and he is only 13.1

newrider.com