My poorly foot

I broke mine just bending my foot over by placing it not entirely on a level surface, stepping partly on the ridge along side a track to the car park. But it is true that some small things cant be splinted and that as one ages one tolerates aches and pains.
My landlady broke her finger picking up a flowerpot! Sometimes I wonder if the bones have been weakened previously if something like this happens.

It’s still less painful than it was initially but still very painful, I can’t weight bare and it keeps swelling overnight so I went to a&e at midnight (thinking it would be quicker then), but they estimated a 4-6 hour wait to be seen, so left it. Tried my docs e-consult thingy which said I need an urgent appointment, then spent 50 minutes this morning in a queue to speak to reception, doc should call me later this morning to see if they think I actually need to be seen. This is exactly why I always put off getting anything looked at!

• Sad
Reactions: Kite_Rider
It’s still less painful than it was initially but still very painful, I can’t weight bare and it keeps swelling overnight so I went to a&e at midnight (thinking it would be quicker then), but they estimated a 4-6 hour wait to be seen, so left it. Tried my docs e-consult thingy which said I need an urgent appointment, then spent 50 minutes this morning in a queue to speak to reception, doc should call me later this morning to see if they think I actually need to be seen. This is exactly why I always put off getting anything looked at!
Oh heck, lots of vibes. What a hassle it all is.

Reactions: Jessey
My landlady broke her finger picking up a flowerpot! Sometimes I wonder if the bones have been weakened previously if something like this happens.
Not in my case. I have the X ray of my break. There is a long fine bone coming down your lower leg. The tip of this bone is attached to the foot by a tendon and in my case the tip of the bone has snapped off. It cant be joined up again so they gave me my X rays so that if I ever hurt that ankle again or needed a further ankle X ray, the new doctor would be able to see that damage already done.
I dont think I am that fragile. I manged to fall dismounting last week and got to my feet again with no bones broken. (thank goodness) I know the risks in old age as a friend of mine had to give up riding after her bones became weak and were broken by a heavy dog jumping up.

Jessey, you should even so get an X ray somewhere and somehow. Just dont go in the middle of the night as the day time staff who do therse things probably go home at 5 or 6.

Jessey, you should even so get an X ray somewhere and somehow. Just dont go in the middle of the night as the day time staff who do therse things probably go home at 5 or 6.
The waiting times in a&e in the day are worse.

I spoke with doc, got referred and the appointment was for 90 mins after speaking to them, in and out of the hospital in 15 minutes. No fractures so doc thinks tendinitis which is probably worse, physio starting Friday. Doc wants me off my feet (signed off work) for a few weeks, hoping physio is more realistic.

• Sad
Reactions: Kite_Rider
Urgh, while a break sounds drastic it usually heals faster than significant ligament or tendon damage. Fingers crossed that rest and the physio mean you'll recover quickly 🤗

Boo hiss. Lots and lots of healing vibes coming. Really hope it isn't such a long job, it's so impractical being told to rest when you have horses and commitments that go with them.

I am so sorry. They told me not to walk on it but that was impossible as the contents of our kitchen was at that time spread out on the living room floor due to re-decorating.
But I believed as our RI told me that bones and ligaments took the same time to heal? 6 weeks that is. And then physio, after the 6 weeks.

Bones generally heal/develop quicker than tendons, full healing of tendons can take a year, though the initial healing is about 6 weeks. I’m hoping my recovery will be significantly quicker than that if it’s just inflamed not torn or anything.

Fingers crossed for physio tomorrow. Hopefully it's "just" inflammed or strained and the correct exercises will strengthen it as it repairs and encourage it to heal in the correct pattern, but do try to rest it as much as you can when not doing the physio exercises. Is there anyone who can help you with the horses for a while?

Fingers crossed for physio tomorrow. Hopefully it's "just" inflammed or strained and the correct exercises will strengthen it as it repairs and encourage it to heal in the correct pattern, but do try to rest it as much as you can when not doing the physio exercises. Is there anyone who can help you with the horses for a while?
Not daily, I’ll see what the physio says and if needs be I’ll try and draft someone in every couple of days to poo pick with me, the one thing I’m struggling with is pushing the wheel barrow.

Reactions: carthorse
Not daily, I’ll see what the physio says and if needs be I’ll try and draft someone in every couple of days to poo pick with me, the one thing I’m struggling with is pushing the wheel barrow.
Be careful Jessey, if it’s any help my torn and partially detached ligament took about 18 months to heal, my own fault for not doing as I was told (needed surgery really but wouldn’t do it) it took a week of complete rest on holiday in Rhodes before I realised I really needed to listen to the gp for once in my life 😞 hope it’s feeling a bit better now.

I wasn’t impressed with the physio, she wasn’t sure why I’ve got pain under my foot and said it could be ligaments and/or tendon causing the pain on top/side and has given me ankle strengthening exercises when I was really clear my ankle doesn’t hurt one bit. And just said rest, use crutches and gradually start walking on it and reassess in a week.
I’ve booked in with my trusty osteo tomorrow, fingers crossed she can at least be a bit more definitive in what’s going on and what to do for speediest healing. And she’s told me to bring my swimming costume for the hot tub after (I’m going to her home practice) so that should help 🤣

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
I can only wonder if she thought a weakness in the ankle was causing the foot to overwork to compensate. In reverse I've found putting orthopedic insoles in my footwear (or wearing Vionic shoes - gamechanger for me) has reduces a lot of my knee and ankle pain and even means I can wear heels for a short time.

Maybe, she just didn’t seem very certain of anything. I’ve ordered some orthotics, should be here tomorrow. I’m going to call the doctor again on Monday and ask for a referral to a podiatrist, to try and get some that aren’t just me guessing what I need.

I’m still lame 😒 I saw my osteo on Saturday night and she definitely helped free it off, she thought the 5th tarsal had rotated. So I can now weight bare most of the time at least but breakover is still painful. I’m getting really irritated with it now, it’s just so annoying.

• Sad
newrider.com