Mysterious lumps & bumps! Any ideas?

KT C

Jan 24, 2007
Edinburgh
Was wondering if anyone else has come across this...

My horse seems to have developed a few lumps - look a little bit like fly bites, but we've not really had too many flies 'round these parts as yet, and he has been rugged most of the time when turned out. The are small - about 0.5cm in diameter, and don't seem to bother him at all - have poked & prodded!!:p He has one down his shoulder, and a couple which are nearer the saddle area.

He does tend to react to insect bites in the summer - nice big lumps :rolleyes: - but not convinced that is what this is.

Must really try to get a pick or something, but hairy as he still is, I'm not sure there'd be that much to see!

Any thoughts?

ted gets similar 2x a year -early spring and autumn

they are a reaction to something--either something in/on the grass or flies or ????? but anyway the lumps are collagen and it isn't dangerous - may be a little uncomfortble if under tack area so keep an eye on them

i had my boy to the vets and they did a scrape and culture/bacteria tests so it put my mind at rest -- cost about 80 quid but it was the 2nd time he'd had them and i was worried...might be worth having them looked at to reassure you:)

(if you picked at teds he didna care for it but there appeared to be only skin inside them-no pus or fluid)

I would firstly have the saddle checked if they're in that area; could be calcium deposits or just sweat rash/lumps.:)

newrider.com