nasty with feeds

leno289

Feb 10, 2005
lowestoft suffolk
we have had kash for sbout 5 months now - he is a rising 5 gelding - not that that matters -anyway when we got him his prev owner said that he only had food after he had worked and then only token amount and that he was only worked one a week.
Well since i have a youngster who is fed 2 daily i have also been giving kash a small amount of feed regardless of his work(he is worked 6 days a week and he was a little underweight when we got him).
over a period of time he has become more and more aggressive as taken food out to him - he began with just putting ears back but now has got to the point where he will charge at ya - ears back etc - i take a whip out with me - stand myself up square to him and tell him sternly no with the whip outstretched (other wise he continues coming) he will still continue to circle me looking real nasty - i make him stand until i have put the food down, soon as food down he a total different horse.
he can be stroked groomed the lot once he has food - he just starts as soon as he hears his food being made - he is otherwise great on the ground, great to lead etc. We have tried headcollaring him and leading him to his food but that just led to him rearing and pulling as well as spinnng round.
My daughter who he is for will now no longer take his feed out and who can blame her.
He is on 24/7 turnout, we have loads of grass and i also put adlib hay in his stable which he has access to but this remains untouched.

any further ideas very gratefully appreciated

newrider.com