Navicular, diagnosis and treatment

Dazzieboo

Sep 29, 2007
Suffolk
I own a homebred 16.3hh TB x ID Gelding, he is 21 yrs old. As horses lives go, he has had an easy time, with fun in all aspects, but no excessive work.

I had him with me up until 1997 when I had my second child and he went out on loan, with me keeping in constant touch with him, he is now in his 3rd loan home and the home he will probably spend the rest of his life with,I have an excellent agreement with the loanee and up until now, there hasn't been a problem.

He started to trip and stumble about 6 weeks ago, I suggested the farrier was called and his shoes adjusted, but was told it was his shoulder and not his feet, not wishing to undermind the loanee, I left it until I could speak to the Vet. Meanwhile he had a bad stumble and the rider fell off, the Vet was called out and doing just a pressure test of the sole, Navicular was diagnosed. Apparently the Vet asked if he had well fitted tack and it was pointed out that 10 years ago he was ridden in a saddle which was later found out to have a broken tree and the Vet has said that the broken tree has caused the Navicular :eek:.

I am a BHSAI, have worked in riding schools and racing yards as well as owning my own horses for over 30 years and I have never once heard about ill fitting tack causing an athritis based disease, can this really be true ?

Whatever the reason, the Vet has said there is no need for blood tests etc etc as she has confirmed the disease, we are now just faced with treating it, he has been put on bute with a possibility of warfarin being added later on.

Has anyone got any good, positive news about Navicular, anything which has helped your own horse ?, I have been told magnetic boots may help, but has this been proven ?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. :)

firstly i would def get a second vets opinion!! my tb x id gelding was diagnosed with navicular and that was only after nerve blocks and xrays! the vet advised box rest with two sachets of bute per day which did no good whatsoever, however there is still hope as i found that glucosamine and chrodroitin (i used cortaflex, expensive but good), magnetic over reach boots (worn 24/7) and liquid devils claw aswel as heart bar shoes and regular farrier attention worked very well for my boy. he was never competition sound again but was comfortable for hacking, small hunter trails and low level local shows. good luck!

I would personally be wary of a navicular diagnosis without x rays, especially if it was based on nothing more than the horse tripping and a reaction to hoof testers. Navicular syndrome, as opposed to a confirmed degeneration of the surface of the bone is often a catch all for any foot pain causing unsoundness. The foot pain often results from incorrect pressures in a deformed hoof capsule. In either case there is an incredibly high success rate in rehabilitating horses to complete soundness by removing the shoes and bringing the feet back in to balance with correct trimming.

Navicular disease can't be diagnosed without X-rays and even with X-rays its not 100% reliable since some horses have changes to the navicular bone but are totally sound while others show pain in the back of the foot without changes. Think its MRI scan that can be used to diganose navicular? If vet poked about a bit and decided it was navicular with no further tests the words 'the vet is an idiot' sums up the situation quite nicely :rolleyes:

A broken saddle can affect the way the horse moves and that can affect the feet but its generally something more immediate than navicular 10 years later.

Foot lameness can look like its in the shoulder sometimes and sore feet can cause soreness in the shoulder from change in the way of moving to compensate for sore feet.

Do you have any pics of the feet? Could be something as simple as foot balance or a realling minging case of thrush causing pain in the back of the foot.. and it doesn't sound as if this genius :megasarcasm: of a vet would spot things like that!

Second opinion from a good vet and/or farrier would be a good plan. Or possibly get a barefooter such as an EP, especially if it does turn out it is navicular since that responds amazingly well to barefoot.

Hmm, I'm with you on this one - how the hell do you manage to diagnose navicular by just pressure testing the sole? Its usually diagnosed by x-ray and even then bone changes which are used to recognise the 'disease' can show up on horses that are completely sound. Its pretty unusual to have it start so late in life I think.

Navicular 'problems' can be brought on by bad foot balance so maybe you could check his feet out/consider barefooting for a while as it returns the natural hoof function and blood flow.

2nd vet opinion tho' in the first place to work out if this is definately the problem cos it sounds a bit odd.

:)

Thanks, it is nice to know I am thinking along the same wavelengths as folks on here.

I am phoning the Vet myself tomorrow to hear first hand what she said, what she thinks and why she is so sure, she owns her own horses, one of which has Navicular and the symptoms match, IMHO she needs further training if she thinks she can make a diagnosis by matching syptoms. :rolleyes: with my lad being 21, the insurance is limited and I don't think x-rays are covered, but I will find out because if they are, I feel they should be done.

I feel the subject of the saddle was raised because of the loan agreement where it is stated the Loanee pays for all vets bills and treatments, deep down I feel if the blame can be passed on to something which happened before he went on loan, I am responsible for some of the bills. :confused:

I have said I will go over and see him this week and have been requested to go over on Thursday or Friday so I can meet up with the loanee, I have never made an appointment before and won't this time, I will hopefully see him on Monday or Tuesday and I will take a photo of his feet and post it on here, I also want to be there when he is shod in 2 weeks time, that will be interesting as the farrier said the lameness was in his upper shoulder / back. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies.

Navicular SYNDROME does not mean it is actually navicular disease.
My friend has gave her horse 9 months off and took off his shoes, as well as giving gallium nirtare which has good write ups, and he is coming sound.

The dreaded Navicular

This is what my horse is supposed to have. He had Xrays a couple of years ago and apparently there were signs of Navicular. However he went sound after that for some time. Over the last few months he has been lame on and off and of course, it has to be a Navicular according to the vet.
What is Gallium Nartare? I have been told to keep him as a pet now but I don't want to give up riding him. He is on one bute a day which is doing nothing for him. I want to try to at least get a short hack and keep him comfortable, We don't jump anyway or do anything too drastic.

Its not cheap and its from america. Personally i dont trust it, as in a different form its radio active. I personally think the barefoot has worked, but she did both things together so wont know.

Hi

The horse i share with his owners just been diagnosed by the vet as having navicular but but doesn't seem to be 100% sure after a week after diagnosing him. He had nerve blocks, x rays etc.
Just found out the drugs they put him on whilst he was at vets was Warfarin and it can stay in their system for about 2-3 weeks. His owners talking about buying Magnetic boots because at the moment he can't go out until the paddocks been made up by the yard owner (horses are being swapped paddocks too.) His legs are swelling up so she's thinking the boots may help. Does anyone know if this will help or hinder the warfarin? Or cause too much blood to flow? Would have said good idea but don't know how his legs would react with the warfarin.
Bless his cotton socks he jumped the fence of the sick paddock hence him not being able to go out there now:eek:. He's got digital shoes (xmas trees) on his front legs- they're meant to help. If they don't he's going back to bare foot- trouble is he gets foot sore! Nothing like bit of a drama queen.:rolleyes:

I think the vet needs their head examining personally. A navicular diagnosis is hard to make with x rays & MRI let alone by just simply poking the foot!:mad::eek:
It could be a whole host of things which are actually wrong.
I would certainly get a second opinion & would certianly request nerve blocks & x rays before you go any further. I am fairly sure my old vet would have diagnosed my horse with navicular but I changed to one which is ruddy goot with lameness, and he solved it(touch wood) with a few weeks off, a total rebalance of his feet, and he is also on a sachet of bute a day at the moment just while his feet are settling.
He was shod & rested for 3 weeks wihtout any medication and was almost totally sound which was an amazing improvement! He is now like a spring lamb & clearly feels so much more comfortable.

I hope you manage to find a more accurate diagnosis soon.

newrider.com