Need a little advice RE weight/grazing.

mogadoga

Louise
Jun 13, 2005
Gateshead!
Alex is 16hh. Cob. Although not sure exactly what is in him and he is not a true chunky tank of a cob.
Anyway, after my back injury last year he was 'left' as to say, i worked him 6 days a week, and then someone plodded with him about 3/4 times a week. Huge difference, so he did get podgy.
Then when i was able to ride again i found i had to get my gallbladder removed so again he was back at square one. Plodding 3/4 times a week. This was April. He was HUGE. And because of a lami risk he went into the 'starvation field'.Now he wasnt starving, and was fed so he got his vits/mins. But the weight has dropped off. He isnt ribby, but for the type of horse he is he could have a little more coverage. His back end isnt square, but isnt as round as it should be. And he was slightly tucked up. Although wasnt savage for food! I did also realise a decrease in energy.

So last night i put him back into his normal field, which as pleanty grass, although not inches high. I have brought him in today with a net, and rode, and put him out again tonight.
Do yous think i should continue this for a few weeks so he doesnt totally gorge himself? Or will i just leave him and bring him in to ride. Im scared he will get huge again, so i have others watching his weight for me too, as its always harder to see when you see your horse everyday. But with so many horses getting lami i am worried.

Anyway does this seem ok?

(also cut his feed down, but he is still getting his vits/mins :))

sounds like a good plan to keep bring ing him in for the exact reason you said!! Alternitivley you could maybe use a grazing muzzle? Perosnaly i dont like them but i think its personal choice!!!

I had the opposite problem i bring mine in for a few hours a day to LOSE weight!! but it would definatly stop him stuffing himself!! Good luck!

newrider.com