need help and fast

mad4horses

Oct 15, 2008
burnley
right i am looking after my mums plants while she is on holiday she is back friday, i have noticed that a couple of her plants are dying, 1 is a clematis with pinkish flowers the other is a hunnysuckle plant, the clematis leaves have started turning brown and falling off so has the stem and the vines the flowers leaves are falling off too, the hunnysuckle plants leaves are folding in and a few leaves are a really light green and one stem is pure black i am really worried as to what is wrong and can they be saved, i spoke to my brother whos there and he said im doing all i can, the thing is they are my mums best two plants and i feel sick to think i may have done some thing to klll them, or could it be the heat thats caused it because they are very big plants, so i suppose i am wanting to know is this normal do these plants die off because im really bricking myself here thanks for any help or info as i need it asap really

I'm not a great gardener so other's on here might be of more assistance.

Are the clematis leaves withering off and dying? There's a possibility that you might have Clematis Wilt http://gardening.wsu.edu/column/07-23-00.htm all is not lost and it may recover.

As for the honeysuckle, is it in a pot? It could be simply that it's become rootbound and the pot is too small.

Sorry I can't help anymore than that I do hope that they recover, a lot of my plants are having a few problems due to the heat. It's a bit of a struggle not to underwater but not to overwater either.

Go to your nearest proper garden centre in the morning (not B&Q types)

They should be able to help you, take pics if you can.

No advice from me, I can kill plastic plants :D

If all else fails buy a couple of new ones the day before she comes back, she might not notice :cool:

Sillyt question: have you been watering them? If so, have you done it in the evenings or very early in the morning? If you water them in full sun they won't like it.

If you have been watering them (whenever) have you, especially if they are in pots, over watered them? If there's water in the bottom of the pot, tip it out and let them drain. They probably don't like their bottoms wet. Most plants seem to prefer to be a bit too dry as opposed to sodden.

Are their any aphids on them? My honeysuckle and clems are grown together and occasionally get attacked by aphids - a quick squirt about with a systemic bug killer does the trick (along with a drink).

Otherwise - go with rtk and Dragzb.

Good luck!

I'm not a great gardener so other's on here might be of more assistance.

Are the clematis leaves withering off and dying? There's a possibility that you might have Clematis Wilt http://gardening.wsu.edu/column/07-23-00.htm all is not lost and it may recover.

As for the honeysuckle, is it in a pot? It could be simply that it's become rootbound and the pot is too small.

Sorry I can't help anymore than that I do hope that they recover, a lot of my plants are having a few problems due to the heat. It's a bit of a struggle not to underwater but not to overwater either.

thank you, yes the clematis leaves are withering off you only have to touch them and they fall off:( the honeysuckle is in a purpose built garden so has plenty of space

Go to your nearest proper garden centre in the morning (not B&Q types)

They should be able to help you, take pics if you can.

No advice from me, I can kill plastic plants :D

If all else fails buy a couple of new ones the day before she comes back, she might not notice :cool:

:D lol at killing plastic ones, ha ha i think she would notice TBH they are huge:(

Sillyt question: have you been watering them? If so, have you done it in the evenings or very early in the morning? If you water them in full sun they won't like it.

If you have been watering them (whenever) have you, especially if they are in pots, over watered them? If there's water in the bottom of the pot, tip it out and let them drain. They probably don't like their bottoms wet. Most plants seem to prefer to be a bit too dry as opposed to sodden.

Are their any aphids on them? My honeysuckle and clems are grown together and occasionally get attacked by aphids - a quick squirt about with a systemic bug killer does the trick (along with a drink).

Otherwise - go with rtk and Dragzb.

Good luck!

hi yes iv been watering them about 6 at night even as late as 8, they are in purpose built gardens that my mum made out of stone. i noticed the clematis looked odd the other day and the honeysuckle too but i just thought it was the heat but tonight i could see there was something really wrong ,i didnt go yesterday because we had rain forcast for last night i havent noticed any aphids on them thanks for your advice

Clematis... cut the stems down to ground level, I know it sounds harsh, but it may save it.. also obtain a fungicidal spray, and give it a dousing after..:)
I've done a lot of research on it lately, as mine suffered a sudden death too.. it has just started to regrow:D and I cut it back 3 weeks ago ;)

Clematis... cut the stems down to ground level, I know it sounds harsh, but it may save it.. also obtain a fungicidal spray, and give it a dousing after..:)
I've done a lot of research on it lately, as mine suffered a sudden death too.. it has just started to regrow:D and I cut it back 3 weeks ago ;)

ok thank you:) do you think it is deffo dying then? this is like a bad dream haha i know they are only plants but im so worried because they are my mums and she trusted me to look after them and i feel like i have failed:( god knows what she is going to say

ok thank you:) do you think it is deffo dying then? this is like a bad dream haha i know they are only plants but im so worried because they are my mums and she trusted me to look after them and i feel like i have failed:( god knows what she is going to say

The stems might be dying, but with a bit of luck, the root system will be unaffected, so taking action asap, will hopefully save the plant, apparently, if the stem has become damaged in any way, fungus can get in and cut off the water supply, hence the plant 'wilts'.. any growth above the damage dies off, but below, the plant should be fine.. cutting down to the base, will give it the best chance.
Also give the clematis a tomato based feed, as soon as you can (one that's based on feeding tomato plants, to be fed once a week), the fungicidal spray should help protect it from happening again, though it will need to be treated every 2 weeks over the growing period..
Be warned though, I found a gardening centre that had no knowledge onhow to treat clematis wilt, my info is directly off the net;) though I'm afraid I can't remember the site, I can at least give you some life saving info for your plant;)

The stems might be dying, but with a bit of luck, the root system will be unaffected, so taking action asap, will hopefully save the plant, apparently, if the stem has become damaged in any way, fungus can get in and cut off the water supply, hence the plant 'wilts'.. any growth above the damage dies off, but below, the plant should be fine.. cutting down to the base, will give it the best chance.
Also give the clematis a tomato based feed, as soon as you can (one that's based on feeding tomato plants, to be fed once a week), the fungicidal spray should help protect it from happening again, though it will need to be treated every 2 weeks over the growing period..
Be warned though, I found a gardening centre that had no knowledge onhow to treat clematis wilt, my info is directly off the net;) though I'm afraid I can't remember the site, I can at least give you some life saving info for your plant;)

ok thank you very much for all your advice it has been very helpfull

ok thank you very much for all your advice it has been very helpfull

Thanks, you'll have to let me know how it goes on.. with a bit of luck, you should start seeing some regrowth within the next month;)
And remember, it's just one of those things, try not to worry, your mum will understand.. it could be weather related, my plant was damaged by the wind/downpour.. it blew a gale one night and transformed my plant into the dead zone:eek:

Last edited:
Thanks, you'll have to let me know how it goes on.. with a bit of luck, you should start seeing some regrowth within the next month;)
And remember, it's just one of those things, try not to worry, your mum will understand.. it could be weather related, my plant was damaged by the wind/downpour.. it blew a gale one night and transformed my plant into the dead zone:eek:

your welcome:) yes i will keep you informed on how its doing:) and your right it could be down to the weather she will understand :) good to hear yours is on the mend:) my mums back yard is a little sun trap it gets really hot in there and its only small the clematis is really tall so is the honeysuckle so they might have taken most of the sun

I actually thought it had succumbed for a while, but found it had sprung back to life the other day.. I've moved it to a more sheltered spot next to a fence.. it was growing up an arch, but I guess it was too exposed:(
It had just been about to flower (it had large buds) when it just went limp:(

I actually thought it had succumbed for a while, but found it had sprung back to life the other day.. I've moved it to a more sheltered spot next to a fence.. it was growing up an arch, but I guess it was too exposed:(
It had just been about to flower (it had large buds) when it just went limp:(

thats a real shame, but good its sprung back into life :)they are so pretty when they flower my mums looked lovely really nice pink flowers it was growing up the trellis looked really beautiful was the focus point in the yard really, think she has had it 4 year if i remember correctly :)

newrider.com