Need help deciding what to do

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Hi everyone,

I need some of your advice/ opinions on what you would do.

Currently , am loaning poppet , who i really love , we have had alot of fun together she has also kept me going when i have been going through some very tough personal problems. I have had her .. 2 years this year and loved every minute. The problem is poppet has a bad back and i cant ride her , though i have no idea how long according to people on the yard it seems like she could be out of action for a long time:cry: I am currently still doing my days that i have her but i arent paying or riding. But another woman who has a 14.2 pony asked me if i wanted to loan her tonight, she wants someone who knows how to handle her when she throws a tantrum and wants someone long term. etc With this pony i can ride and jump, which i cant do with poppet i can also take this new pony to some shows, showjumping/ dressage etc. But i think to myself that when poppet cant be ridden i cant just say oh well i am not loaning her as i think its tight and i do love poppet.

I was thinking of doing poppet and this new pony but when it comes to winter it will be very hard for me to do both and do well at college etc.

I dont know what to do , am going to have a word with poppets owner and see how long she will be out of work for. But i dont want to come across as selfish to poppets owner, am so confused.

It's a toughie.. I should think Poppets owner will understand, if you decide to move on, as spending the summer with no ride, isn't going to be much fun for you.
You could always say you'll still help out on the odd day, if she's really struggling. I myself would dearly love to have someone as devoted as you as a sharer, and if it came to a similar situation, I'd have to accept that as better than losing help completely..

I think you are doing the right thing talking to Poppet's owner first. Be very honest and up front and ask her to do the same regarding Poppets long term riding prospects.

As Darkstorm says no-one would blame you for wanting to have a horse on part loan that you can actually ride. Having said that if Poppet can come back into work in the near future and be back to normal, it would be a shame to give her up if you think that much of her. Depends what you want to do and what she's capable of doing.:)

Another way of doing it is saying to the other horse's owner, that your committed to Poppet, but if she wants any help regarding exercising her horse whilst she finds a sharer, or until Poppet is better, you'd be available.

Let me stress to you, depending on how she's hurt her back, reflects on what work she'll be doing when she's better. It could be weeks of gentle exercise, or months, it's down to how severe the injury is.

Are you doing stretching exercises with her, to help improve her mobility? I take it she's getting physio from a chiropractor.. if not, perhaps see what help it could be for her;)

Right so i spoke to the other owner today and she said that i have her today and have her on monday and let her no what i think as she wants to know. But poppets owner doesn't know how long poppet will be out for until the vet comes. And this other owner wants to know. She also said that when she next sees poppets owner she will be asking her weather she wants to loan her horse. So its left me in a tricky spot and i dont really know what to do now.

Do you think Poppets owner will be interested in loaning this other pony?

Could you perhaps share both ponies with poppets owner and stick to your usual days.

Oh dear, I have to say that this Owner of the 'new' horse doesn't sound
very caring, in fact she sounds quite 'pushy'.. Sounds as though
she is desperate to get this Horse out on loan for one reason or another.

Mention it to the Owner of Poppy, who knows, if this 'new' horse
suits you both you may be able to come to an arrangement with the
Owner between you..

Thanks I do think that she wants me to loan her as she was saying that she wants someone who can handle her etc saying that i would be good for her. Truth is i like this other horse but i love poppet. The new horse is already ridden by the owner and a girl yet they dont ride in the 6 weeks hols. Yet the new owner said that i wont be able to ride her in the 6 weeks hols she didn't say that but she was getting at that and i dont want to be in a position like this. I love poppet as she has really helped me get through these past to years and i know her, what she will do , how bad she would react and .. ohh i dont know i want a horse to ride but i dont wanna give up pops and i cant really do both horses, when it comes to winter :( Also its gone around the yard that i will now be loaning this new horse out. I told one girl today, nothing was set in stone but there could be a chance that i might be loaning this other horse. Also i have to give poppets owner a months notice... *sighs* Then theres thw whole thing of poppets owner could loan this new horse and i dont know if we could both share the new owner wants one person really , long term, someone like me :( I dont know :(

I'm afraid from what your describing Lauren, I'd walk away.. there's something about the way she's trying to pull at your heart strings... all I can say to you is be careful, don't allow yourself to be backed into a corner:unsure:

Hmm.. thanks for the advice, I can do more with her and i love the yard everyone is so friendly and we all get on well but i dont know what i should do I have been there nearly 2 years :(

Sadly am kinda backed into a corner already..:( I have to let her no about this loan horse by tomorrow if i want to loan her though she did day if poppet can come back into work i just give her a months notice and let her no, though i haven't being able to speak to poppets owner about when the vet will be down as poppets owner. Emily, does not no either as the vet has not been down shes going to ask emily and am thinking that if i dont say yes and emily says she wants to loan her then i will have nothing to like.. do like no horse to ride ( that is if poppet would be out of action) so .. i dont know.Another thing, am pretty sure she said that i wont be able to ride her in the 6 weeks hols and before she said i could :(

Last edited:
Lauren, I can see where your coming from.. speak to poppets owner asap.. She needs to know how you feel, and if she values you as a sharer, then she'll understand either way..
I know if I was in her position, I wouldn't want to pull the rug from under your feet.. who would help her out if she was to do that?
I'm sending you positive vibes.. I wish I could help you out, but too far away x

newrider.com