need her to use back end more! how?

twinkle11

Oct 23, 2005
essex
well title say all really. need her to step under more not so much need anymore forwardness just need her to drive from back end than from her front.

any suggestions would be great:confused:

half halts. they encourage the horse to take more weight onto their hind quarters. Imagine a half full lemonade bottle sitting horizontally. When you tilt it slightly forward, the liquid rushes to the top and the weight is all carried there (i.e. like a horse too on the forehand), tilt the bottle back, liquid flows to the bottom of the bottle and hence all the weight is there, same as applying a half halt to a horse, the weight is shifted onto their hind quarters. That should start encouraging your horse to use their back end more, and be a starting point for her to be encouraged to step more under and not trundle along on her forehand. Polework, in particular raised poles, will also help as has been mentioned :)

Have you tried dummy transitions? You ask for downward transition then immediately ask for upward, I find this quite effective.

I've never heard of dummy transitions. Is it a bit like a half halt when you collect up to rebalance? :confused:

asking for rein back increases the need for the horse to think about where the hind legs are, lift the back etc. Sask for three/five steps back then continue forward again.

It's a case of having lots of different things to do, keeping the variety but also the pressure for the horse to keep trying.

Use a light seat on the hill work for starters- up and down. walk and canter work better for strenthening the back muscles.

Also, try asking the leg forward with your seat bones, get into a rythum and ride with these bones, that should help focus the horses feet.

Alternate one sided raised poles (one pole raised at the right side, one pole raised at the left side) will make her more aware of picking up her legs.

Another good exercise is - prop 4 poles on a tyre so it resembles a star, and walk her around it - the inside legs have to step higher than the outside. Sharpens up the rider aids too as its easier to fall out than step the poles.

newrider.com