Need some advice please :(

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
4 weeks ago my horse was seen by another person who wasn't my usual farrier . My horse had been presenting intermittent lameness on one hoof since then. As his workload has increased (only lightly) I thought I was seeing something but other liveries couldn't. Something was niggling though and I thought "Stuff it." and went back to normal farrier. Horse was unshod and had been all winter, typically coming into spring he has always had shoes back on. So he had them put back on.

Horse was still sore on this foot, so vet out that same day, shoe off and she look for signs of an abscess and to get a better look. She went over his hoof with hoof testers and he flipped out. So we quickly identified where he was sore !

Box rest and bute were the treatment and he seemed to come good. Shoe went back on and he's now lame on the other front foot. He's field sound but as soon as he hits hard standing, his head lowers and you can see him compensating with short strides. :cry: In 6 years of owning him he has NEVER been lame, to see him like this is really upsetting me. The vets have been involved every step of the way and he is having x-rays done now to see what we are dealing with.

I'm normally optimistic about things but i can't help getting the feeling it's going to be bad news and I'm looking at a PTS option :cry:

A trim would't make him this sore 4 weeks on would it ? :(

first of all - don't panic!

Could it be lami related? footsore could stem from a host of things including a touch of lami, a 'cut throat' trim, hooves not growing in winter and therefore becoming a tad flat etc.

if it's any consolation, mine's been like this since the end of the summer, vets can't work out what's wrong either and she's permanently on danilon at the moment ... but happy, which is the main thing.

PS: did I mention 'don't panic'? He's lame once in six years, why do you think you'd have to put him down?

We have had the same here this year,

Friend's horse had one abscess in front foot, got to the bottom of that one only for him to get one in the other straight away. This was back in November, in the end we gave him the winter off and only just started to ride him.

Other friend abscess burst out through the heel, I dug it out, only for the lamness to get better then worse again. Got vet to come and be a lot braver with the digging, found it had run under the sole. He dug more gunk out, and she went sound. Went to shoe her and the ruddy thing bust out at the toe!

Another friend's mare has ad an abscess. it's been a winter of being up to my oxters in foot pus. Don;t panic, just time will sort it.

I am panicking aren't I ? :eek:

The vet looked for and abscess but there was none to found. He's never had one before,thought wrong might have had grumblings of one a few years ago but nothing came of it.

If it was one surely it would have come to a head 4 weeks on ? And why is he now lame on the other front ?

they very often bilateral abcess, any weakness in the opposite foot from taking the extra stress/pressure from the orginal affected foot, Charlie went from one to another round all 4 and then back again, 2 of them under ran- not a pleasant year that one - Acorn had an abcess a month or so back following his hamstring injury on the front foot taking pressure, got over that and then had an abcess in the opposite a few weeks later, hes a bit off it today but think that's more to being a silly sod yesterday and thinking he can run about again without consequences.

Farrier has been and it's definately not an abscess. Shoe is back on at least and he's definitelyhappier with the shoe on. But getting the feeling there is something else brewing in his leg :(

I haven't got anything helpful to add, but I am thinking of both of you and hope that he improves soon. When are the x-rays being done? I hope that he is less sore very soon. x

Oh Ruskii I'm sorry to hear this, it brings back memories from my own panic - I had Flipo dead and buried five million times over in my head but the X-rays really brought clarity and I hope they do for you aswell.

Has it changed leg? Or have I misunderstood? If yes then it's strange to change so suddenly - I would be querying early grade lami, whether he has been trimmed too short, nail bind or abscess as a start ... Thinking of you xx

newrider.com