Nervous after fall at canter

nmwunduke

Aug 15, 2002
Central Florida
Visit site
I've been taking private lessons twice weekly for several months now and have really been enjoying it (despite starting out in my 30s, with 3 kids and nothing like the athletic abilities I enjoyed when I was younger).

A few weeks ago, I fell while cantering. Nothing major, just sort of slid/jumped off to the side when I felt like I was losing my balance. I wasn't hurt at all and figured "no biggie".

Well, now I find I'm too nervous to attempt cantering again. Even when I'm doing a fast, extended trot, I find myself getting tense as we pick up speed.

Should I bite the bullet and canter? Or should I continue as I am and canter when I feel a bit more secure?

i'd probably concentrate on getting confidence back before rushing into canter if you know your are tensing up in trot then canter will be difficult. As you are having private lessons i would ask your instructor to give you some lessons on the lunge so you can work on your position and relaxing. then canter on the lunge -you will only have to concentrate onyou as the instructor will be in control of the horse.
good luck - it will all come together in the end:)

I had a bad fall a few years back. I was doing cross country on a young horse i was helping to bring on. It was just an exercise not a competition. We were galloping up a hill and he spooked at a pheasant and bolted....isnt that the most scary thing to have happen a horse bolting???? I held on for as long as i could but he began to buck. I went up his neck...would have been alright if I hadnt dropped the reins, which he then put his leg through, fell onto his knees. I went flying through the air (rather spectacularly I was later told by someone watching, lol) and somersaulted onto the ground. Hurt like hell and I couldnt move for about 10 minutes. My horse had now decided that the pheasant wasnt so scary anymore and was casually eating the grass next to me. That happened 3 years ago. This September was the first time since that accident that I have been able to gallop. I still only trust my own horse I would not do it on someone elses....yet. My advice is to push yourself as far as you are comfortable with. As soon as you start to feel nervous, slow down or stop. And only do it on a horse you feel you can trust. And dont be embarrassed to ask for help or advice. Good luck :D and you will be able to do it!

Although good experiences will help you get past your fears, tense canters probably won't. If you're too nervous to relax just yet after the fall, the canter experience won't be pleasant for you or the horse. The fun is in the journey, so take your time and enjoy it!

Hi there,

c4t, that sounds like a really bad fall - I've been on a few bolters myself, and it's a horrible feeling when you realize that the horse under you is GONE, and you, the rider, do not exist in their minds, they are just a complete bundle of pure instinct at the moment! If I can't "get the horse back" (ie. get them to remember that Mum is riding), within about 3 strides, I've usually lost it and wind up getting tossed or having to bail.... ugh.

I've been lucky to have some great coaches, and one of them dealt with fall-offs this way:

1) if student falls off at canter and gets rattled.... she moves the rider "down" a horse level (ie. switches you back to an absolute packer-pony), who you ride for a bit until you get your nerve back and then switch back to the original horse....

2) if the problem was really about the rider's ability of riding the canter, she switches to doing lots of small jumps (and we're talking pretty small, here) at the trot... the horses or ponies will normally stride off after the jump in a slow canter, but because your focus is on the jump you don't even notice the few strides of canter that get sneaked in... after a few lessons of this, suddenly, you're cantering around and don't even notice!

Anyway, hang in there, your confidence will return. I've been bucked off more times than I can count and truly sympathise....

HANG ON IN THERE!!!

Take things at a comfortable pace.....I was bolted with a few times and now, even though I am comfortable with fast paces on the horse I ride at the moment..I'll always remember the feeling of not being able to do a damn thing!! I remember just clinging to the mane with my eyes closed until we stopped!!!
It took me a long time to be able to canter/ gallop in open spaces but slowly it gets better.....you definitely need to be relaxed though as it helps the horse to be relaxed too...easier all round!!!
I think the lunge lessons (mentioned above somewhere) are an excellent idea - very self indulgent and confidence building!!!

Best of luck, let us know how you get on!!!

Go out in the New forest for a hack with the New Rider Crew!!!

I came off Bren last year - he spooked - bolted, bucked (so big he nearly went over) and I got dragged when my foot got caught int he stirrup. (I'd just gone in to a canter when he spooked). In anger of - you're not throwing me off like that I got straight back on him and cantered him. Next time I went to the yard - I cried at the thought of trot. Bren knew I wasn't up for it and then refused to move.

About 6 weeks later there was an opportunity for a hack in the new forest with some people frm New rider. I ws at the stables the day before and made up my mind to canter Bren before I went on the hack - I stayed at the yard over four hours before I got the nerve to tack Bren up, lead him to the school, and walk, trot - and canter!! I also had a good friend (who rides well canter him first to take any fizziness out of him).

The next day I went on the hack - it was fantastic - we went flat out accross those plains and the horse I was on Centi - was 17hh!!! After that riding Bren was plain sailing!

Don't rush anything - do what you feel you are ready to do - eventually you'll either throw caution to the wind - from sheer frustration of going too slow - or your confidence will build and you'll do it without realising.

Remember - rushing things with confidence is like building on sand - quicker to build but quicker to crumble! Slow work builds progress.

Just enjoy riding for now - you'll get there in the end.

Nicola

Nervous at canter

Re bolting: Part of the problem is that no-one ever teaches us what to do when the worst happens. We have to wait until it does. Next time you have a theory lesson ask your instructor to give you a few pointers. For example if your horse bolts in a field or open area try pulling him round into a circle - he'll soon get bored. Another thing which is invaluable when on a bolting horse is to grip with your knees. This is very old-fashioned and the exact opposite of what you are taught these days but it works, I promise you, and passing a BHS test is not the most important consideration in an emergency like this!

I think the most improtant thing to remember about riding is that it is supposed to be fun so there is no reason why you should make yourself do things that you are not comfortable with. Take things at your own pace and enjoy yourself!

newrider.com