Pollypocket295

Returning to riding
May 2, 2021
Hey hope everyone is doing good
so i had my 1st lesson back since the start of lockdown a year ago
Prior to this i could walk/trot/canter okie.
I was assigned a lovely cob type horse
And was told hes a bit speedy/forward.
I was given him as the 2 other ladies in my lesson hadnt ridden in a longer time
Iv not ridden a forward/lively horse before and it really unsettled me as he was throwing his head speeding up not stopping spinning ect.
Hes an absolute gentlemen its just i feel as tho i wasn't ready for that type of horse yet.
As the lesson went on my confidence plummeted and my instructor ended up having to hold him or run along side as we were trotting. I could see and feel that he was becoming frustrated with me as the lesson went on threw no fault of his own .
i feel he needed somone more confident that me.
Would i be best to ring and ask for a different maybe slower horse
And i would really really appreciate any advice in riding more forward horses
Thank you

Welcome to NR. Yes, I'd say you definitely should ask for a more settled horse. You're paying for your lessons, and it's supposed to be fun! Get your confidence back, and perhaps you'll even be asking for this horse in the future!

Like @Huggy I would say that when you book your next lesson say you want something quieter than the last horse you rode. It's the school's job to provide horses suitable for their clients, not the client's job to try and cope with something that scares them - saying you had him because the other riders were rustier is no excuse at all.

To ride more forward horses you really need to be more secure and quiet in your position as well as being confident on them. It comes with experience, but some riders just don't like more forward horses and it has nothing to do with right or wrong or being a good or bad rider. Also don't confuse forward with sensitive, being off the aids or indeed being downright rude and tanking off.

Reactions: Pollypocket295
Welcome to NR. Yes, I'd say you definitely should ask for a more settled horse. You're paying for your lessons, and it's supposed to be fun! Get your confidence back, and perhaps you'll even be asking for this horse in the future!
Thanks for the reply its super appreciated and i definelty hope to ride him again one day

Reactions: Huggy
Like @Huggy I would say that when you book your next lesson say you want something quieter than the last horse you rode. It's the school's job to provide horses suitable for their clients, not the client's job to try and cope with something that scares them - saying you had him because the other riders were rustier is no excuse at all.

To ride more forward horses you really need to be more secure and quiet in your position as well as being confident on them. It comes with experience, but some riders just don't like more forward horses and it has nothing to do with right or wrong or being a good or bad rider. Also don't confuse forward with sensitive, being off the aids or indeed being downright rude and tanking off.
Thank you so much for your reply . It is really appreciated . I will definetly be asking for a quieter horse for sure . I dont think he was tanking off i was definetly my signals were not correct and he was sensitive to myself be tense i think . Thank you again for the advice 😊😊😊

Another thought. The riding school didn’t know you particularly well and hadn’t seen you for a year (not that that is anyone’s fault). The instructor may well have fed back how it went, they would realise their mistake and rectify it for next time and put you on a steadier horse anyway. I used to work in a riding school and we occasionally got the wrong pairing.

Another thought. The riding school didn’t know you particularly well and hadn’t seen you for a year (not that that is anyone’s fault). The instructor may well have fed back how it went, they would realise their mistake and rectify it for next time and put you on a steadier horse anyway. I used to work in a riding school and we occasionally got the wrong pairing.

Very true, but I'd still say something when booking just to be sure

Hey thanks for the reply and thoughts its super appreciated. Yeah i completely understand this point of view also and completely understand this can happen especially after such a long break with lockdown ect iv ridden at the yard on a few occasions . And the instructor is amazing really lovely person . I just wanted to asked as the instructor had put my name down with the same horse for next week and i wasnt too sure as which way to go 😊😊😊😊 hope your having a lovely day😊😊

There is nothing more valuable than a good school master horse. Back in the day, before I had my own, the ones I remember most fondly are the ones that got me where I am today - good and solid but not ploddy. Theyre the horses that will help you transition to the fun, more sparky ones. Let us know how you get on.

There is nothing more valuable than a good school master horse. Back in the day, before I had my own, the ones I remember most fondly are the ones that got me where I am today - good and solid but not ploddy. Theyre the horses that will help you transition to the fun, more sparky ones. Let us know how you get on.

My friend who was a much better rider than me couldn't get on with forward buzzy types. I rode one which bombed off with her, I found him easy, but she just couldn't deal with him. She went whizzing past me out hacking and i had to be sure that the one i was riding didn't tank off as would have been dangerous for her. But she was really good on a trained schooled horse and could push buttons I didn't know where to find! We went on a holiday to south of France and rode some Spanish horses, the ride leader rode a chestnut mare, she was very very sensitive. I asked if i could ride her. No, not clients. On the final day, she biffed him on the nose by throwing her head up and after mopping up all the blood, he handed me the reins. I loved her, if you sat quiet, left her mouth alone and trusted, she was beautiful, I actually tried to buy her and bring her home. I had watched her all week, she went better for women, and i reckoned on her own she would be perfect. My friend would never have got on her, but then she could quite complicated dressage which was never my thing. When i was looking to buy a horse, i sat on a few really ill mannered cobs, including one that took me through a hedge! And napped all the time. I put it down to experience and didn't buy him. Ask for something that you feel comfy on there is no merit in being scared stiff.

Reactions: carthorse
My friend who was a much better rider than me couldn't get on with forward buzzy types. I rode one which bombed off with her, I found him easy, but she just couldn't deal with him. She went whizzing past me out hacking and i had to be sure that the one i was riding didn't tank off as would have been dangerous for her. But she was really good on a trained schooled horse and could push buttons I didn't know where to find! We went on a holiday to south of France and rode some Spanish horses, the ride leader rode a chestnut mare, she was very very sensitive. I asked if i could ride her. No, not clients. On the final day, she biffed him on the nose by throwing her head up and after mopping up all the blood, he handed me the reins. I loved her, if you sat quiet, left her mouth alone and trusted, she was beautiful, I actually tried to buy her and bring her home. I had watched her all week, she went better for women, and i reckoned on her own she would be perfect. My friend would never have got on her, but then she could quite complicated dressage which was never my thing. When i was looking to buy a horse, i sat on a few really ill mannered cobs, including one that took me through a hedge! And napped all the time. I put it down to experience and didn't buy him. Ask for something that you feel comfy on there is no merit in being scared stiff.
Hey Yeah i have a few friends who ride very fizzy horses also . The chestnut sounds absolutely lovely and is a pity u didn't get to buy her in the end. And im defo gona ask once the yard is open on tues

@Pollypocket295 I'm glad you're going to ask. While we go to schools to learn we are also paying customers who are allowed to make requests and indeed flatly refuse to ride a horse if we feel unsafe. I can understand a school refusing to let a rider on a horse that is beyond their abilities, that's a safety issue, but you're asking quite the opposite. I'd be very unhappy with an instructor who put me down for the next lesson on a horse I'd clearly been worried on and unable to manage, I would feel I shouldn't even need to ask not to be given that horse again for a while.

@Pollypocket295 I'm glad you're going to ask. While we go to schools to learn we are also paying customers who are allowed to make requests and indeed flatly refuse to ride a horse if we feel unsafe. I can understand a school refusing to let a rider on a horse that is beyond their abilities, that's a safety issue, but you're asking quite the opposite. I'd be very unhappy with an instructor who put me down for the next lesson on a horse I'd clearly been worried on and unable to manage, I would feel I shouldn't even need to ask not to be given that horse again for a while.
Yeah that how i also felt i didnt expect it myself . But im sure il be on another horse if i ask . The yard and everyone there is absolutey lovely . Ill definetly be updating when i ring 😊😊😊😊

Reactions: carthorse
(UPDATE ) went for the lesson today was delighted to have a horse that i had ridden before he was fabulous . A true confidence giver i felt like id never stopped riding . We did lots of trot work some jumping position and cantering on each rein . He was forward but not spooky of anything absolute gem . Thanks you so much for all the advice everyone it means alot .im really looking forward to my next lesson now and il update when i ride the more experienced horse again 😃😃😃😃

(UPDATE ) went for the lesson today was delighted to have a horse that i had ridden before he was fabulous . A true confidence giver i felt like id never stopped riding . We did lots of trot work some jumping position and cantering on each rein . He was forward but not spooky of anything absolute gem . Thanks you so much for all the advice everyone it means alot .im really looking forward to my next lesson now and il update when i ride the more experienced horse again 😃😃😃😃
That's great! So glad you enjoyed it.

newrider.com