Nettex Stop Itch Salve

Georgette

Feb 12, 2008
Kent
Has anyone used this? Does it work? The adverts for the Stop Itch say that it is 99% effective for sweetitch and it only needs to be applied once a week. Which would then make it good value for money - it is quite pricey at roughly £25 a 500 ml tub. I don't think my boy has sweetitch but he does rub at his mane and tail when the midges are out though not to the extent that I have seen some poor horses do when they end up almost hairless

i have tried this. whilst its quite good, you still need a sweet itch rug. it does not last for a week either (i ended up applying it daily, even though the rug only came off when i rode!) and you need to use quite a bit of it :eek: plus, it makes the horse very greasy (i ended up with VERY greasy reins!). i used up a tub in just under three weeks and found it way too expensive to continue.

if your horse has sweet itch, a boett or simlar is the cheapest way to keep the midges at bay ...

Julia
x

ps: sorry just re-read your post. if your horse doesnt have sweet itch it might be worth a try! if he itches mane and tail, washing mane and tail every day with a mild shampoo (not teatree, as that tends to dry out the skin which can result in more itchyness), let it dry and rub aloe vera gel in it (human aloe vera stuff eg the green Banana Boat Gel is fine and cheaper than the stuff from the tack shop!).

Agree with NP. I used this last year, made everything unbelievably greasy (reins, tack, the lot). I bathe B every week or so weather allowing, but her tail especially felt grungy for months afterwards, and I used their recommended wash (can't rem the name, just resented the additional cost).

Have had more success - and an intact tail - by bathing every week or so with a weak shampoo solution, lashings of avon-so-soft and aloe vera gel rubbed into vulnerable areas.

eta the shampoo is one that prescribed for my dog :)o), 'Coatex' I think it's called, It's a soap-free aloe and oatmeal shampoo, been great on B's skin, no irritation or dry skin afterwards.

Last edited:
I have found it excellent but not on its own.

I use benzyl benzoate diluted and washed all over my pony during the summer season then use Avon Skin so Soft as a fly repellant. That coupled with high windy land is enough to keep the Sweetitch pretty much in control.

However, if a patch does start to appear then I use the Nettex. This is usually just on his mane and I rub it right into the skin deep in his mane. It definately relieves the itching and will stop him rubbing his mane to bits.

I bought a pot two summers ago and I think I have used half of it so it is not working out expensive used like this.

It is greasy and Nelly looks like a grotty teenager at times but it does seem to keep him comfortable:)

For random itching it might be worth trying a wash with benzyl benzoate as a cheap first option.

I use it on Jim's sheath, ears & face & have been really pleased with it. I do need to apply more often than they say but it works & it's one of the few things he'll happily let me put on his sheath if it's sore.

newrider.com