New horse, older rider

Pbunderhill

Apr 4, 2018
I have come back into riding after 25 years. However it seems I am not as brave as I once was.
I have a horse on loan, she's been with me at a new yard for nearly 3 weeks. But she seems very jumpy, keeps putting in little bunny hops, all things her owner said she didn't do! And it scares me.
Am I expecting too much too soon.
Or is she the wrong horse for me.
She is coming back into work after having time off for a foal.

Had you done any riding after your break before you got her?

You've had a long time off, your skills are going to be rusty & that in turn will affect your confidence. I'd suspect that she isn't the right horse for you at this point in time, you've both had time off & need to find your feet again & both of you probably need a bit more than the other can give. Of course I haven't seen either of you so I could be talking utter rubbish!

Based on what you've said I'd speak to her owner & arrange for her to go back, try not to make it sound like it's a fault in the horse because the horsey world can be very small & who knows what's around the corner. Then find a good school & start riding regularly again until you feel you're back up to speed. It might not take long, but when you are then you'll be in a much better position to look for a loan, share or buy & have some fun rather than worrying.

If she has been off work are you expecting to much to soon. She has had a foal everything will be different and more sensitive dies her tack still fit correctly as her shape will have changed at lot

newrider.com