New horse to ride - bringing back into work

Nookster

Oct 21, 2002
Horse I will be starting to get back into work as of tomorrow

f86ee2ea.jpg

f9add3f5.jpg

Hes a 16.2 Measures 17h at withers but has really high withers…….. TB - Ex 3 day eventer.

This is the boy I had a thread about who had the eye ulcers over the summer.

Hes been out of work for about 4 years? Spoke to the owner about me starting to work him and she’s agreed. As any normal person shes been not so keen to let someone she doesn’t know on him although I have been harassing her to get a sharer.

Hes a bolter / bucker / rearer. Has escaped from me several times before when trying to stable him. Although in the past year we have not experienced that, only exception was when trying to treat his eyes for his ulcers. Nearly ended up with a broken shoulder when he refused and when couldn’t escape reared and landed on me.

He has a fear of his ears being touched so will struggle with bridling but we have all the time in the world so no rushing him.

I think a lot of his problems have come from when he was used for competing – no turn out where he was and strict regime. Turned into boredom. I have heard that when he lived in london they wouldn’t approach his stable without closing all the yard gates as he would go through anyone.

First ride tomorrow – going to take things nice and slow

Any advice on how to take things?
Specific things I should do with him?
How long? 15 mins?
How often? Every other day until his fitness builds up?

Will let you know how I get on. Excited but nervous.

Will try to get some pictures

Last edited:
Wow sounds like your gonna have your hands full for a while !!

My advice would definately slowly slowly.

Albs was the same when I got him with his ears and he too would go through you and bolt...what did I do ?? Perservered. I never shouted or raised my hand, just asked what I had asked before until he realised...she aint giving up :rolleyes:

It took my 10 months to put a bridle on. I used to fide with a headcollar and the headpiece and bit of the bridle. Until he reliased the bridle isn't a bad thing and touching his ears was a real triumph and it just happened !!

I'd personally start riding from today for 15 mins...maybe lunge ?? If hes good. as he maybe cold backed at first. Then i'd gradually build it up everyday.

I suppose just spend some quality time with him bending...do some stretching tricks with him and just praise him and make the whole experiance postive and have fun.

If you feel hes tense under saddle just sigh...it sounds strange but we have an IH person at our yard and she's helped me alot.

Good luck and keep us posted !!!

Thanks for answering!

I spent more time with him this week - rubbing his ears etc.

Free schooled him and his pal as well as my boy this week also. Put a jump up and they were flying over it without any asking. My boy just sat in the corner hehe!

Do you think lunging him will be ok - not to much? am i best riding first?

Wanted to start from tomorrow - by the time i get to the yard its dark and our school only has one light working on it so lots of dark spots. I ride my horse in there fine but for Banta coming back into work thought it might be a bit silly and better to wait till tomorrow and some daylight.

Will be lunging my lad tonight - so if you think it won't be too much pressure i will lunge banta also

Yes definatley.
I've lunged all my youngster's before riding them. I backed Albie two years ago as a 5 YO (so not young) and lunged him for the first few months as he was soo tense if i'd have gotton on without lunging him I wouldn't be here today :rolleyes:

Just do it the first few times nice big circles and let him move nice and freely. Your basically after 4years of not being ridden 're-backing him' so nice and slow.

Agree with above, absolutely no way would i just "get on" a horse after four years out of work, strengthen his back and his brain with lunging and long lining, build up a bit of a bond, so that he sees equipment such as a bridle not just for riding and work.... Take it slow and you'll reap all the rewards you could possibly want. Good luck, stay safe!:)

i think you'd be safer to lunge this chap first before getting on him. Keep things short and sweet to start with and always end on a good note. I prefer to long rein, so if you've help at hand you could always do that too. I have toby doing lateral work in long lines, tis a change for him as he doesn't lunge easily. And you could always have a bash at clicker training, and incorporate that in with working on his bridling issues.

I'm so pleased she's letting you ride him!

Me too EB even if it is extra work!

I do have a slight bond with this boy already. I have been feeding and turning him and his paddock friend out for the past couple of years, and turning in on occasion but that was as far as it went.

Thank you for the guidance tho. I will start of tonight even with the rain and take things slowly.

But i will let you know how we get on on Monday - probably need more advice :)

This boy is very hard work bridling. He sees one and freaks out, will do anything not to let you put one on - rearing charging etc. I had no intention riding him but know when it comes to it this would be a problem so wanted to spend some time getting him used to it.

So i took 5 step backwards and have spent time chatting and grooming him.

Last night i took the plunge and went to lunge him. Lunge canvesson had to browband removed to aid putting on.
He was nervous and snorty bless.

We entered the school with intentions of walk only. Which he did for a couple of minutes then excitement over took, had a few out of control moments, eventually settling to my voice. Ended on a good note and kept it short but i do feel he over worked himself when excited.

Was hoping he would make it back to the stable without bolting which he did. Clever boy, he just looked like a bomb ready to explode.

Will carry on - doesn't make me that confident to sit on his back tho :D

This boy is very hard work bridling. He sees one and freaks out, will do anything not to let you put one on - rearing charging etc. I had no intention riding him but know when it comes to it this would be a problem so wanted to spend some time getting him used to it.

So i took 5 step backwards and have spent time chatting and grooming him.

Last night i took the plunge and went to lunge him. Lunge canvesson had to browband removed to aid putting on.
He was nervous and snorty bless.

We entered the school with intentions of walk only. Which he did for a couple of minutes then excitement over took, had a few out of control moments, eventually settling to my voice. Ended on a good note and kept it short but i do feel he over worked himself when excited.

Was hoping he would make it back to the stable without bolting which he did. Clever boy, he just looked like a bomb ready to explode.

Will carry on - doesn't make me that confident to sit on his back tho :D

Well done!!!:D Ive been following this..

The bridle thing makes me think " what the helllll has happend here??!"

Can you touch his head with your hand without the bridle? If not hes head shy:(

If you can, then somebodys gone to extreme force to put that darn thing on:rolleyes: But I am sure he will be fine soon....keep working with him.:)

Well, reading that about 5 times, what can I say!!! Brill, *taps on back*:)

His ears are really sensitive - have no idea whats happened in his past to make him like that sadly.

He panics if his neck rugs touchs his ears. Hes not exactly head shy so to say - its just his ear area.

Saying that if he feels restricted head wise he uses his usual ways to get free and get away from the situation

Its going to take a long time

Yes it will. The problem is though, while you will be working with him and it comes along really well, and he doesnt mind his ears being touched by YOU, but anyone else........

Maybe he had a restrain on his ears once? Like when people get rope/string and tie it really tight. Or he had it held or....

Well, good luck, should be brill, an EX 3 DAY EVENT?? wow!! :D

Hey sounds like you are doing a good job there :D

Could you perhaps get those little clip/loop things that mean you can attach the bit onto a head collar, that way you can just have head collar on already (which I presume he is fine with?) and then just gently attach the bit.
Then you can leave the bit on while lunging so he gets used to it again (just like you would with a baby) TBH there is also no reason you couldn't ride with that aswell, if you look at endurance bridles (the combo ones) they are just a head collar with bit attachments!

I know how hard it is when they are like that, Bo used to be terrible about his ears (even as a 2/3 year old) and even when putting a head collar on if it touched his ears would rear and go mad. Bridling used to take over an hour everytime :rolleyes:, It took us a long time but after about a year he would let you bridle (very quickly and being very firm, he didn't like fussing about), now another 5 years on he is happy for me to touch his ears for short periods - even to rub the insides int he summer when the flys are bad :p

Best of luck

Could you perhaps get those little clip/loop things that mean you can attach the bit onto a head collar, that way you can just have head collar on already (which I presume he is fine with?) and then just gently attach the bit.
Then you can leave the bit on while lunging so he gets used to it again (just like you would with a baby) TBH there is also no reason you couldn't ride with that aswell, if you look at endurance bridles (the combo ones) they are just a head collar with bit attachments!

Thats actually a really good idea that i hadn't thought of.

He's fine with the bit, it is literally putting the bridle over his ears (with a browband more awkward)

Headcollars fine as it goes behind and he does notice to much.

newrider.com