New pony arrives next week!

Had an email from the RSPCA yesterday to say that they hope to bring my new pony over to us next Sunday afternoon :) Kittiwake is a 34" Mini Shetland mare - dun, about 7 years old. Getting really excited now. Had the Dinky Rugs catalogue in the post yesterday, so ordering some cute little headcollars for her. She doesn't 'need' rugs - but I am sure that at least one will be found to be necessary (they have some lovely stuff for small ponies) ;) It will be wonderful to have 3 ponies again. Been really restrictive over the winter not being able to take Frayne out for more than about 30 minutes (Gambit her elderly companion doesn't like being left - so I can only go out when he is eating his food :rolleyes:). Hopefully with regular and longer rides (she used to enjoy 3 hour rides around the local bridleways) we will both get more confident.

Ali xx

Good Luck, sounds like the pony has found a fab new home.. Sorry if I missed the post but whats the ponys background/history?

I am sure that Frayne will love her - and Gambit (he was originally nicknamed 'Grumpy old sod' when he first arrived here back in June :D) will probably ignore her (he prefers just to plod around the field trying to eat grass all day - or having a good scratch on his favourite tree). Kitti (like all Mini Shetlands I expect?) is a 'character' and quite happily turns out with large competition horses at her current yard - so at least Frayne will have someone to canter around with now.

Kitti was signed over to the RSPCA about a year ago - her elderly owner was having health issues. 12 other ponies and some cattle were with her (they had been left to their own devices in a field). Kitti had a foal (she is about 7 now) and has been getting used to being handled/her physical condition improving at a yard who fosters ponies for the RSPCA. She is now still nervous (you cannot suddenly approach her in the field, or she will just run away - and she will retreat into a corner of the stable if she is not sure of something), but obviously just needs some one-to-one and lots of fun in her life :) When Gambit arrived in June he was very similar - he will still panic in the stable if he is scared - but I can now rug him untied, groom him all over, pick his feet up most of the time - and he trots to the gate when I appear.

I have been told that Kitti is actually very well bred (she originally came from a stud in Pembrokeshire not far from here - and her breeder, now retired, knows she is coming to me and is keen to have a chat about her breeding) and it has been suggested that she may enjoy some showing and could make a good mini ride/drive. To start with we will just concentrate on getting her confidence levels up and leading out well around our lanes, and then see what the summer brings.

I have always loved Shetlands - used to foster for the ILPH, have cared for a Mini Shetland who did pantomimes (he came to our yard outside the pantomime season) and also rescued an unhandled Shettie a few years ago (who is now happily in a loan home where the daughters show him). It will be wonderful to have a really small pony again (Frayne is only 12.2hh and Gambit is 11hh, but they seem quite big compared to Kitti).

Ali xx

awwee hope all goes well with him, sounds like a lovely little chap cant wait to see piccies!
:D

newrider.com