New rider Wanting to say Hi.

Apr 19, 2015
Hi everyone.
I happened to come across this website whilst doing a bit of research and on how to do the rising trot ( which im on at the moment - 2nd lesson) and ive been reading some of the posts about nerves and how others experiences were so after a bit of thought and seeing that i wanted to join and say hi!.
My first lesson wasnt so bad i learnt alot how to stop the horse and turn and today with a leader i did attempt the rising trot i found that so hard kept bouncing! i struggled to get the one two instruction that i was given and still getting the reins but everything else im so confident with!.
I am nervous before i get on the horse and today was my first group lesson which i loved much more than a private ( which was my first lesson) so im going to keep up with group lessons for a while. But as someone else said i love riding so much and learning riding and im looking forward to more lessons. I didnt do riding as a child but at 25 i see it as a goal to learn now. Although i did like the idea of been a show jumper or eventer but seeing how hard the rising trot is at the moment im thinking wow i underestimated how hard horse riding can be a bit.
So any good tips on the rising trot would be good i cant wait to learn it then eventually go out on hacks!.
And as someone else said they look at carl hesters stuff how about charlotte dujardin to...( sorry if ive spelt her name wrong to) they are both amazing.
Thank you for reading my hi and story about my first two lessons. i look forward ( i hope) to talking to you all more and gaining tips and experience as i go.

Hi, welcome to the forum and to the world of horses - both are somewhat addictive! There are quite a few people on here who started riding as adults so you are not alone there. We've had an influx of new members recently who are novice riders as well so don't hold back on asking questions as I'm sure some of them will be the same ones that other people have!

Rising trot can be difficult to get the hang of as there's just so much to think about, what with trying to steer, keep the horse going etc at the same time as trying to pick up the right rhythm and actually rise and sit fast enough to keep up with the horse! Co-ordinating everything can be quite tricky and it may take you a few more lessons before things start to come together. Don't worry if it doesn't happen straight away, with riding it rarely does! It will also become easier when you've ridden a bit more and started to gain strength and tone in your leg muscles - riding is a lot more physical than it looks!

I do love horses ive even watched horse of the year a couple of times the oath to the horses always wells me up ( typical girl) i saw you comment on one of the other posts and you helped me actually by the way thanks..
I used to be scared of them as a kid i tried riding once as a kid been held on but then i got scared and didnt anymore but i do think its a right of passage to ride a horse really i dont know what i was missing not thinking of going out for hacks eventually and such till i was older. i love learning new things to so horse riding is definately for me. On my first lesson i was a bit worried about even touching a horse but getting on one i loved it it was so calming to!. I have noticed how horses pick up on emotions so easy to and stop if they feel your anxious which helps me but in a way if you want to go it can be a bit come on im ok but they know a bit different it seems. So the horse itself helped me to get over that fear the first lesson. My second horse just wanted to go which i loved to i loved that experience i am going to see if i can try other horses to but i personally liked my second one better.
And everyone seems in the same boat then learning to ride i loved reading posts of some of the more experienced members you felt there excitment. And thats what i felt with the rising trot plus also its like i only just got used to the reins then when the teacher gives you instructions you feel a bit oh i got to get it now especially in a group or if your a perfectionist to. And also want to learn so easy but at the same time i know im new so im not to hard on myself. I dont mind knowing im learning something but giving away that control and realising that is hard you do feel a bit like a child again!. so i related to someone else who said that to. As far as nerves goes only doing the lesson helps they go as you start but go especially after i find. I got to book my third lesson tomorrow. And also with the horse i could 'feel' when he was coming off the ground so i just bounced. So it was almost like which is two to rise and Its reassuring to hear it may take me a few lessons for things to come together. ( you seemed to read my mind on what i was going through right now -so brill). And it feels like ill never get strength in my upper body at the moment felt like i was falling forward all the time ( although im sure it wasnt that bad) when i was asked how it felt off my lead i was in a bit of shock! But it was alot better than i thought it would be at the same time. And its definately physical its right when carl says on one of his episodes you have to eat right to. How long have you been riding though i think i saw it on one of the other posts though! i love your horse by the way i havent obviously got a picture of a horse but i should put something up!. thank you so much for replying though you have helped once again

Reactions: SeeingSpots
Hi and welcome! I have no advice on rising trot (Josie's advice sounds fab) other than it will come together with practice, but it's lovely to read such an enthusiastic post :)

Hi Welcome :D There are lots of great folks on here so feel free to ask away :D I've been riding years but still get a buzz every time and am always learning :D

I'm one that found rising trot tricky to learn, but if I got there you definitely can! It's bumpy when you get the timing fractionally wrong....ideally get your RI to count 1..2..1..2.. to help you with the rhythm. You will have to go through the stage of thinking about it to get it right, but once you've got it you won't have to think about it any more.
The most helpful image I found was to think that the horse's hips were pushing my hips towards his ears on the rise. That meant he did the rise for me and I just had to keep control of the sitting back down bit.
Good luck with your lessons.

Hello and welcome to NR :) no advice from me - I'm rubbish at writing down how to do things - but yes it will all come together the more you do.

Hi and welcome to NR. I ditto the above, im also rubbish at writing down what I mean to say. I tend to waffle on and veer off the subject lol. Practice, practice and then more practice, then when you realise that you're doing it you'll see how easy it is. :p:p

Hello and welcome! There was a thread a little while ago about rising trot from someone in just your shoes - try using the search facility to see if you can find it. My only suggestions come from bareback riding, when I try to rise as a physical conditioning exercise (it makes my legs hurt like blazes!) and that is to make sure that you are sitting well up, not slumped, and to let the push of the horse's back leg throw you up - you shouldn't have to lift.

Enjoy the forum!

Hi and thank you for all your posts!
Bodshi- joosies advice was fab still helping reading some of the comments i am reading though and reading others opinions. I am a very possitive person i believe you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it, i also help ive helped or will help some others with what i have said to. Love your picture to.
jessey- Thanks for your welcome!. And i will definately have more questions as i go at the moment im currently looking for a body protector about time i got one and your definately always learning and also its about building a bond with your horse i believe ( when you have your own) or a regular horse for your lessons. I do hope to have my own horse one day!.
Calluna- its nice to hear your opinions i definately associate with what you say thats what i went through very bumpy i perhaps done it right like two counts and that was it!. i do find its a bit tiring to atm then if you miss one beat it confuses you for the beats after that.And i did have to think about it a bit which i think gets you a bit flustered more at the start and then you miss other beats i did actually think i had to rise quite a bit ( watching others in the group) so then that does stress you more when you dont think your rising enough and even when you do it doesnt feel like much and but it feels alot more comfortable, but even when i got that right i knew i still needed practice on it.
kite-rider- thank you for your personal reply. hi to.
jayne- Thank you for your reply you seem to love talking about horses to feel that! not a bad thing at all... and oh i know i will feel that then theyd be something else im questionning how to do then!. I actually once i typed up what i did last night i re thought about how i like dressage to!.
Jane&ziggy- Ive been reading a few of your other posts the one about the hack i just loved..And i think i saw that about but i lost it! im definately going to do a search though and read about it. And i find when you do that its really using your muscles ive been thinking of doing the exercise that i read about but i thought about then just trying it again on the horse. And i find when i got a bit tired when i was trying the rising trot i did slump a bit but not to much ive found out how much keeping your ankles down can make your feet hurt to i also did read a post about that which was incredibly useful. Made me realise i wasnt to bad for relaxing my ankles sometimes then just sneak them back into the position before the teacher looked!.
Trewsers- hello to your to thank you for commenting on my post!.
Horseandgoatmom- Ive seen you about to on some of the threads ive read. So thank you for commenting on my post to. And yes there is my thoughts on dressage and bonding with the horse and i know theyd be other things im going to be learning that i said above i thought about after reading your posts!. I think thats the fun part always having something to learn.
Everyone has helped so much so far, and im definately going to be around the forums ive had a read as you can see but havent found nothing to comment on at the moment but as soon as i do i will start talking more.. My next horse riding lesson is the weekend.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Hello and welcome to the forum. I can't give any advice on the rising trot as I am afraid I am an old jobbing rider so really not qualified to instruct others how to do it. But Joosie's words are wise and helpful as ever, and I am sure there are many of the other members on here that will happily guide you through the ups and downs of learning to ride.:)

Hello and welcome, this is a great forum, you’ll find it really helpful – I know I do! It sounds like you’ve been bitten by the horsey bug too
I started learning to ride in October and in my first couple of lessons I thought I’d never get the rising trot, but it’ll come, don’t worry.
I’m now trying to master canter and I can’t quite believe I’ve got to this stage:D
25 is still young, I’m learning at 41! But it is more nerve wracking for an adult IMO.
I don’t really have any pointers on rising trot, it did kind of just click one day for me, and I'm a novice myself. Although I found not rising too high out of the saddle helped. When I first started learning, I’d come up too far off the saddle which meant I landed back in it with a thump and it made it hard to keep the rhythm going (lots of double bumps!). Learning to let the horses movement push me up rather than me working too hard to push myself up helped.

There are lots of lovely people on here who offer great advice and support - and it gives you the chance to talk about horsey stuff ;)

cortrasna- Thank you for your hi ive been reading some of your posts to and all the words of advice are fab that ive read on here...im sure im going to be thinking of more questions as i go.
new rider nic- hi.. ive saw your on other posts to and ive been thinking about the canter already im sure ill find that hard after the trot but i hope a bit easier to...once ive mastered the rising trot and once ive mastered it i do actually look forward to keeping repeating it and getting the hang of it for longer and longer... and it is ive been reading your comments on nerves ..i think we have more worries than kids thats for sure i hope listening to how i am with nerves helped you a bit to. I have definately been bit by the horsey bug as youll see a bit more from a post im going to post! I tried to reply to someones post last night wouldnt let me for some reason kept rising the page up perhaps cause id have been starting a new page of comments... And i actually thought about possibly adjusting the stirrups a bit to it was questionned if one was a bit to short! but i think im going to go with it and see how i go i cant wait to try now :D bring on the weekend. And im definately going to talk about horsey stuff alot its nice talking about it with others who have got the horsey bug to. I love animals full stop to and there own little personalitys.

It's definitely addictive. I've never done anything I enjoy as much as riding! I was ridiculously nervous about learning to canter but I love it. And it's much smoother than trotting, you'll love it when you get to it too. Here's to us both having fantastic lessons at the weekend :D

Reactions: Trewsers
ohh i love to hear cantering is easier i actually half thought it might be... and riding is something unique i feel nothing beats it and i expect with canter its more relaxing when you can concentrate more you enjoy it more then once you have the rising trot to easier made me cant wait for it more to now. and what time is your lesson? mine is at 3.

It's great fun, the frustrating thing for me has been learning to keep it going. There's been a lot of stop/start!
I've posted a video on here of me cantering in my lesson a couple of weeks ago...I'm getting there :)
My lessons at 12. Hope you come on & let us know how you get on

Ideally get the hang of rising trot while still being led or lunged so all you need to concentrate on is rhythm, most people get it in the first lesson this way. Then add in holding reins without interfering with horse and after that using your legs while rising. I personally would not put someone in a group situation until they can steer in walk and trot independently but as is said 'all roads lead to Rome' everyone learns differently, at different speeds and by different methods!!

hi nic i have been reading about your posts about that i think for me itll be like that a bit but i dont know really it seems though when its moving forward you definately feel better about that to naturally so would i... i love how you got started with horse riding to!. And i feel youd have alot of great things to say now about it to both learning i think... and im going to try and find that and watch you i might even get how you do the rising trot more from watching that im going to have a look once ive typed up this post and i will definately come on and tell you all couldnt not! i just hope i have some news like i did the rising trot... but we will see!. and eml hi and i am going to be led still i think ill be led for quite a bit of time yet whilst i build my confidence up and i think the holding reins may be the next lesson but they didnt mention that they said just working on it a bit more first and formost you gave me some ideas about what might come up next... and all of us in the group is at similar points not one to far ahead in front of the other so that makes it feel comfortable if someone was to far ahead i think thatll be alot different but yes getting to that stage would give you definately a better advantage and confidence i feel to. And i cant wait to see how i go!. Thank you for your reply

newrider.com