New Stirrups - review

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
so because of the problems with my left leg and hip ive been trying new stirrups and leathers. Basically i get a sore on the inside of my calf where the leather rubs, even through leather boots. I tried dressage leathers but they were actually worse due to where the Tbar fastens.
Tried Sprenger bowbalance and hated them , then got the Sprenger offset eye ones that hang straight as your foot goes in so no twist in the leather. They were better but I kept losing my stirrups. Sold both of these - thankfully got good prices and have finally found some I love.

Acavallo Operas!! They are light, offset so no stirrups twists and also a broad cheesegrater tread. They were cheaper too, £70. They do come apart at the top but i wouldnt say its a great safety feature to rely on.

bEbkcCS.jpg

pnhUe1k.jpg

I would be worried if those did not open in a fall and your boot got stuck. Especially with that cheese grater tread.
But to go back to your original problem with your calf rubbing on the leather.
I am finding it hard to picture how the stirrup could cause this. My right hip does not open - so I tend to sit to the right and I cant ride a wider horse - But it would be the width of the horse at the level of the place where it rubs that would be the problem?

And the length of stirrup would also affect the clearance of your leg against the horse? I ride with long stirrups (advised in my first year it was better for elderly riders) and that balances me well - but I dont lose my Sprenger (regular) stirrups.
What is it do you think that causes you to lose a stirrup? And what gait are you riding when you loose one? I dont lose stirrups but I know I am a floppy relaxed rider and my legs could not chafe on the leathers as they are never that close against the horse unless I am being run away with and using my legs as brakes.

In your place I might try to get an opinion from an RI used to working with RDA - or dong Pilates style teaching on horseback or Centred riding. So that someone knowledgeable could see what happens when you ride with no stirrups. But also work out with you why you are losing your stirrups. Our RI does this and even teaches some of us bare back, and then tells you how best to position yourself on the horse - for instance if a client might be helped by riding with one leather shorter than the other.

@Skib thanks but I have lessons almost weekly with a BHS and BD trainer and also see a private physio every 2 weeks who works with riders and does physio led pilates. This has been a very long journey for me and Im now almost 2 years down the line with it, Ive also seen an orthopedic consultant and had an MRI - the physio works in conjunction with the Ortho so really Im having the best input ;) Im not relying on them being safety stirrups, that was my point and I have very slim and narrow riding boots so its not an issue. On stirrups that arent offset, the leather twists and lies on the calf - especially in 2 point forward seat if I am doing a lot of fast work (eg on a recent XC training day) my knee rotates slightly which is coming from my hip and causes my toe to point out a bit instead of being parallel to the horse’s side - on this leg this increase the friction of the leather on the calf. I dont usually have issues with losing stirrups but having switched to the offset eye ones it makes you use different muscles and the angle is obviously different - on my bad leg I found Im more likely to feel a stirrup ‘move’ when using the offset ones rather than actually lose one (should have explained that better in my OP)- hence these with the grater treads are a help. I suspect once muscle memory kicks in a bit and Im further down the road with it it wont be an issue.

Last edited:
newrider.com