No brakes: terrified

gearandnoidea

Jun 18, 2007
Hi there
Was hoping for some advice and comfort! I recently bought my first horse about a month ago - and although I haven't owned him for very long he's been doing brilliantly. Not a foot wrong. Hacked him out alone about 4 times and in company about twice. I went out today with a friend of mine and everything was fine until they had a little spook at something and cantered for a small while before slowing down and carrying on. I then decided I would like to try a canter, when I asked for it, rather than when he did! And what can I say, he went from trotting to a fast canter, of which I couldnt really stop. He then slowed for a bend and then galloped flat out up and over the hill. My heart was in my mouth and I was trying desperately to stop him, because we were coming to the end of the field very quickly. He did eventually stop on his own accord (im suprised i stayed on). But I feel so disappointed and very alarmed. He apparently never took off or was difficult to slow with his previous owner. Could this just be a settling in thing? And what would other people suggest that have this horrible experience. Its not his back or saddle or anything, just him being a nightmare to stop.
Help

:(

Hi

It sounds like his adrenalin was up from the spook and you unfortunately underestimated how hyped he was (that's not me having a pop, I was also in the same situation when I moved yards about 5 years ago... CW seemed to be taking it all so well, plus I'd known him for years... went for a hack with friends but he was being an idiot in canter, so they turned home, I went for a canter to get some energy out of him... fine at the beginning, turned into a 1.5 mile bolt downhill!:eek:)

The spook will have made him more on edge, so when you asked for canter he just thought RIGHT THAT'S IT I'M OFF!

I wouldn't worry. If he's been as good as he has been in the first month, there's no reason to think he won't be the same again. Just don't underestimate how long it takes for a horse to truly settle, especially as you are new to him and he won't yet see you as the one to make the right decisions to save his hide. He just took matters into his own hooves.

You'll be fine! He sounds lovely!!! :)

Personally - teeth, back and tack. With any new horse, time is required for settling in, learning to trust you and all the rest, and it could have been any single or combination of issues that led to this situation. Even the most reliable horse can be unpredictable ;), but it may be worth having his tack and back checked out by a professional and a dental technician to have a look at his teeth, just to ensure there are no underlying issues.
I spent a full twelve months trying to sort out back pain in my TB after he ran away with me in April 2006, and the saddle was found to be a potential cause and his back in agony, despite many yard "experts" claiming that he was just naughty. His bolt ruined my confidence, and it has only been in the last four months or so that I have begun cantering with confidence again.

Also, practise the one-rein stop (there's loads of threads on this) in a school or fairly enclosed area, and get loads of practise at canter to trot transitions. I'm sure it's probably just a case of building your confidence in your horse and his confidence in you.
Good luck :D

How long have you been riding?

(I don't want to patronize or assume you've got more experience than you have).

Well done for staying on, can only really echo what the others have said it sounds like her was still hyped from the spook. A general check over would be a bad thing, I'm assuming that you had him vetted before visiting so you know his general health is good, might be worth doing the back, tack and teeth route if your feel it necessary.

The important thing I think is choosing your cantering places carefully if you think you might lose control, do you have a lot of space? Can you circle you horse? This will help to slow them down if there out of control but you have to make sure you start off big when you do you first one otherwise you'll both lose balance and could both fall. Some horses also don't like it when you grab a hold of there mouth, which can be hard especially when something makes you uneasy. My advice (for all it's worth which is very little) is to choose your canter places carefully, where you circle if necessary or have a big wall or fence which will help promote a stop, also half halts, with my new mare they have been a life line, she locks her neck if you do anything else and you can't stop her, but half halts work great, constantly squeezing and releasing one hand then the other, if you practice it in trot then when you ask for canter he should hopefully respond.

Good luck though, I'm sure it was just high spirits :)

Hi,

No advice to give you I'm afraid - just sympathy! I had the same thing happen with an ex-racehorse recently :eek: so I know how you feel. In my case, I made sure I got on something else that I trusted, and went out for another hack asap, to try and ensure I didn't lose confidence. Actually though, whilst I thought it worked at the time, I'm now really nervous about cantering new horses and I haven't cantered out on my own since. I'm trying to build up my confidence to try it on my new share horse tonight!!

As long as you are confidet there are no pain issues, I'd do some work in canter in the school for a while so that you can reassure yourself that you are in control.

Good luck!;)

I wouldn't worry. If he's been as good as he has been in the first month, there's no reason to think he won't be the same again. Just don't underestimate how long it takes for a horse to truly settle, especially as you are new to him and he won't yet see you as the one to make the right decisions to save his hide. He just took matters into his own hooves.

QUOTE]

I agree - my boy has been with me just over 2 months now and he's settling well but we have had a few hairy moments. I think uphill on grass excites most horses, on our first field hack we did a natty little sideways gallop up the hill, I really didn't think he was going to stop. He did fortunately, but was like a coiled spring the whole way home.

I think the combination of cantering in fields (= lots of fun) and the adrenalin of a new place makes the quietest horse a little unpredictable.

You'll learn to pick up on his state of mind - I certainly have and I'm no expert. I can feel when he's tense, excited, scared and react accordingly (i.e. no fast work or who knows where I'll end up!)

Good luck, and don't let the teething troubles put you off. ;)

I know the feeling of now being able to stop (unfortuantly i came off!!!) I have found persistance has worked with jess i do lots fo short bursts of canter and trotting esspecially on bridleways.

I have also changed her bit as she was strong, i now only ride with a light contact and she normally comes back to me straight away.

But definatly the short bursts of energy in the school and out hacking will make him realise that just because you have asked for canter means he then must be ready to listen for your downward transition too!!!

Also it may be a settling in thing, Another thing may be he could be fitter than you think and maybe has too much energy for the amount of work he is getting - as i have no idea how often/long you ride him etc this is a plain guess as this is how my old pony used to be, gallop everywhere (although she has good brakes!) but more work and turnout helped it!!!

Good luck!! Keep smiling :)

it seems to be a number of factors in my opinion:
1> you and him are new to each other so he's testing you
2>. it was because of the spook that he thought "i'm out of here"
3> there may be an issue with his tack/ back/teeth
4> he was just excited to be in a group

If it is any of the above:
1> spend more time with him (not necessarily riding all the time), do dome lunge work / free school work etc to build up a better relationship

2> if he spooks always give him enough time to fully calm down before doing anything else, if possible take him back to what spooked him and let him see it

3> get all of them re- checked

4> work on slow hacks in groups / on your own until hes listening to you properly

Also if he does "take off" i know its scary but try and relax, circle him if you can and mke circle gradually smaller OR take a firm tug on one rein then on other and then relax and then repeat it OR 1 hand and rain on his neck - hold the mane and pull with the other hand and then release and then try again. IF all that fails- this may sound mad and only do it if its safe - GIVE HIM HIS HEAD AND KICK HIM FORWARDS - it may sound daft but with my previous mare if she took off id give her her head and make her go forwards and if she tried to stop id keep her going until i ask her to stop.... she soon worked out that taking off meant she had to work harder!

Lindsay
x

Firstly a big thank you to everyone that commented - you have no idea what a big help and assurance it is.
I have ridden all my life, and although not very well schooled/lessoned I am quite an experienced hacker. I used to ride a little terror who use to take off, bolt on roads and generally be unstoppable - but because he wasn't my own horse and I knew him, I was not that alarmed. I suppose yesterday I just was quite alarmed at the mere pace he took in his gallop. He recently (with past owner last year) had his back checked and saddle re-fitted for which they spent a fortune on. Richard Maxwell also gave him a brief checkover with no problems. His teeth have not been checked for a while. He is on a snaffle, and I have a martingale on him yesterday, although that didnt help one bit coz he didnt have his head high. The gallop was on grass going up hill with little space (because of crops) so I couldnt have turned him to slow him. To be fair, he didnt take off because I did urge him to canter - but he then just went into a gallop and I couldnt believe he didnt respond at all to me trying to stop him. Had already tried squeeze and release, so it wasnt like I was on his mouth from the word go - I know that can make things worse. Lots of people do not suggest getting a stronger bit - any advice on that? He is a good boy, I think he just got overexcited - but i'm not going to be hacking like again for a while, because I really don't want that situation to arise anytime soon or my confidence will be blunted.

Thank you - does anyone think calming supplements would be of any aid?

Crikey, no.. I don't think you need calming supplements at all!! Especially as everything has been fine till now and as you say, you did ask for a faster gait. Again, just keep things calm whilst you are getting used to each other and when you have a canter maybe pop him behind a horse that you know can stop, just to handle your worry.

If you want a few more brakes whilst you are sorting out your relationship, a three ring is good, on the second ring, so you have a little more leverage. No bit will stop a horse if they really want to go though, so practice half halt or changing gaits whilst you are doing slower work, i.e. walk to trot, few paces, back to walk... transitions are king in this situation.

Suggestion of work from the ground to build the relationship is certainly also the way forward. He needs to know that you can take responsibility for his welfare.

I used Settleeeze when I brought Storm home to live. Takes a while to have any effect, but I reckoned she would have been a lot worse if she'd not been taking it. Put it this way, I didn't think I'd be hacking her anytime soon!! She really surprised me. Its scary and it sounds like you've had a fright, don't envy you - I know how it feels. My fear is always that when they take off like that - if you do just let them go (if its safe to do so) and if the squeeze and half halts have no effect, will they slow down and start buckiing?! Cos this is exactly what Storm did to me - she did eventually stop but then decided she was so pleased with herself that throwing a bucking strop would finish things off nicely!! eek. Hope things improve for you - echo all the good advice you've been given on here.

I agree with everyone else too.

When my lad used to gallop off with, he was unstoppable. I found out previous owner cantered/galloped on every grass verge available!!

I was that terrified and he kept going faster and faster. i wondered why. I realised i was tensing up so much that i was gripping him from pubic bone right down to little toe in fear. This he thought was the cue to go faster!:D
Were you tense ?

I wouldn't use calmers now as its the 1st incident and you can explain his behaviour. You have only had him for a month so it'll prob happen a couple more times as you get to know each other and bond. If it was happening all the time and he was extremly excitable, get all the health issues checked again then maybe think about a supplement.

Ex-racehorse choosing his gallop speed and not responding to my trying to slow him - yes I probably was very tense!! :)

I agree about not giving supplements yet. And yes lots of groundwork will be done over the next couple wks. I might even try and get my Mum to keep a lead rein on him when we go back into that field just for my reassurance!

Its sooo hard not to be tense especially with a horse you hardly know. It was also the first time we'd properly cantered while out on a hack - so its just a shame it turned out as it did. Definitely will try putting him behind another horse - the only thing is it could make him worse if he remembers much about his racing days (for which he wasn't very good at anyway!)

I'm glad many others have had this problem and I will just have to work slowly but surely and not to let it put me off

I didn't realise he was an ex-racehorse. That could go a long way to explain his behaviour... adrenalin again, plus maybe he doesn't know the benefits of restraint? How long ago was he a racehorse and if a while, do you know what his last owner did with him? Some people like the speed of an ex-racehorse and it could be that he's always been asked to go at full pelt?? So that would mean training that slooooooow is good!

Yes, I would have been tense too :p

Well this is where you have to put a lot of trust in what people tell you. The last owner was a 17 year old girl who used him for general riding club activities. She assured me he was very laid back and she used to canter him while holding on the the buckle of the reins! She also said he never took off and the only time she put him into a full on gallop was in a huge field - she thought it was the fastest she'd ever been and quickly brought him back to canter - of which he did very easily without restraint. So if i'm to believe her and what he was like, this was unusual behaviour yesterday for him. He's been out of racing for over a year now. And was only officially raced at Musselburgh/Kelso around three times (on passport). He is just nine, so was proably only raced for around 3 years (and apparently didnt like racing) i know this because our next door neighbour's friend used to ride him in the races!! small world

Definitely sounds to me like he was a giddy kipper when you hacked him out, if he hasn't raced in over 12-months a nice open slope would have just meant to him lets go especially as you'd already asked him to go up a gait. As for not coming back or having very little brakes this again like everyones said was probably down to a number of reasons, probably because he's not yet used to you.

I would take everyones advice and keep things calm, try some schooling in a field at canter where you have plenty of room to circle, practice transitions, half halts, go back to basics with him and yourselves - it's something that I've been doing with my new pony, who is just used to being galloped everywhere and it's working :D we actually managed an uneventful, clam walk on a loose rein up the canter track the other day all alone with out any jogging, bouncing or sideways steps. So it can work you just need to remain calm and start of over the next few weeks keeping things simple and slow and good luck :)

I wouldnt jump to a stronger bit if he is used to a snaffle bit and has been ridden in it previously i wouldnt change it, maybe just let him get used to the area and to trust you!

I onyl changed Jess' bit as she was 4 and she wasnt working nicely in her bit at all!!!

Good luck with him!!

newrider.com