No longer horse shopping!

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Only a month or so ago we were shopping for two different horses for my two friends.

We purchased a horse of someone we knew for one friend.

We viewed quite a few for the novice mother/daughter share but the horses were just too much for them. They were still hooked on this one mare who we thought wasn't suitable and fortunately she got sold last weekend. They agreed to wait and continue loaning current pony for another few months...

Off I go on hols (am in Italy now whoop) and I have a text last night saying they have bought a horse! It was a last min viewing of a 9yr old haflinger, she sounds absolutely perfect!!! Unfortunately they didn't take anyone with them to view her so I hope she really is perfect as they are not having her vetted...we are picking her up next weekend when I get home from hols.

I'm please for them, worried they bought with their heart not their head (due to not having someone experienced there) but glad the shopping is finished :)

I kept saying to them they know when it's 'the one' but I don't think they believed me until they viewed the mare yesterday :)

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
I can understand the heart ruling the head for first time buyers but not the not vetting thing, that is daft, especially as they purchased it without anyone else seeing the horse, would they know a lame horse if they saw one?

I hope the horse is great, and the sellers didn't see your friends coming!

Lucky you in Italy:biggrin:

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
you can lead a horse to water.....seems to apply to owners as well.....i hope you don't end up picking up the pieces......they are daft not to have her vetted......

mind you i didn't have sasa or suzie vetted either.

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Oh dear, really hope the horse works out for them but novices buying a horse un vetted without anyone knowledgeable with them!!!! Look forward to updates and sincerely hope this is one of those rare things, a genuine horse being sold by genuine owners.:frown:

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
My friend did just this. Rode in walk only as school frozen. Didn't hack out either. Bought him without second viewing, without getting vet either.

He turned out to be exactly as described and she landed on her feet. There are honest sellers out there. He is super. Exactly what she wanted.

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
I am sorry but I would be phoning my friends immediately and asking them to let someone else see the horse first. In the only ridden picture the horse is in a pelham with a crank noseband is dropping behind the contact and appears to have its tongue over the bit.

That shouts problem to me!!

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
I am sorry but I would be phoning my friends immediately and asking them to let someone else see the horse first. In the only ridden picture the horse is in a pelham with a crank noseband is dropping behind the contact and appears to have its tongue over the bit.

That shouts problem to me!!

I didnt like that picture either - but wasn't bold enough to voice my opinion!:eek: But seeing as someone with more knowledge than me has already done so here is my feelings on it:

I have to say that sometimes an advert that describes a horse as 'forward going' actually means it is strong and hurrys on even when you ask it not to do so. That particular bridle and bit set up would also suggest to me that this could be the case with this particular pony.:unsure:.

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
Not more knowledgeable than you C...just cynical!!

I once viewed a horse for a board member looking for a saint...the rider showing it fell off twice, it napped and bucked with my very experienced and strong daughter and the vendor insisted it was a total novice ride just we were asking it to do things it didn't want to do...well go round the school would be too challenging .... obviously the novice rider was expected to sit still while the horse took them where it wanted!! ( that was a haflinger too!!!)

Wiz201

Nov 13, 2011
That bridle looks a bit fancy to me with a strange noseband on too. I would have felt happier seeing it in a snaffle or even a flash noseband wouldn't have bothered me as much.

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Wow - as a novice owner myself I can absolutely see why they fell in love as she is stunning!! I also have a soft spot for Haffies too BUT in my search I learned from various places that they often fall into 2 categories. Either absolute saints, or feisty and opinionated and not a novice ride. I decided that perhaps I shouldn't take the risk as I really needed a confidence giver and didn't want to accidentally get the wrong horse.

I would never have dared to buy a horse without an experienced person coming with me or a vetting but I guess some people haven't heard as many scary/sad stories as we have where the wool has been pulled over peoples eyes.

Do you think you could convince her to get someone to go and have a look with her before its too late, or even better, have a vetting done? I appreciate that some people don't need to have a horse vetted but I think most novices would benefit from it.

All that said, I REALLY hope she has found one of the rare perfect ones!

diamonddogs

Apr 14, 2008
Badiddlyboing, Odawidaho
Well, I can't really comment because I bought Sham on the first viewing without doing any more than sitting on her, and no vetting, but that said, I felt a connection with her (which just gets stronger every day) and she was very cheap as the owner had financial difficulties and too many horses.

However, there's no way I'd part with close on to three grand without a 5* vetting.

Let's hope they're as lucky with this Haffie as I was with Sham.

She's very pretty though!

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Right well I asked what bit she was ridden in at the try out - she said 'it was very unusual with a chain under her chin and the owner said she wore it for showing'....I think it sounds like a Pelham :( ok I know some horses prefer straight bars etc but a Pelham on a novice owners horse...doesn't sound good. But I asked was she strong and she said not at all, she said she was fussy with her tongue to start too, so sounds to me like she doesn't actually like the Pelham...

B

Black Beastie

She has to have a vetting done, I stupidly got E done without a vetting, not that she had anything wrong with her (and Im an experienced horse person with 20+ years behind me) but Ill never od it again. Id even be getting any youngster I was wanting to buy a two stage with bloods.

Silly people if they get it done :redcarded: