Not a Horse Fly!

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Don't wear shorts to the yard! We have a nasty, vicious type of normal looking fly that bites hard enough to make you go "ouch". Unfortunately I react as if a HF has got me. Unlike HF's they can't bite through clothes..... so jods it is from now on!!

(the big one, my hands were full so I couldn't swat it straight away. The smaller one I reacted quicker!!)

20200916_081220_copy_600x1113.jpg

Last edited:
It’s stable flies, they look like a small house fly but have a brutal bite ? they tend to bite below 1m, so legs and bellies on horses. These are the things plaguing Jess ?

I got bitten by something about 3 weeks ago on my arm. At first i thought my arm was itching from my psoriasis. It gets worse when it turns colder and i have to start wearing jumpers. Then i realise that my arm is swelling like a balloon. I applied some itch cream but that didnt do anything, so in the end i used some betnovate on it. It took a week for the swelling in the arm to go down.
The actually site where i was bitten actually started to blister. Its still not gone yet and is still itchy. Been taking antihistamines for my runny nose so im hoping it has helped with the arm a bit also.

Lord knows what bit me.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
I got bitten by something about 3 weeks ago on my arm. At first i thought my arm was itching from my psoriasis. It gets worse when it turns colder and i have to start wearing jumpers. Then i realise that my arm is swelling like a balloon. I applied some itch cream but that didnt do anything, so in the end i used some betnovate on it. It took a week for the swelling in the arm to go down.
The actually site where i was bitten actually started to blister. Its still not gone yet and is still itchy. Been taking antihistamines for my runny nose so im hoping it has helped with the arm a bit also.

Lord knows what bit me.
Maybe a false widow? Maybe get your local pharmacist to have a look. It certainly sounds a bit like the false widow bites.

It’s stable flies, they look like a small house fly but have a brutal bite ? they tend to bite below 1m, so legs and bellies on horses. These are the things plaguing Jess ?
Blimey! It WAS in the stable that it happened. How have I never known that these blighters exist??? Thanks for the info @Jessey .... at least they don't bite through clothes ???

Blimey! It WAS in the stable that it happened. How have I never known that these blighters exist??? Thanks for the info @Jessey .... at least they don't bite through clothes ???
They are called stable flies but they are just found near (they’ll travel a couple of miles) stables, barns, cow sheds, as they lay eggs in bedding, hay, long grass and muck heaps.

newrider.com