Not used to all these trees!

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
Lovely day yesterday, went for a bit of a longer explore with new friends in the forest. By heck it's easy to get lost in these forests. You can't see a blasted thing and you could ride all day if you got lost and never come across another road. Fákur getting fitter and loving every minute of his retirement potters. Tór was shameful and on springs. The folk I have been riding out with, on 16hh types cannot believe the "Icelandic walk" not one can keep up without constantly trotting. :D :D even Fákur at 28 can out walk a 16hh warmblood type.

That may be right Wally. But my experience of English riding schools is that little attention is paid to walk and schooling in walk. And when one hacks, there is the attraction of trotting to fitten up both rider and horse. I have been asked to collect and extend the walk on short and long sides of a school but never been asked to walk large round a school as fast as I can.

P.S. May I suggest carrying a compass?

Sounds wonderful Wally, although not the getting lost but!
I’m really happy for you that you are enjoying yourself again and it sounds like Fakur has a new lease of life too.

Lovely day yesterday, went for a bit of a longer explore with new friends in the forest. By heck it's easy to get lost in these forests. You can't see a blasted thing and you could ride all day if you got lost and never come across another road. Fákur getting fitter and loving every minute of his retirement potters. Tór was shameful and on springs. The folk I have been riding out with, on 16hh types cannot believe the "Icelandic walk" not one can keep up without constantly trotting. :D :D even Fákur at 28 can out walk a 16hh warmblood type.
View attachment 98076
That is some beautiful forest.

That may be right Wally. But my experience of English riding schools is that little attention is paid to walk and schooling in walk. And when one hacks, there is the attraction of trotting to fitten up both rider and horse. I have been asked to collect and extend the walk on short and long sides of a school but never been asked to walk large round a school as fast as I can.

Either that or leave a trail of crumbs! Lol. Actually a compass is a good idea....................Mr Trews swears by them

I love our forest and a ride where I get a bit lost is a good day ;) I find the best bits like that :D it certainly is easy to get turned around when you can't see the horizon for identifiable points, I have the OS locate app which is pretty handy when way off the beaten track.

Looks beautiful. Just a heads up - when I first got Ramsey, I didn't know my way around the New Forest at all - I got totally lost on about our second hack, and had the really stupid idea that Ramsey would be like Black Beauty, or My Friend Flicka and bravely find our way home. So I dropped the reins and we ended up in a thicket of brambles. Eventually I saw a pylon above the tree line and headed for that, which at least helped me get my bearings. Got home 3 hours later. Yup - definitely get a compass :)

I am told by the resident geologist and the mad mountaineer I ride out with that the rocks under which we ride play merry hell with a compass and they are no use at all.

That looks a great place to ride. Anywhere near the Galloway forest? I understand if you don’t want to give away exactly where you live. I am trying to find an area to move to that has great off road riding, affordable housing and somewhere for me to work! Not many places in the UK offer all that, but Dumfries is on my list!

I love riding through the trees, always reminds me of films like Lord of the Rings!

Glad you're having a lovely time in your new surroundings and enjoying getting out and about :)

newrider.com