Old fashioned "holey" sweat rugs.

Jul 15, 2005
Essex
Does anyone know if you can still buy the old fashioned sweat rugs with all the holes in? My mare gets too hot travelling in a fleece cooler rug, but I would like to put something on her so that she doesn't ruffle her coat whilst travelling.

Can't seem to find one to buy anywhere near me. :confused:

I have an old fashioned holey sweat rug and it doesn't leave marks on my lad's coat??

It isn't tight, it's on the loose side. I much prefer them to the newer cooler type rugs.

I have a shires and also one from robinsons (i think?) :)

ooh ive got 2 and they are great

One is a red small mesh one which is great and fits 5ft 9 - 6ft, doesn't leave marks on coat and is a great travel rug (thats what ive always used)

The other is a 5ft blue one which is thin fleece at the top then fine mesh the bottom half -

great rugs i think as much cooler (bu i have always had hot horses for some reason)

(p.s. both for sale if any would fit and as new condition :eek:)

ooh ive got 2 and they are great

One is a red small mesh one which is great and fits 5ft 9 - 6ft, doesn't leave marks on coat and is a great travel rug (thats what ive always used)

The other is a 5ft blue one which is thin fleece at the top then fine mesh the bottom half -

great rugs i think as much cooler (bu i have always had hot horses for some reason)

(p.s. both for sale if any would fit and as new condition :eek:)

Drat! My mare takes a 6' 9" rug so they would be too small unfortunately.

Thanks for all the tips though everyone - will go and search the net a bit more thoroughly!!

I don't mind it marking her coat as we only do local shows/fun rides. If I don't put a rug on her she tends to make big ruffles all along one side where she leans. :rolleyes:

The thing with those rugs is that they wont actually cool them off unless you have a rug over the top. You would be better with no rug at all, I never travel ours in a rug through the summer. :)

The thing with those rugs is that they wont actually cool them off unless you have a rug over the top. You would be better with no rug at all, I never travel ours in a rug through the summer. :)

Holey (or string vest) type rugs aren't actually designed to cool them off. They create bubbles of air which provides insulation which stops the horse cooling off too quickly! So their aim is to allow the horse to cool off at a slower rate than normal.

Holey (or string vest) type rugs aren't actually designed to cool them off. They create bubbles of air which provides insulation which stops the horse cooling off too quickly! So their aim is to allow the horse to cool off at a slower rate than normal.

So they do cool them off, then. :)

Why does she wear a rug at all when travelling if she gets too hot? I have a string rug for use on the way home from competitions (where they may have been hot before they were loaded into the trailer) but otherwise mine are naked and don't get hot.

So they do cool them off, then. :)

Nope. Horses will cool off anyway. But they stop horses cooling down too quickly, i.e. to stop them getting a chill.

You can have a horse without a sweat rug, and it'll cool down quickly as the water in the sweat evaporates. If this happens too quickly horses, or people for that matter, can get a chill.

Sweat rugs provide a layer of insulation (albeit a small one) which has been produced by trapping air between rug itself and horses body. It stops the horses losing heat too quickly, and therefore preventing a chill.

Does that make sense? Sorry not very good at explaining things.. especially not physics!

Nope. Horses will cool off anyway. But they stop horses cooling down too quickly, i.e. to stop them getting a chill.

You can have a horse without a sweat rug, and it'll cool down quickly as the water in the sweat evaporates. If this happens too quickly horses, or people for that matter, can get a chill.

Sweat rugs provide a layer of insulation (albeit a small one) which has been produced by trapping air between rug itself and horses body. It stops the horses losing heat too quickly, and therefore preventing a chill.

Does that make sense? Sorry not very good at explaining things.. especially not physics!

That's what i understood a sweat rugs purpose was too. If a horse cools TOO quickly it can get a chill so the sweat rug prevents it cooling down too fast - in effect keeping it warmer- it doesn't aid the COOLING process at all. Runners always put a layer on when they cool down to stop them cooling too fast otherwise they'll get a chill. It's the same principle with horses x :D

newrider.com