old people's riding club (OPRC)

kedwards

Jun 11, 2000
Connecticut, US
Visit site
In the US, there is a national organization by that name, which is essentially based on the pony club model, but is only for adults. They do ratings, rallies, events, and clinics. Apparently, my local chapter is called "Vintage Equestrians." Cute, huh?

I'm thinking about joining as it sounds like fun. Has anyone done anything like this?

yes, we have a local chapter of which I am a charter member. Last year and this year I am taking a sabbatical but plan on re-joining in 2004.

The woman who started it all (Hope) and my trainer Lisa were childhood friends. Hope and several of her group's members flew from Maryland to Washington this last October. They joined our group on a "wine-tasting winery tour on horseback".

It's fun but I am a little too busy right now to concentrate solely on my horsey endeavors.

I belong to an offshoot of British Dressage. Bearing in mind that the junior branch is known as BYRDS (British Young Riders Dressage Scheme)...and the under 12 yrs group is called Flegelings....we (the over 40's) are known OWLS...supposingly standing for Older, Wiser and Likes Schooling......however we went on an outing to the yard of a (male/straight) trainer of International renoun who shall remain nameless but he is known as something of a ladies man. He was very disappointed with us because he has been told it stood for ...Older Women Like Sex.

:D :D

I think the Old People's Riding Club sounds wonderful. A bit like Terry Wogan's TOGS! (I am sure they are probably all wonderful riders unllike moi).

I wish there were something like that here so that older folks could just pootle about and have a bit of a laugh.

The yard where I am is a large equestrian centre very much concentrating on shows and competitions. There are quite a lot of fun things for children but the stuff for adults is fairly competitive and serious.

We older folk just tend to hack around the countryside (mostly in plod mode) but it would be nice to have something organised, something to give one a bit of focus without being scarey.

I am geeing (excuse the pun) myself up to start having lessons again soon to get myself a bit more focussed.

Snowflake

There you are Snowflake, a project. No reason why you and your 'old' friends couldn't organise yourselves a little fun show, or a mini le trec.really not difficult to organise, you only need a venue ie. book the school, and find a dessage judge, trainee ones are usually quite keen for the experience,rope in a steward to do timings, someone to write, scorekeep, jumpjudge etc.Sortout schedule, ask minimal fee to cover costs + judges pressie and petrol. Persuade everyone to have a go and the rest to help and you're away. I'd do it for you if you weren't so far away. Cheers L

I contacted our local branch of the old people's riding club by email about a year ago, taking great pains to explain my current riding ability, the time I had available, etc. (I wanted to know if it would fit into my lifestyle), and never got a reply. Humph!

newrider.com