One Slip and my life has ended..sobbbb

Your life hasnt ended.
I spent most of my life with no riding - because I promised OH when we married that I wouldnt ride. It wasnt a joke. My mother's aunt was killed by her horse and we know other people who have died riding.
And you didnt.

Riding is so so dangerous that no Doctor would recommend anyone, even a fit person to do it, unless they loved it so much they were willing to accept the risks as a fair exchange for the psychological and physical benefits. Lots of us on NR have been told by consultants that we mustnt ride.

As time passes, your injury may well be of less significance in being able to ride again than your keeping fit and not putting on weight. People who have urged you to look after yourself and concentrate on physio and getting better are totally right. Train for re-mounting a horse even if you dont expect it to happen.

Whether it happens will then depend on you personally weighing up the risks in light of your physical condition when your treatment is over.

One of the things about horse riding, is that elderly and infirm people can ride on a horse. When I went for my first lessons aged 62 I knew disabled kids rode. I just had no idea that people (riders) would be so horrid about anyone wanting to ride who couldnt put their heels down or sit straight on a horse.

Your main problem may be that you wont be able to ride exactly as you did before the accident and you may need a thick skin to persist in spite of what experts and teachers yell at you. Find a good teacher, skilled in helping people to get a good seat on the lunge and understanding of physcial problems.

Finally I want to say how sorry I am you fell dismounting.I fell dismounting in my second lesson and I saw a man in his 80s have difficulty at the same RS. It was then decided that I should dismount a different way. One reads a lot on NR about people who have difficulty mounting a horse and there is not enough thought about try and dismount the proper way. But now I think I will accept things as they are.

If you have a fragile leg after the accident, plus the fear of falling a second time, that problem of dismounting will be something on which a good teacher and proper care will see you through. But it is not necessarily something that will look after itself.
So as you lie in bed or watch telly, I hope you will do some horse and NH reading and DVD watching and plan a new and different life - rathen than lament the loss of your old one.

I bet I was the only one looking at that picture to actually get excited. I love treating these kind of injuries, shame you are not in my neck of the woods :rolleyes:

Everything seems awful now, but dont get down, people have ridden with worse injuries, I think D&D has some problem with her leg and gosh it doesnt stop her one bit :eek:

You are in a bit of shock right now and rightly so, but reassess in 6 months once you are back on your feet so to speak.....and

Dont watch too much Oprah:eek: :eek:

I can't add to the already sensible advice given but wanted to send my best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery; what an awful accident :(

Don't despair - just look at our Monty who just has to have her 'fix'. I have a friend whose had a bad fall and smashed her pelvis. The orthopods have to look on the bleak side - she was told she was unlikely to walk again unassisted and to expect at least 10 weeks in hospital. 10 weeks later she was not only out of hospital but walking unaided. Her pelvis will set off the airport alarms now :D. She is riding again and competing successfully in dressage. She does have one seat bone higher than the other and has had the seat of her saddle built up to level her up when riding. One leg is an inch or so shorter than the other. She was back riding less than a year after her accident.

Poor lpve !

As everyone else has said...it will be OK but my heart goes out to you !

The most important messages are from the people who have had the same type of thing and now are riding again....talk to them some more...they have been there and come back to before the accident !!!!

All the best

Some inspiring stuff on here from people who have hurt and recovered. Just wanted to send good wishes for your recovery and a plea to give yourself time. And get good physio or whatever it takes, once the healing has started. Let the board know how you are doing or to let off steam, frustration, whatever.

Sick_moose.gif

balloon20getwell.jpg

Get well soon and keep your chin up.

You CAN get over this.

Ouch! Sending you lots of sympathy and healing vibes. Keep your pecker up - it might not be all doom and gloom - you never know, the doc might have gotten it wrong. Wishing you a speedy recovery - take care. Trewsersxxxx

Skib, I'm surprised that you stopped riding because your husband said it was so risky. Have you ever ridden in a car, train, boat, plane? They're just as risky and, because of the speed they go at, you're more likely to be very badly hurt!!!! I think mine would be shown the door if he told me that.​

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone feeling a little better today made it to the bathroom and even had a wash.. had a breather then got dress and now ready to go back to sleep.

All my life people around me have been disabled and i have marveled at how they have coped but just never thought i'd be the one take the advise....

As for the horse he was great it was trial for loaning him and he's so sweet 17.2 Clydesdale X and he looked at me underneath his belly and well to say he was most concerned as to why after such a great ride I wasn't feeding him carrots, my dream horse aghh. I think thats why i'm so sore for myself at the moment......:mad:

I will focus on getting better I need to get better as OH is great but men they have there limits:D

Another thing :mad: why did A&E have to ruin my favourite jods and turn them into 4 peices of material, luckly I sucked hard on the ENtonox and they got my chap and joddy boot off.

Thanks everyone will keep you posted, maybe one day will ride off in to the sunset again.....

They had to cut them off hun, the risk of displacing the fracture plus not knowing exactly what was involved in the injury (like blood supply to the lower leg) meant it was the only safe option. They could most likely stabilise the leg to remove your boots and chaps. Might have been a different story if you'd had long boots on.

Make one of your recovery rewards/goals a really nice replacement pair of joddies.

Afellpony, I didnt stop riding, I just agreed not to take it up. In return, OH agreed not to start learning to fly. He also gave up smoking. That was 40 years ago.

I dont like flying at all actually. Terrifies me.

Thanks everyone will keep you posted, maybe one day will ride off in to the sunset again.....

yes you will! Not next month or next year, but you will! So sorry to hear about your mishap:(
(((((((((((((((((((((((Big warm Canadian hug))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Your life hasnt ended.
I spent most of my life with no riding - because I promised OH when we married that I wouldnt ride. It wasnt a joke. My mother's aunt was killed by her horse and we know other people who have died riding.
And you didnt.

Riding is so so dangerous that no Doctor would recommend anyone, even a fit person to do it, unless they loved it so much they were willing to accept the risks as a fair exchange for the psychological and physical benefits. Lots of us on NR have been told by consultants that we mustnt ride.

Sounds like my in-laws! my MIL hated me the moment she found out how serious her darling son & I were. Why? Because I was "taking away" her son and I was involved with horses! I had to promise to tone it down and once children were in the picture: to discourage them from horse involvement & keep them away from them. But I digress...

Yeah seems the first thing doctors do is tell riders to quit riding. it's very hard for me to bite my tongue when I hear this being told to me, when I'm the one that has been in the therapeutic riding field as an instructor, and they have probably never been near a horse!

If skiing is a no go (because there is a lot of torquing happening), then why would he not mention skating, tennis, squash, running... these sports apply a lot more stress to the leg than riding. if he said no more eventing, polo, racing, show jumping. yes alright, he has a point. But dressage, trail riding, bareback riding, well light riding in general, I'd like to know why it's a no go as opposed to other activities? I understand about a horse being unpredictable but there is a risk in any sport.

You could easily slip on ice again, and then what?

In western riding, there is just as much pressure as in english riding, there is emphasis on a long leg (like dressage) and an even lower heel. the lower leg gently hangs on both sides of the barrel. Maybe the doctor's thoughts were that a rider always has some sort of pressure being exherted on the affected bone?

Don't despair, everyone is an individual,every outcome is not always the same. There are so many things that you can do to stay involved with horses so don't despair, keep your chin up & heal that leg!

As long as you can weight bear and take it slow, safe & smart; you'll be back with your furry hooved friend enjoying a sunset once again.

:eek: Surely not!
I sound crazy, but if it was me i would let my self repair for a year and start riding again, ( i am not all suggesting you do that though hun )

But i know a show jumper who compeats at over 1 meter, and she is paralyzed:eek: !!!

But anyway hun >>>>*Hugs*<<<< Hope you get/feel better soon!
x
x
x
x
x

Lou
I think you are still coming to terms with what has happened. One minute everything was going well, one second later and your whole world has been turned upside down.

Don't dwell on the negatives. Think how far you have come in less than two weeks. From laying in absolute agony with your leg is pieces in hospital to being back at home relatively comfortable (even if thats with painkillers).

This is just a bad patch, you will get through this. It's still only early days.

Remember Positive Thinking aids recovery. Take this time to read those books, learn your theory for when you are back in the saddle. Keep up the physio excersises, you will put me to shame with your supplness and fitness levels when you are mobile again. Be ready to prove the doctors wrong - just take everything one step at a time and don't be in a rush.

Take care - see you soon.

newrider.com