Oops - fell off today!

LindaAd

Feb 20, 2000
Dorset, UK
Visit site
Such a lovely sunny day, went out for a ride with my kind neighbour - probably the fourth or fifth of our weekly rides, and Blondies getting much better; actually listens to me some of the time rather than saying "leave me alone, I'm out with my horsey friend"... And willing to take the lead and go ahead too.

Down the bridle path but we took a new route through the woods coming back. There was a very muddy bit round the narrow gateway at the end, and you had to cross a ditch that someone had filled with logs to make it drier - all a bit scarey for a little horse who's not really used to mud. So friend went ahead, no problem, and Blondie hurried to catch up, went too close to the gatepost (she's only just beginning to learn about lateral movement), caught my boot on the post, which unbalanced me, and the saddle slipped. My friend said afterwards that she thought I'd manage to stay on but there was no hope really - saddle went right round and splat! Luckily it was nice soft mud, and I was only winded, not hurt.

So after groaning and cursing for a bit (and apologising for spoiling the ride) I climbed on from the gate, and off we went ....

A non-event really, except it was my first fall off Blondie, and she behaved beautifully - waited to be caught, munched a bit of grass, moves *sideways* to the gate as I asked
(obedient Barney never ever learned that trick) and stood for me to climb on. So I think she'll be good.

And of course a reminder that hacking is always a venture into the unknown, however well you think you know the way, and falls happen when you least expect them ....

Hope that you're ok this morning and not feeling too stiff :) It certainly sounds like she's going to be a good 'un :D Last time I came off Saff looked down at me, decided that I was still alive and, therefore, ok and promptly legged it back to the yard (following the path mind, not going across the field!) :rolleyes:

Thanks for all lthe comments. No ill-effects, except for a certain reluctance to ride today ...But I took her out anyway, just a little ride, as it's only the second time we've been out alone, apart from when I rode her home - just up the road and down the road. But at last it was a ride. And she behaved beautifullly - I didn't even bother with the inhand stuff, because it was getting late; no strops, no problems.

Hey well done; its horrid getting winded isn't it, but golly so much better than serious accident. Great you went back out together today - and alone - you got guts girl.

newrider.com