Oops!

LindaAd

Feb 20, 2000
Dorset, UK
Visit site
She had me off again today, schooling in the field. I'd left the gate open between the front field, where we ride, and the back field, where we don't ... Just persuaded her to trot (always difficult when we haven't worked for a few days), and she made a dive through the gate (which is right next to the corner of the 'school'). I banged my leg on the gate, but I managed to turn her pretty swiftly, and my leg got hooked on the gate again: horse was going forward, gate wasn't, and I had no option but to fall off ...

I was winded, and I sat on the ground and howled for a bit, but no-one came to rescue me (OH was mowing the grass in the garden). Hebe, sweet horse, just stood there with that 'what are you doing that for?" look on her face - she didn't even start grazing. So retrieved the stirrup (fortunately the safety clip worked) and climbed on again and finished off with lots of trotting, transitions and rein-backs.

No damage - just what feels like a couple of bruises on my back - I seem to have fallen pretty square. And some skin off my fourth finger where the rein goes - a bit worrying that, because if it hurt my finger, what did it do to Hebe's mouth...?

Still, I think I'm getting a bit old for this lark ... I'm going to be stiff as a pumpkin tomorrow :sluggish:

Oops indeed. I hope you are still feeling ok this morning.

What a star Hebe is for just standing waiting for you :angel:

Don't suppose you would have really wanted anyone to see you be dragged off really :wink: but on the other hand it would have been nice if someone came to pick you up. Glad you still "bounce" though perhaps not the ideal way to test this out :giggle:.

Linda, I am so sorry. There is nothing more painful than getting one's knee/leg caught on a gate. I am totally neurotic about it. What bad luck.
Are you really OKay? It must have hurt very badly and I am not surprised you cried.

sorry to hear about your fall. one of my bigger fears I think.

hope you're feeling better...and cool that you didn't let it end your day and got back on and continued.

:smile:

newrider.com