Opinions on Kia Sorento for towing?

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
What do you think of Kia Sorento for towing?

Does it drive nice?

Looking to upgrade from my little punto to a car/jeep can tow with as want to be able to get out and about more and not rely on someone with a jeep and box. Can hire box locally for €50 a day which is good and friend has used them regularly.

Need to learn how to tow and everything but need the car first :giggle:

Also will be better for winter on the country roads I take to yard.

Any other recommendations?

Was thinking something 07/08 and have seen Kia Sorrentos 07 with about 40k milage for about the €10k mark which is around max of budget if that helps with other recommendations.

Don't mind if manual or auto.

Thanks

Amazing car's I have had mine for about 4 years. It is easy to drive and tows like a dream.

I have just towed my trailer with the boys in (16.2x2) plus kit 186miles to our mew home and I hardly felt it.

Worth every penny and will be upgrading next year to a newer one.

We have one. It has the advantage that it isn't a huge car, and it drives like a car, rather than it driving like a landrover i.e. it isn't basic inside and is very comfortable to drive as a car.

It tows effortlessly. You almost forget you have the trailer on and have to watch your speed as a result!

That sounds great, I need something that will be like a car when not towing as need it for work too and general day to day stuff.

Plan is to be able to do things like local mini midi maxi sj leagues and go to stuff like HTs, and then local places with great facilities to rent to train.

Pretty much everywhere I want to go is going to be less than a 30min journey luckily. So would probably be towing once a week or every couple weeks depending on what is on :bounce:

it will be perfect for that, it doesn't guzzle gass like a rangerover but it isn't a cheap car to run, but then any 4 x 4 like that will be similar, we looked at rangerovers first but given their 15 mile to the gallon range decided they were too expensive to drive.

we have a manual gearbox one, and they are fine to drive, they don't corner particularly well at speed, as they are a bit high and light, so you can't throw them around corners in the way you can a little car - we have a kia piccanto we use mainly for non towing and it is much nippier and holds the road better.

But I really like the Sorrento for towing, it is very steady, does it without effort, and drives like a car, not a lorry.

I have never towed with one but a girl at our yard has done and found it a great towing car.

I think I have read that the newer ones have a lower towing capacity, am very happy to be proved wrong of course, but may be worth double checking before anyone invests.

Have just had a quick Google, looks like one of the new models has a 2.5 T towing capacity, the rest 2.0T, so will all depend on what you are towing. I know 2.0 T would not be sufficient for our 511, Bob and his 17.1 chunky friend :redcarded:

Very exciting to be getting a towing car tho, look forward to lots of reports :happy:

newrider.com