Other people riding your horses?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
My friend from hockey came to meet the horses today and had a little ride on moet, she hasn't ridden for 15 yrs, I was well impressed, she took to rising trot really quickly and moet really behaved for her ( just walk and trot obviously)

One thing I noticed though - moet was in an outline...what am I doing wrong?! She's always poking her nose for me!

Me and hubby are thinking of hopefully starting a family within the next few years, so I am planning on getting extra riders to keep moet out and about whilst I am unable to ride!

What do you all think when you watch someone ridin your horse?

I'm soooo fussy about who rides Puz, she can be a monkey so they have to be competent but also gentle as she won't be bossed by someone she doesn't know!

It could be that she was relaxed and not trying too hard, it's amazing how often you can block an outline just because you're trying too hard.

I always tend to watch riders for their balance and tactics and how Puz is reacting to them. Having said that, there's only been a handful of people who I have let ride her in the nine/ten years i've had her

I don't really have this problem :giggle:

I can't ride Piggywig, because of his size so I can't get jealous of it.

And madam, no other adult has ridden her as she is just about 12hh so only kids ride her and they have all been lead rein/just off lead rein and I enjoy teaching on her so to speak - makes me proud of her when they achieve stuff :eek::)

No one rides Rosie. There are one or two people I might let have a little wander round or an instructor to show me something but the general rule is;

You can't ride my husband or my horse!

You can't ride my husband or my horse!

LOL1:bounce:

Generally most people at our yard are much better riders than me so I am happy for most of them to have a sit on Izzy. Although seeing as he can be a bit of a rodeo pony sometimes, strangely most haven't taken up the offer!

I have one person who rides Iz for me when I am away working. She is a really nice rider and is training to be a vet so I trust her with him. My RI also has ridden him about 8 times - schooling him over jumps. But she is a fab rider.

I do find it a bit ggrrrh when other people can get him going so nicely. But then my friends say that I get him going nicely, it's just different when you see someone else doing it.

Last night my YO rode him for a bit after we had a fun jumping session. She is recovering from cancer and it was so great to see her laughing as he 'expressed his opinion' and tried to nap to the jumps. It was also nice for someone else to appreciate what a fun pony he is. Although she does want to steal him for showing - but that is NOT going to happen!

I don't mind anyone riding my horses, but Kicsi really surprised me the other day.

I let our assitant, who rides for a living, ride Kicsi. I rode first. I always ride Kicsi bareback. She was as good as gold for me. Forward-going and obedient.

Maja got on her, bareback, which she was quite happy to do. (She said she was happy bareback but had never jumped more than 1m20 bareback.... so was very used to it!)

She said Kicsi was VERY lazy and she had to work hard with her legs. Within 10 minutes, Kicsi had thrown her off! :help: And she MEANT it. She tried to get her off again, but somehow Maja stayed on. She then didn't want to ride Kicsi anymore...! :eek:

Paul got on Kicsi, and she was foot perfect in walk, trot and canter (still bareback). I got on her - foot perfect. But she took a real dislike to Maja! Maja did nothing wrong - she's much lighter than me, but doesn't ride with the same contact I do... But she rides well. Kicsi has had total beginners on her, bouncing around, and not done ANYTHING wrong!

I was a tad horrified to be honest! :eek:

I love watching my RI ride Oscar, just because he goes soooo beautifully for her and it makes me realise just what he is capable of with a good rider, I secretly worry abit when anyone else rides him though, that sounds awful as nearly everyone else who's ridden him has much more experience than me, but I worry that they're confusing him as they ride quite differently. I don't think I get jealous though and like to see him being ridden well.
The one thing I find quite funny though is whenever anyone else has ridden him, he always looks for me and does his funny little sideways look as if he's saying 'save me mum, she's making me WORK!'

LOL Anna!!
Flip was ridden today by a friend - someone who doesn't regularly ride but doesn't have the same confidence wibbles that I do. I find it interesting to watch his reactions when he's got someone else on his back - they are usually not as unconfident as me and transmit that to my horse.
A friend's boyfriend wants a go on a horse - her's is a youngster just being backed so he's asked me for a ride. She's dead against the idea as Flipo can be a bit unpredictable but I actually trust him when someone else is riding - mostly because I would be at his head the whole time, we have trust on the ground, just not in the saddle yet.
Depressingly other people riding him reminds me of how big I am and how small that flamin saddle is, as well as shows that the saddle polishing position I have in walk is unique to me - its not the fact that my horse is a heavy and waddles.
Basically I think watching other people ride him helps me acknowledge how crap a rider I am. Auch well. He's mine. :happy:

My biggest thing is making sure that people who ride Joy can either ride, or not ride at all. Joy tests her riders to make sure they mean what they say but if it's a beginner she knows and is a donkey for them.

I love seeing others ride Joy. I know I'm biassed buy Joy is so pretty and has such a movely movement :wub:

I just wish I could watch her when I'm riding her so I could see how gorgeous she is. Trouble is that I don;t like audiences, riding in enclosed spaces or being on camera so I'm never going to get the chance.

After 30 years of riding I only have a few pics taken by others and Ruskki within the past 2-3 years and Ruskii took film of a pony party I was in. I'd like more pics where I'm actually riding for results but don't have the balls to do it :poop:

Apart from my RI the only other two people I have let ride Victory have been my sharers but only about 3 times LOL.

Victory is a complicated ride and definitely not for a novice.

He hates other people riding him. He stresses and puts his head in the air and refuses to relax. It has taken me a long time to get where we are together and I don't like the thought of inexperienced people riding him incorrectly.

My god if someone got on him and pulled and bounced and kicked he would be in the next county!!

when Xander is back i will be failry strict i'm afraid to say. i'm quite precious with him tbh. i will probably allow total non-riders to have a sit on, just because i can then explain how i want him ridden/it's only a pootle about, and they wont try anything. OR i will allow competant 'natural' (Parelli style) riders on him. i wont be letting anyone non-natural on him, no matter how good they are or think they are. my hoss, my choice. thats my prerogative.

Well done Moet for being a good girl :biggrin:

I must say i will never happilly let anyone else ride finn, OH has had a little tootle around on him but thats as far as it goes.

I think its because i would turn into a big green monster if i saw anyone else on him, plus it would show me up what a crappy rider i am :redface::redcarded:

Guess when i rode at an RS i felt a pang of jealousy every time my fave RS pony was ridden by someone else so now im all like 'HES ALL MINE!!!' :giggle:

Guess when i rode at an RS i felt a pang of jealousy every time my fave RS pony was ridden by someone else so now im all like 'HES ALL MINE!!!' :giggle:
That was soo me. I'm the same whenever someone else rode my fave RS pony( when he was there) or the cob when the pony left I was always thinking. ' he doesn't need a stick , there was no need to kick him , his fine for me, god there riding him crap, am much better then that, he listnes to me i dont need a stick on him' etc etc :bounce:

I LOVE watching people ride my horse(s). I so rarely get to see them being ridden that it's a real treat and as most people are better riders than me, it's great to see them do stuff that I can't manage or am scared to try.

Having said that, I wouldn't let any old Joe Public jump aboard.... it's an invitation-only thing (that would be my control-freak tendencies then :tongue:)

I dont generally mind who rides JJ - felt it was good for him being young to have different riders on board. And Ive never been too precious (within reason) to who wants to ride my horses.

But for some unfathomably reason I really dont want any one else riding Dolly.....and have already come up with a few lame excuses to friends, and I cant for the life of me think why I feel like this with her?:frown::confused:

I don't ride Harvey any more, or any other horse come to that, though my OH does. But he was on working livery at our previous yard, so the students rode him. Being a good jump horse, he was used for exams and was always praised by the examiners. We were happy to let friends ride him if they wanted.

I used to give some friends and students experience of driving with Grace too.

I've regularly had other people ride both my horses, as long as they do so nicely it doesn't bother me at all.

newrider.com