Paddock boots and chaps

CatMiner

Jun 10, 2019
I recently bought a pair of Ariat paddock boots and Dublin mesh chaps. The paddock boots are a little tight in the toe, but only at the stitching that goes across the top. When I put my heel down it's painful because they have a hard heel and my heel just gets smashed on it. They are also a little loose in the ankle, even when fully tightened. Will they loosen up? How are they suppost to fit?

Also, how are mesh chaps suppost to fit? Is it like leather chaps where they should be uncomfortably tight at the top since they stretch out, or do mesh chaps not stretch and should be a comfy fit?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

If the boots are leather they will soften, walking in wet grass normally does the trick :) Chaps shouldn't ever be uncomfortably tight IMO, they should be sung. The elastic panel on my mesh ones has slowly given on the tighter bits and they now fit like gloves :)

I have Ariat Heritage (?) boots which were comfortable from day 1. I'd be surprised if the heel issue will sort out in time?

If its comfortable it fits.
I have mesh chaps and they are fine, barely notice I am wearing.

So if you notice you are wearing it and it doesn't improve, it doesn't fit Imo.

Reactions: Trewsers
If its comfortable it fits.
I have mesh chaps and they are fine, barely notice I am wearing.

So if you notice you are wearing it and it doesn't improve, it doesn't fit Imo.

That is so true. The amount of times I've thought "oh it will wear in" and it never does! Thing with half chaps I used to struggle on was the length. I bought normal ones and they were too tall for me and in the end I managed to get slightly shorter ones.
Now I have long boots so not an issue.

Reactions: Huggy
Honestly, if I were paying what ariat boots cost, I'd expect supreme comfort from day one! I'm afraid I'm a stingy person, and the second hand muck boot co. boots I got were like walking on air from day one. I've also got cheapo paddock boots and chaps - same - comfy as you like.

Thanks so much everyone! So what I've gathered is:

1. Mesh chaps don't stretch out like leather, they only stretch at the seams and should then fit very well
2. Paddock boot should be comfy from day one and dont really stretch out either.

Please correct me of I'm wrong! :D

Reactions: Huggy
I don't tend to feel the need to break things in. I probably would walk about the house a bit with footwear, only because I know I can get rubs.

But think of it like tack for your horse. The saddle fits from day one, you don't break it in. You might need it adjusting after three months of settling but it shouldn't be painful.

newrider.com