Parelli Positive Experiences Post

janet hakeney

Dec 1, 2002
Visit site
Just for a change. A thread only for posts of positive encouragement and experience sharing for fans of the Parelli method of Natural Horsemanship.

There are plenty of threads running where people who aren't keen on Mr P's system are trying to run it down and test the emotional fitness of those of use who enjoy and embrace it. So let this one be different please.

I have been training my horses using PNH for about 4 years now. I have had nothing but positive experiences and made loads of new friends through it.

I start all the youngsters off using PNH and they turn out 'Calmer, Braver and Smarter' just like it said on the box.

My levels horse (links in my sig to pics, click on parties and training) who was a very hot, 'pull into the double bridle' sort prior to PNH, and you daren't drop the reins or you were 'off at Haydock' is now more than happy to do everything bareback and bridless. So I am very happy with what we are doing.

I would love to hear the positive experiences of other PNH students on this website.

Last edited:
There are plenty of threads running where people who aren't keen on Mr P's system are trying to run it down and test the emotional fitness of those of use who enjoy and embrace it. So let this one be different please.
Lol, hasn't run me down. Bored of reading them:rolleyes:! I have better things to do:D Like get on and learn to understand my horse.

Yup, absoultely loving Parelli. Knew nothing/very little on Parelli until May this year when I decided to start my journey on L1. Had no huge issues with my horse, I just wanted to see if I could better what was IMO already good between us, and there was!! Had no idea where or how it would take me. But now hooked and totally believe in it we are now working on L2 ground work, and today We were at LIBERTY:D;) Thrilled to bits that my own home learning is working on me!, not my horse but me!!:)
Granted the little I know so far, but I also feel I know so much! No doubt I am actually understanding my horse far far better after 9yrs of owning her in the last few months. I just wish I knew about Parelli earlier. Anyway, tis all onwards and upwards from now, and with an even happier horse. Thats all that matters to me:cool: And this will also set me up for any horse that comes into my life for the better!
Would also liek to add, nothing has been a waste of money, everything has been invaluable.

(Written about a month ago to another thread)
Hi
I bought my pure CB 3 years ago. A piece of cake to do all the basics to including breaking in etc. Very successful dressage as a 4/5 year old and then.......discovered he was bigger than me....... He is 6 next week and now stands 16.2hh.
Anyway, last Sept my pal sadly lost her hoss who was my boys' fieldmate. For 6 weeks he was an ANGEL. He did not put a hoof wrong. However, my friend bought another cob. Very nice and sane he is too. I took mine to a dressage comp the Sunday after the cob arrived and, well, needless to say, very unexpectedly he stood up on his hind legs during both tests. I took him home in disgrace!!!
By January, I was ready to shoot him. He had perfected his antics and was standing vertical on a regular basis.
I asked/read/phoned/etc for help, but every solution I had my boy developed another 'get out trick'. At my wits end by April, fearing I was going to be seriously hurt. I turned to Parelli. Got DVD sets of level 1 & 2. and worked away. Now my lovely boy is MUCH less nappy, FAR more friendly, has TONS more respect for humans, is VERY (safely) playful but knows where the boundaries are etc. Even after 35 years of horsin' around, there's always something else to try......................... Thanks Pat!
Update- still playing the games and working on getting quicker, lighter etc. Done some circling at Liberty. He pretends one day he cannot possibly do one game and then at the next session will change which 'game' he now cannot do!!! All part of the fun I suppose and he is just testing me!!! Still love the improvement.......

I have only tried the first game and i've already seen a difference in my pony.
I have seen the dvd i got in a magazine a couple of months ago and loved Parelli. The relationship Parelli had with his horses was amazing. When people say that Parelli is all about circus tricks, and why would you want your horse to do 'that?!' they obviously cant see what Parelli is trying to do. I think its all about creating a deeper bond with your horse and by asking him to do what you do, just shows the trust and bond created through using the Parelli method...If that makes any sense?!:eek:

One thing i will say is that the Parelli materials could be cheaper, because then i think his message would be able to reach a wider audience.:rolleyes:

For me, Parelli is about opening my eyes to my horse and training me rather than training Joy.

I dabble in Parelli. I see the merit and point of each of the games but aren't too fussed about starting the riding aspect. It might come later, never say never. :)

I had seen someone (2nd generation trainer) do so called Parelli with a horse at a show two years ago - I was brand new to owning my horse and a year into riding.... I decided that Parelli was no good (the horse looked scared stiff of the whip) and ignored everything about it, UNTIL a month ago..... :)

I was watching a video testimonial about those coverall arenas - and Pat Parelli had one - it showed some demos and wow I was converted. I thought "that's what I want for me and my horse!!"

I started L1 home study and this weekend I started L2... I am still working on the riding in L1 - that takes longer for me because we have no enclosed area where I graze so I need to go out to practice Pushing Passenger etc. Also if my co-grazers and YO saw me riding with a rope halter and one rope I would get so many "What the hell are you doing" looks.! :p

My horse didn't have any major problems.... but things I wanted to fix were;

• he would lean on his feet when I tried to pick up the front ones, and kick out a little when I picked up the back ones (only a little)...
  • he would not leave me on the lunge (stay close to me)
  • he was crabby while grooming and girthing up
  • when we go out he bucks if other horses get excited or canter (at shows mainly)
  • if other horses got upset he does too (out)
  • if it's feed time I can't ride him - too distracted
  • Distracted - that's a great word to describe him
  • Mostly he would load ok - hesitating on the ramp - sometimes (1 in 30 times he would run out once loaded.
  • Leans in on circles with shoulder
  • Pull me around if he wants to eat grass when leading
  • Try and move me with his nose as if to say - go get my food ;)
  • Walks out of wash bay or pulls back if tied up
  • if he became RB he would run - sometimes towards me - or spin round on the end of the lead rope while tied up so his bum would come at me - not seeing me....

okay - after typing that he sounds really bad hey? But they were all quite little things and apart form the shows - mostly manageable.

But I realised I was doing what Linda said she was doing... I would only ride between 12 and 4pm, and avoid riding with others with excitable horses, I was extremely picky about who else I rode out with - their horse had to be bombproof, and the ground stuff I guess just slowly got worse over time so I didn't notice it.

NOW; - 4 weeks later....
  • he picks up all his feet at the lightest ask (and from both sides)
  • if he stands on the 12ft line while grazing while we are moseying - he slowly picks up his foot and moves backwards and carries on
  • he is less crabby with saddling - and not crabby with grooming anymore
  • He leads politely - occasionally we have a tug of war for grass but not a big one
  • One night we had this huge storm - 150km winds and ice cold rain - I had to lead him in from his paddock in the dark to add another cover as he was shivering cold.... and it was very scary up at the barn with all sorts of noises and howling winds.... but even when he got a fright he didn't run into me or spin into me - and kept looking at me for reassurance..... :D I was so pleased.
  • He doesn't move off when I mount
  • He doesn't call out to other horses when out (so far)
  • He seems more calm when we are out (only been out twice)
  • He doesn't shove me with his nose
  • We can do the circle game and he stays out on the circle!!
  • He doesn't fall in on the circle in the circle game
  • He pays more attention to me
  • Stays in wash bay now without being tied up
  • He seems really happy - still checking me out each day as if to say "you have changed!" but generally our relationship is much better. He yawns daily now!
:D

So - I am very very very impressed with Parelli - and also with the standard of their home study - well worth every cent... best home study course I have done.

So - after L1 DVDs saying I must move on to L2 ground work while I am completing the L1 riding - I thought - ok - why not?! The exchange rate is awesome at the moment.

So - after watching the beginning of L2 I went out with Garbo today. Wanted to go to a place that had some obstacles - we have NONE at our grazing.

He normally hesitates just before the ramp of the float and then I lead him on. He sometimes takes a look around and then comes on. For some bizarre reason (it was raining) I thought I would use the Send to send him ahead of me.... he started then turned away..... so I led him on but I had the carrot stick in my hand still (don't normally use a whip or anything when loading) and he ran out :eek:

After all the things I learned from the L2 dvds so far I put so many into use today.....

Normally I would have got angry....

I stayed really calm - smiled and patted him.... and asked him again - again he ran off (turned in the float and ran out front ways)....I had the 12ft line and started to try and stop him by yanking the rope, and remembered the dvd and just followed him off... he stopped!! Yay. ;)

More patting and smiles.... (gee that helped me not get angry and frustrated)..... and then I led him on again (save the send for another day me thinks).... and he stayed on.... and he was good going on for the return journey too....

So; I remembered to stay calm and smile; to not make it a tug of war if he runs off; and to go back to friendly game each time after a RB episode. AND as my OH pointed out - to last longer than my horse....

As Linda would say - OH BOY! :)

Last edited:
Some great stories here - I am off to their demo at the weekend in Birmhingham and am looking forward to that. I haven't bought any of the courses...yet! Suspect I will though.

Parelli helped me regain my confidence after having it shattered by quite a few traumatic experiences with Beau, it also helped me to help him overcome his serious bucking problem. Thanks to Parelli he's now a pleasure to be around and ride.......

:)

Great post. I have been working on my L1 with my horse. I like the program alot, my horse had its behavior problems like all horses. I am excited about getting to L2 and beyond. There are so many things I have learn and the changes in my horse. But the one I love the most that she pays alot more attention to me know, even just facing me more, she never used to do that. I know my confidence is much better and so is hers when I asked her to put her nose on something or sending her some where. Its great!

It's not that I'm not keen on Mr P's methods (or that of any other NH trainer) but why call it natural when they use carrot stix and other non-natural aids? Natural should mean just that.

Its just a name Afp which means we try and communicate in a way that is easier for the horse to understand and using signals that are as close as poss to how horses normally talk to each other, I think we all know that horses don't go round riding each other;) It's just a name, maybe not the best of them but its the work in it that counts, so lets all get over the "natural" thing and concentrate on what its about instead:)

Great to see so much sucsess with PNH, its lovely to see a positive thread on it and hear such great storys:D

It's not that I'm not keen on Mr P's methods (or that of any other NH trainer) but why call it natural when they use carrot stix and other non-natural aids? Natural should mean just that.

If wanting to be Natural to the word, then you wouldn't even ride a horse? I mean it's not even natural for a horse to be ridden.

This is purely our human attempt at getting it as close as possible to being natural to the horse (yet safe for us) in communication and forming a relationship to where the horse is willing and accepting of us. Is a correctly used carrot stick so bad? I can think of far worse aids in the domineering world.

There is already another thread running asking for opinions on Parelli.

This one is for those that follow PNH and want to post positive experiences. I don't think it is too much to ask to let just one thread not turn into a debate and remain a support group.

not trying to take this OT but as a non parelli person i'm finding it interesting to read these happy posts about it rather than a tearing apart of the method, and dare i say it I'm starting to get intrigued:eek:

i did what you said mayo

went about it myself to see what i thought, bought the level 1 pack and done the first three games and i am really enjoying myself

Re Vicky GG's experiences. I too have noticed massive changes in my boy - all to the good and myself too, I now dont get angry or frustrated any more. Having great fun doing different things. At the weekend my friend and I did a "despook" - my boy was quite happy do stand and paw tarp on the ground, jump balloons and jump an open umbrella!!!! Bidding on Level 3. Very sad but cannot attend the conference this weekend - sulk!
Keep the comments coming, as very interested to hear how others' are doing, and for those who dont like NH GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

newrider.com