pelham bridle

shadowfax1967

Aug 29, 2008
south wales
Hi everyone need some advice, i ride my cob in a pelham which suits her greatly, i use roundings on the bit so just ride with one rein......but......now she is getting fitter, when out hacking especially in company she can become quite excited and strong.

I was told that riding in a pelham with roundings and one rein defeats the object off the bit, and i would have more control (brakes) with two reins as this would encourage better head carriage and outline.

could someone please give me some advice on this i do not want to change her bit just because she becomes quite strong as i don't believe a strong horse necessarily needs a stronger bit as this can sometimes make them worse.....she is very well behaved just gets strong and excited sometimes in company whilst hacking out.

IMO Pelhams should always be used with 2 reins, the bit was designed for this and roundings do pretty much defeat the object of the bit.

My Welsh D Fella went in a Pelham (after trying millions of bits!) and we started using one on the advice of my instructor - he was an old ex-army cavalry guy. He was horrified when I turned up for my lesson with roundings, and promptly removed them, put me in double reins and told me if my horse needed a bit which required 2 sets of reins, "...then I would HAVE TO darn well learn to ride with 2 sets of reins..." :eek: I did!! PDQ!! Honestly, I learned, and now find 1 set of reins really quite alien! :)

Two reins are the way to go, the bottom (curb) set can be brought into play when the horse gets a bit strong. I usually ride on the top set, and keep the curb set loose, I can tweak it if I need to. When hacking, I often knot the curb set, and can pick them up if I need to say 'Oi you - steady it up a bit mate!' to Fella! :D

It's honestly not difficult to learn - and once you have learned, it's like riding a bike, or learning rising trot - you will always remember it.

A slightly better alternative to 2 sets of reins for those who really struggle, are split reins. But you can't beat 2 sets of reins for refined and precise communication with a horse wearing a Pelham. :)

ETA...Re. carriage and outline - it is VERY easy to force a horse into the wrong outline (overbent) if the curb-rein is over-used. Well...it is with my lad anyway!! ;)

The first couple of times I rode, it was like playing with leather spaghetti, but I got there. :)

It's a good idea to practice with 2 sets of reins on a snaffle (so you can get used to holding all the reins correctly and not affect the horse's mouth too much) or by using reins a Pelham NOT in a horse's mouth. :) I've taught loads of people to use double reins by rigging up a Pelham and 2 sets of reins on a chair, or their feet, or a door handle, and letting them practice. :)

Totally agree with KV, my mare needed to go in a pelham to hack with and I learnt to ride with two reins as felt roundings would confuse the situation.

I find it easiest to have the snaffle between my first and second finger and then the curb between my second and third. You can ride in quite a few different ways depends on how you feel comfortable.

Here's pics (thanks Google!) of the 2 usual ways:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=174&ty=101&page=1&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...x=191&ty=90&page=1&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

Both ways have the curb and snaffle rein seperated by either the ring finger, or the little finger. The reins should always be crossed - the snaffle rein should be LOWER than the curb rein in your hand. This way, the snaffle rein has most contact. If you ride with them uncrossed, there is real risk of the curb taking most of the contact. Without crossing them, it's potentially more severe.

Here's a pic of Fella with his plaited reins and plain reins - the plaited are the top set, the plain are the curb set. You can see they are 'crossed'.
FellaPlaitedreins2.jpg

This is a much more unusual way:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=14&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:13&biw=1024&bih=610

P.S. Who can spot my BIGGEST tack-hate? ;) On MY horse!! :eek:

Totally agree with KV, my mare needed to go in a pelham to hack with and I learnt to ride with two reins as felt roundings would confuse the situation.

I find it easiest to have the snaffle between my first and second finger and then the curb between my second and third. You can ride in quite a few different ways depends on how you feel comfortable.

Actually I dont have it like that at all...... I have the snaffle in the normal position and the curb between my 3rd(ring) and 4th(little) finger. Call it too much wedding alcohol :redface:

I dont cross them as havent used a pelham that much get confussed with the reins, I tend to keep the curb rein quite lose and then tighten untill i feel even on both reins.

If you going to show then you would need to use the way KV has described but personally find it easier to not cross them as of yet .....

newrider.com