Pesky Flies!

Juliaa

Julia
Aug 20, 2017
London
Anyone else having a hard time with flies this summer round?

I've bought a fliespray for £15 which seemed to work last summer and prevent the flies landing on the horses, but this time I've nearly used up half the bottle over the week, as I'd spray it, would last a could 5 minutes before the flies come swarming back.

I wouldn't mind it but it bothers the horses and it's a bit difficult when you're trying to pick the feet out and they are trying to rip their feet out of your hands to slam them back onto the ground and shake the flies off.

I was given a homemade fly repellent by someone, and it did a better job than the one I bought but still the come swarming back.

Any recipes for homemade fly sprays I could try that would work?

I'm up for trying anything at the moment!

Buy some Deosect and dilute it down. It is a pesticide so you have to handle it very carefully but it is one of the only things that truly repels flies.

Reactions: Trewsers
Buy some Deosect and dilute it down. It is a pesticide so you have to handle it very carefully but it is one of the only things that truly repels flies.

Yes much as I loathe the smell, it worked on delicate Zi!!! (The mares are well 'ard and didn't seem to care at all about the flies:p compared to his nibs)

Nothing stops them completely, and some work with one type of fly but not another, its a pain! My mare needs a fly rug most of the summer or she gets eaten alive.

I make my own fly repellent, I make 2l at a time with 1l cold black tea, 500ml white vinegar, 1 cap listerine mouthwash, a drop of dish liquid soap, 40 drops eucalyptus oil, 40 drops tee tree oil, 40 drops citronella and a thumb nail size blob of neem oil, then top off to 2l with cold water. Its works well most of the time and is very soothing to put on if they have been bitten.

When the bugs are really bad tho I resort to deosect or power phaser but I have to watch that, if I use the pp daily it takes my mares sensitive skin off.

I just can’t decide if it’s best to take off my mares flysheet or keep it on and have the flies land on her. I’m in France and we’re having 40 degree heat and the flies are unbearable but the heat is too. I take her fly sheet off as she’s drenched with sweat but then the flies land - leave the fly sheet on and she’s soooo hot. She’s an old lady so I don’t want her to be uncomfortable.

I‘m currently cooking up nettles and lavender with tea, vinegar and eucalyptus oil in the hope that might repel the flies for a while.

I’ve got away with no sheet and fly spray the last few days but it doesn’t seem to be working today so will drag out the lighter sheet, soak it and pop it on before I leave, it’s the damn bit flies she really hates and starts her charging around

Well, my fly repellent concoction seems to work!.......for 5 minutes at most. ? Those damn flies are a right pain!!
Soaking the fly sheet sounds like a good idea, I may well do that today. Thanks!

The fly collar is brilliant.

I cannot rate it highly enough. I have one on my sheep who is finally smiling through summer (and he really suffers) and one on a horse who hates them. Works so well.

Bought two more.

I searched and searched but could not find a quick remedy so I created one myself.

This was how (hopefully it helps someone out there):

Homemade Horse Fly Repellent​

Ingredients:

1. 1 cup of white distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar
  2. 1 cup of water
  3. 1 tablespoon of eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil
  4. 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or citronella oil
  5. 1 tablespoon of dish soap (to help mix everything together and break down the oils)
Instructions:

1. Mixing: In a large mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, water, eucalyptus oil (or tea tree oil), lemon juice (or citronella oil), and dish soap.
  2. Stirring: Stir the mixture thoroughly until well combined.
  3. Bottle Transfer: Using a funnel, carefully pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
  4. Application: Before spraying on your horse, shake the bottle well to ensure the mixture is well combined. Spray the repellent generously on your horse, avoiding the eyes, nostrils, and mouth.
Additional Tips:

• Always do a patch test first to ensure your horse doesn't have an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients.
  • Reapply the spray every few hours or as needed, especially after heavy sweating or rain.
  • For sensitive areas like the face, you can spray the repellent on a cloth and carefully wipe it on, avoiding the eyes and nostrils.
  • Store the repellent in a cool, dry place.
Remember, while this homemade repellent can help deter flies, it may not be as long-lasting or effective as commercial products. It's essential to observe how well it works for your horse and adjust the ingredients or reapplication frequency as needed.

Reactions: Huggy
I searched and searched but could not find a quick remedy so I created one myself.

This was how (hopefully it helps someone out there):

Homemade Horse Fly Repellent​

Ingredients:

1. 1 cup of white distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar
  2. 1 cup of water
  3. 1 tablespoon of eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil
  4. 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or citronella oil
  5. 1 tablespoon of dish soap (to help mix everything together and break down the oils)
Instructions:

1. Mixing: In a large mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, water, eucalyptus oil (or tea tree oil), lemon juice (or citronella oil), and dish soap.
  2. Stirring: Stir the mixture thoroughly until well combined.
  3. Bottle Transfer: Using a funnel, carefully pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
  4. Application: Before spraying on your horse, shake the bottle well to ensure the mixture is well combined. Spray the repellent generously on your horse, avoiding the eyes, nostrils, and mouth.
Additional Tips:

• Always do a patch test first to ensure your horse doesn't have an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients.
  • Reapply the spray every few hours or as needed, especially after heavy sweating or rain.
  • For sensitive areas like the face, you can spray the repellent on a cloth and carefully wipe it on, avoiding the eyes and nostrils.
  • Store the repellent in a cool, dry place.
Remember, while this homemade repellent can help deter flies, it may not be as long-lasting or effective as commercial products. It's essential to observe how well it works for your horse and adjust the ingredients or reapplication frequency as needed.
Watch out for lemon juice in sunlight - it causes bleaching!

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com