PLEASE READ, what are your prices??

EllenL62

Sep 3, 2008
I'd appreciate anyone's help they can give me. I am a teenager and my parents are looking into letting me get a full loan and i'd like to know the prices people pay for things so I can help my parents work out a budget.=)

The livery at the yard i would be looking at is £35 per week and includes; stable, field, school, hay & bedding. Obviously we need to pay for feed, shoes, insurance, etc. etc.

It would be very useful if people would tell me what they pay for things like shoes, feed, insurance etc. I live in Wiltshire btw for price differences and stuff. I no people's prices will differ a lot and obviously depends on your horse for feed and shoes but it would just be useful to know your prices anyway! Thanks

i pay
£54 for a full set of shoes
feed i think is something around £20 for sugarbeet (which lasts me about 2 months) and hi-fi original (which lasted me 5 months last time :eek: :p)

insurance i dont pay for so have no idea (dad deals with that)

worming costs me £22 every 12-13 weeks

her jabs are £32 (flu and tet)

teeth cost £55 last time (i didnt have her then but theres a sheetin her passport which explains all and has theprice on it)

hope it helps :) good luck with the loan !

Shoeing varies each area and farrier...

My farrier charges me £20 for a trim only. £30 for front shoes and trim and £50 for a full set of shoes with a trim.

Worming is usually every 13 weeks and you can discuss with the owner what worming programme she/he has used. Wormers can be brought off the internet for cheaper. ;)

Insurance depends on the value of the horse and the competition you would like to enter into. :)

Vaccinations are annual and include the call out fee for the vet. Usually you can find someone else on the yard who needs the vet at the same time to share the call out fee. :)

I was in the same position as you :)
I was 15 when i had my last loan horse. Hope this helps abit..
I payed (approx, not all exact)-
£15 a week livery- Turnout & Stable
£20 a month feed
£35 every 7-8weeks for shoes (he had fronts on with road nails and backs just got rasped/trimmed etc)
worming i dont remember how much it cost, around £15-£20 a time.,depends what you use really.
Insurance i have no idea.
Ermm i cant remember anything else aha!
Good luck with finding and getting you new horse! :)
x

Shoeing varies each area and farrier...

My farrier charges me £20 for a trim only. £30 for front shoes and trim and £50 for a full set of shoes with a trim.

Worming is usually every 13 weeks and you can discuss with the owner what worming programme she/he has used. Wormers can be brought off the internet for cheaper. ;)

Vaccinations are annual and include the call out fee for the vet. Usually you can find someone else on the yard who needs the vet at the same time to share the call out fee. :) there are some clinics (like mine:D) that have a freecall out day for your area!
there are some clinics (like mine:D) that have a freecall out day for your area!

ahh im buying my wormer off of the internet next time !:eek:

also my farrier trims aswell etc for £54

Shoes between £40 and £60, dependent on whether you do fronts only or backs, too. Insurance is about £32 a month from NFU, a bag of feed is about £10 and may last up to 6 weeks. You might want hard feed and chaff-chaff is about £4 a bag. Carrots, apples etc as you require. Will you be buying tack or rugs? Will you be paying for lessons? Vaccinations aren't covered under insurance and can be quite expensive, along with worming-£12 a wormer. Speak to the YO and get a basic list of prices so you know how much to be putting aside monthly. I'd count about £200 monthly (including your livery) to include emergencies and have some left over for treats etc.

shoes- £60
worming- not too sure (this is where dad comes in:p) i think £10 (and thats every 13 weeks):)
feed- pony nuts- £8 a bag and this lasts me about 3 months
- just grass- £6 a bag and this lasts me about 2 months
- carrots- £1.40 a sack and these last me a week/ sometimes a week and a half
- garlic- £4 and this lasts me for about 4 months
insurance- no idea thats dads department again:p
dentist- £30 last time but it depends whether she needs any work done (this is every 6 months)
vaccinations- about £30 cant really remember and these need doing every year

hope that helped:)

I pay £72 for a full set of shoes with stud holes (expensive south east!) every 5 weeks.

my insurance is around £38 a month - I am insured for eventing and hunting which bumps the price up a lot - if you are not doing high risk activities the cost will be much cheaper.

my food is included in livery price, thank god, as I feed a lot!

Shoes cost me £42 as she only has fronts on,
cool mix is £5
apple chaff £2
insurance is £38
Teeth £43 (from my vet)
vac's £48 influ and tet
wormer £15
codlive sup £8
garlic £6
biotin £10
veg oil £3
calmer £9
Then on top of that i had to pay out for all her tack and rug's

Hoof trim (every 6-8 weeks) - £20
Worming (Every 8-12 weeks) - £20 (sometimes more and sometimes less)
Feed - Cool mix £7.15, Molichop £5.25, Bran £6.50, Oats (winter only) £8, Carrots £1.50 a sack, Garlic £6, Molasses £4.50
Insurance - £90 annualy (its only third party basically loll)
DIY livery (including daily turnout, use of indoor school, use of water and electric, use of tack room, use of flushing toilet e.c.t.) - £17.50 a week
Use of menage and horse walker - £4 each time i use them
Shavings - £6.50 a bale
Hay - we were paying £35 for two huge bales (one bale lasts 6 weeks) but hes ran out so we have to find a different supplier)
Vaccinations - about £25 a pop
Dentist - £20 if rasping is needed, free if nothing needs doing (hes coming out on the 28th..aack! x])

then theres other costs like rugs and stable tools if something breaks and repairs for rugs and rug washing..and tack aswell..theres probably more that i am forgetting x]

good luck :)

Trim - £20 (no shoes)
Insurance - BHS personal £54? (can't remember, I don't do other insurance)
Wormers - £15 every 13 weeks
Vaccs - don't know they are due next Friday....
Ponies and arab have just grass, TB has speedibeet (£8.85 a bag which lasts quite a while) and pony nuts....sorry, not sure how long they last, I'm not feeding much yet.

it will vary greatly depending on what type of horse/pony you go for. Remember to include the price of lessons and travel expenses in your budget. I would allow around £20 to £45 per week plus your livery.
Have you considered getting a share? It will be cheaper, take up less time and you will have more help and advice. It will also be the same price each month.

I'm in Wiltshire too!

I pay :

DIY - £20 per week each
Hay - £2.50 a bale, at the moment I use a bale a day but come the winter that will be at least a bale & a half (one ID, one welsh cob & I feed adlib)
Straw - £1.50 a bale, when they're in I'm looking at 4-5 bales a week.
Hard feed - a sack of AntiLam costs £35 and lasts about a month, a sack of chaff is about £5 and lasts a couple of weeks and a sack of mix at £7 that lasts a couple of weeks.
Shoes - the ID does 4 (maybe 5) weeks on a set at £70, the welsh cob gets the occassional trim as needed at £20.
Insurance - I think about £600 for the two but not certain without checking.
Wormers - I can't remember the cost but I use Equest & Equitape.
Vaccinations - can't remember cost but flu & tet.
Vets bills - after the last couple of years I don't want to go there, insurance still leaves you with the excess!
Dentist - £30 every 6 months.
Back lady, saddler etc as needed.

Livery £40 pw incl feed, hay, straw, turn out and bring in, change rugs, attend to farrier and store trailer.

Farrier, £60 per 6-7 weeks.

Insurance £35 pcm

Worming approx £10.

Main expense is probably competition fees, lessons and petrol...:eek:

it will vary greatly depending on what type of horse/pony you go for. Remember to include the price of lessons and travel expenses in your budget. I would allow around £20 to £45 per week plus your livery.
Have you considered getting a share? It will be cheaper, take up less time and you will have more help and advice. It will also be the same price each month.

yea iv already had 2 shares and do no what im getting myself into with a full loan, but thanks =)

jenny has no shoes so she isnt trimmed coz we are letting her hooves grow
insurance, im with NFU and it is £400 a month (covered for everything)
all my feed lasts about 6 weeks so its about £60 per 6 weeks
DIY livery is £100 per month
straw and hay bales (small) are £3.50
dentist is £25 once a year

newrider.com