Pony hunting

Sparklie

Jun 3, 2005
hartlepool
Thought I'd start a new thread for my horse hunting seen as the last horse failed the vet :cry:

So I'm looking for:

14-15.2hh
4-12yrs old
Prefer gelding
Prefer anything but grey (white!!) just call me lazy!!
Safe to hack
Happy to pop a fence
Good to handle on the ground
Prefer snaffle mouthed
North east area

Any help gratefully received!!

I had a very odd telephone conversation with the owner of this pony the other day and arranged to view him tomorrow.

If I'm honest I'm having second thoughts and not sure if I want to go. I think I feel I should as he's within my criteria, well below budget and not very far away.

Anything jump out at you when you look at his ad good or bad? :help:

http://www.dragondriving.co.uk/horseforsale-31752.html

None ridden all stationery. Mouth open in first photo? Does the pony still need a flash and Martingale in the school setting?

In what way was the phonecall odd? I would say if near to you then worth a look... has he been used in the riding school? if yes then need to find out why hes being sold ie perhaps too sharp etc

Agree with no ridden photos being a bit odd. I don't get on here very much, but I saw Buzz for sale when I have been horse hunting for something for us - has he found a nice home yet? We are selling Louby Lou who may be suitable, though if she behaves on Tuesday night she is sold subject to vet.

Phonecall went

Me: I'd like to view your red and white pony
Them: hang on (asks someone else if the red and white is ok). Someone's coming to see it Monday but you can come if you want
Me: oh ok do you want me to wait until they've viewed him?
Them: it's a man. He's coming from Scotland and wants to see him driven. Do you want to see him driven?
Me: no just ridden
Them: you can come then but he's just pulled 2 shoes in the field(!) farrier comes Monday but you could come tomorrow (Sunday)
Me: no its ok I'll wait too he's reshod. Shall I wait until this man has been?
Them: no its fine. Come Monday. I don't even know if he's coming(!)

Then arranged a time. Very odd :unsure:

Also pony was for riding school but is too forward and is instead used to take hacks out by her or her partner or ridden by the older teens.

He's strong in your hand apparently and ridden in a French link dr Bristol!!
Now I'm no bit expert but I'm fairly sure they are very different bits :frown: one of which is much stronger than the other.

Lookalike I'm Going to have to cancel anyway as OH's car is having to o to the garage now. Maybe thisis a good thing :giggle:

Thanks for the input.
Viewing cancelled as ive had to take OH to the garage with his car which is going to cost a fortune again :Banghead:

Anyway another viewing tomorro. No ad to post as its a friends pony. I did post a how much is this pony worth thread the other day about this pony. This is what it says on its Facebook advert:

14hh, 9 yr old all rounder/PC/RC mare. Very well bred British riding pony with height certificate and brp reg certificate. Fantastic jump, does a nice dressage test and bold XC. Done PC camp, member of RC show jumping and XC teams and has been placed in area competitions.

a088d202.jpg

18c35943.jpg

Sunshine I'm tempted with the 2nd pony. The first one is lovely but very much over my budget. I can only stretch to about £2,500.

My first thought was why are they going the wrong way? What is the excess leather flapping Martingale?

But it's a MARE!!! You said gelding so I've been discounting mares!!!! :redcarded: :giggle:

But it's a MARE!!! You said gelding so I've been discounting mares!!!! :redcarded: :giggle:

I know I know :redface:
I'm trying to get over it haha

NF, it was indoor XC competition so I assume it was jumped both ways. Not sure what the extra bit is!

Eta: I zoomed in...it's just the other end of the reins (the looped bit)

Last edited:
lol
too big!
too mare!
;)
She looks like a pony but she's actually 1300 pounds and just under 16h
Thank you though. :)

Now get working. We want to see more pics and more links and more progress reports!

newrider.com