Pony not working when other horses are around.

Hellopony

May 10, 2021
Hi,

My son is 7, pony is 7 and a Welsh sec A.

They have been riding beautifully around the school, 3 nice paces and listening well to sons aids. However this eve a friend's son and his pony came to ride with my son in the school. Sons pony turned into the devil, just couldn't handle it and bucked several times, final straw he bronked and my son came off. We called it a day by this point.
Its the first time my son has ridden him with another pony in the school. So we weren't prepared for this behaviour. He will happily hack out with any other pony and will go in front or behind (has hacked out with the other said pony fine too)
I think it's a confidence thing.

How do we overcome this? TIA

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Do you have a small teenager or adult who could ride the pony in the school with another in there? Failing that can you long rein with another around so he gets used to it, then when he's consistently calm and obedient in the long reins put your son on a lead rein with another pony in there.

No offence to your son, but did he ride differently because a friend was there?

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
What she said ^^^ 🙂 if pony doesn’t long line, just leading calmly and politely with another pony in there is also an option.

Reactions: Huggy

Hellopony

May 10, 2021
Thanks both will give long lining a go. Hopefully we will overcome it and he will become more confident. As I definitely feel that he was just very anxious and didn't know how to cope. It would be a shame to have to consider a sell when him and son are a real team and riding beautifully when solo in the school and both love and enjoy to hack with others absolutely fine. He just seemed like he didn't know how to cope.

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Maybe once you've got the pony used to long reining in the school with others and your son is ok on a lead rein with them there too then it would be worth getting him some lessons, a couple of private ones first and then try some shared ones if someone else is interested, or even see if someone would ride quietly in the arena while your son had a lesson, He's only young and while riding can be taught learning to deal with problems comes more from experience. If you can introduce the problem gradually and with someone there to help him cope and give calm advice then he stands a much better chance of dealing with it and will have learnt something he can use in the future too.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
laceyfreckle Can I see your Hunter type horses/pony's? Show or working hunter type Competing 32
Native Lover Working Hunter Pony Competing 3
notpoodle Working Hunter Pony - what happens? Competing 6
H Bargy pony - usual tactics not working! Training of the Horse and Rider 9
Mr Ed What is involved in Working Hunter Pony ??? Older Riders 7
*Solo's Mum* Working Hunter Pony Competing 12
S rotating pedal bones and working an older pony Horse Care 19
Kc.. My cheeky pony lameness update! -Will add pics when the USB starts working!!!- General 3
S Feeding a 3 day a week working shetland pony Metabolic 6
Colour_Crazy_Gi Working Hunter Pony? General 5
ponies-R-gr8!!! Working hunter pony classes Other Disciplines 4
J Working hunter pony??? Other Disciplines 4
kel pony club working rallys 2004 Archive of Posts 15
Z Feeding Cushings pony Metabolic 41
Jane&Ziggy Snotty nose pony Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 6
MrC Good Pony week Cafe 16
CharlottePrebble First pony Cafe 13
E Re injecting pony Cafe 1
E Aggressive pony on injection Horse Care 18
Huggy Friends new pony (probably!( Cafe 7
W Would you buy a 15 year old pony? Cafe 26
Tots N Dots Pickle Pony Cafe 11
MrC Pony party take 2 Cafe 16
E Age, weight, loss of confidence and pony issues Confidence Club 12
Jane&Ziggy Drony pony Cafe 14
Huggy Anyone remember the "Win a pony" competitions in comics? Cafe 14
M What is the best saddle for a fell pony Tack & Saddlery 5
P I need help on figuring out the height of my pony!! Cafe 6
whenyoufeellikeyourflying disabled rider and pony club Cafe 2
S Squishing pony Adults who ride Ponies 2
P New pony kicked me - help! Older Riders 17
floppy Wintec pony saddle too big Tack & Saddlery 8
E New pony in paddock!!! Horse Care 7
Z New pony arrived with strangles now has purpura hemorrhagica Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 34
Izzy321123 What is the smallest pony I am safe to ride Adults who ride Ponies 12
Jane&Ziggy 4 dimensional pony accesses all areas Cafe 6
Native Lover Pony that wouldn’t pick his feet up..... Hoof Care 2
whenyoufeellikeyourflying HELP!!! Where to find a pony for camp next year Cafe 6
whenyoufeellikeyourflying Joining pony club as a beginner Cafe 4
mystiquemalaika Unicorn pony, Harry, Hack 1000 miles challange and life x Members Diaries 26
laawlerr Sharp Pony! First Timers 12
Loveslayla Needy pony Cafe 7
domane I went pony shopping (pics now added) Cafe 12
EmsandBluexx bringing on a young jumping / event pony Competing 10
Native Lover 54 and still haven’t grown out of my pony Adults who ride Ponies 3
Sam_and_Cleggy Pony getting a bit pushy First Timers 8
whenyoufeellikeyourflying Tack to fit a 14.2 hh pony and petite eight year old Tack & Saddlery 7
Sam_and_Cleggy What turnout rug for cob pony with fresh irish clip Horse Care 20
Sam_and_Cleggy What are your top 3 tips for a first time pony owner?? First Timers 51
kimbo1069 Pony club First Timers 6