Poor Albi....

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Jack is still sound, 48 hours after being re-shod and turned out, so this time I am cautiously hopeful that his abscess episode is well and truly over. Three weeks exactly, that took! :rolleyes:

So now that I don't have to do two trips a day, either side of the daylight, I decided it was finally time to whip off Albi's winter coat with my clippers and re-commence riding.

Brought him in, groomed him as thoroughly as I could, plaited his mane and tail to keep them out of the way. Plucked my newly-sharpened blades from their packaging and set to work. Only the clippers bounced right royally off his long coat and laughed at my stupidity of even SUGGESTING that they might be able to get through it. Bum! :(

After twenty minutes of attacking just one side of his neck and a bit of the nearside of his face, I admitted defeat and called it a day. So he's now back in the field looking quite ridiculous. I'm sure he'll soon have that clean spot matching the rest though....

Well you have to laugh, dontcha.... :p

In the meantime, I am in the process of booking a pro to come and do the job properly... and my clippers (trimmers!) will be sold as they are no good to me.

The positive that came out of it is that this is only the third timein as many months that I've taken the clippers to Albs, in his five years and he stood like a rock. He even politely dropped his head as I inched my way up his neck along his mane and didn't protest when I gently held together his ear to clip off the protruding fluff. He used to have such major issues having his ears touched so I'm so proud of him.

Yes and at this rate, he'll have to look like that for at least a week yet.... :eek:

newrider.com