Poor Dan

Robins favourite is pears! But they have to be almost off and all squishy and juicey. Watermelon is also a hit.

Pink mash he picked at but didn’t really like. Soothe and gain was what got his abx into him but that really isn’t good for laminitis 😂. He will happily eat fast fiber but it did take a few days before he decided it was fast fiber only as he didn’t need the s and g anymore.

Spillers mash is apparently quite good
Veteran light as well
The purple mash from readymash? Kia loved that for a while. It’s low starch and sugar.
Or even just soaking some high fibre cubes? I soak everything regardless, it’s amazing how much water horse feed soaks up at times.

A friend soaks the baileys fibre nugget things for her lami prone pony for him to get his meds. Not sure if you have tried them

He can't have anything for weight gain, which readymash purple is. The veteran light is so similar to fast fiber in texture, it gets the same response (won't eat it even plain) and is higher calorie.
I could get some nuts to soak, but if 20 flakes (literally, he gets the tiniest pinch) of speedibeet is too much, then I'm concerned at going to a higher value feed and making things worse.
I've got a bunch of samples coming, hopefully something among it will tempt him.

No worries 😃

It’s these that my friend soaks literally a small handful in a bucket of warm water and puts the meds in, no where near the recommended amount. A bag last for ever even with putting them in a treat ball for her other horse 😃

Ive been using the fibre plus nuggets as treats for clicker training. The link put up here shows a green bags. Ive been using ones in a blue bag. Wonder what the difference is?

I was a bit worried last night, Dan was laying down when I got there, he got up eventually but seemed generally quiet, not even a nicker for his dinner which is unusual. However I think it's just that I finally have his pain better managed and he was tired and had actually been asleep rather than down just to relieve his feet :) He has been laying down a lot every night (the camera has paid for itself ten fold the past week) but last night he didn't lay down much and he actually tried to run away from the syringe this morning and he has finally stopped sweating.

Oh and I had a revelation this morning, I have been buying regular paracetamol tablets for him and faffing about crushing them up, why didn't I think of buying capsules earlier!

I was a bit worried last night, Dan was laying down when I got there, he got up eventually but seemed generally quiet, not even a nicker for his dinner which is unusual. However I think it's just that I finally have his pain better managed and he was tired and had actually been asleep rather than down just to relieve his feet :) He has been laying down a lot every night (the camera has paid for itself ten fold the past week) but last night he didn't lay down much and he actually tried to run away from the syringe this morning and he has finally stopped sweating.

Oh and I had a revelation this morning, I have been buying regular paracetamol tablets for him and faffing about crushing them up, why didn't I think of buying capsules earlier!
Bet you are right about that laying down, bet because his pain is being managed now, he's probably flat out to really get some proper shut eye and relaxation. Sending more get well vibes for him, it must be horrible for him. That camera sounds ace, I am really thinking of buying one for ours - you know, just in case and all that.

So pleased he's running away when he sees you, always a good sign 😁🤣

If you need to buy more paracetamol, Tesco do soluble effervescent 500mg tablets. They taste OK, I don't mind gargling with them for a sore throat or mouth ulcer. As long as I have the same taste as a Shetland then you'll be ok😉😂

So pleased he's running away when he sees you, always a good sign 😁🤣

If you need to buy more paracetamol, Tesco do soluble effervescent 500mg tablets. They taste OK, I don't mind gargling with them for a sore throat or mouth ulcer. As long as I have the same taste as a Shetland then you'll be ok😉😂
Ah ha! I figured there must be soluble ones out there (just not in our silly little Tesco) I’ll go investigate at the weekend. Thank you 🙏

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I think we are on a winner with the sugar free Jelly, last night was the first dose with it and he still wasn't keen, and this morning he wasn't keen until he realized what it was then he sucked it down :D

Reactions: carthorse
Sugar free jelly! Brilliant! I am looking after a friend's two while she is away and it's really hard to get the little old mare to eat her Prascend, sugar free jelly might be an option :)

Sugar free jelly! Brilliant! I am looking after a friend's two while she is away and it's really hard to get the little old mare to eat her Prascend, sugar free jelly might be an option :)
I just made up the jelly as normal, and just suck it up with the syringe, then I back load the meds and with the plunger in place but out to give space, give it a really good shake to mix it. It works pretty well.

Reactions: carthorse
My fears/suspicion confirmed this morning, I found Dan head under fence clearing up spilled chicken feed 🤬 I'm really annoyed, I specifically asked my friends to be careful with the food the day they brought the chickens over. Chances are we are going to fall out over this, she is very hot tempered and does not like being told anything regardless of how gently you try, I've been friends with him for 24 years but he will 100% back his wife even if she is being unreasonable, but I can't leave this.

In good news Dan was a sod this morning, tried to kick me and trotted around his pen before eyeing up the fence to break out - all because he didn't want his meds! At least he's feeling better.

• Wow
Reactions: lauren123
Is there anything you can do to stop him getting his head under the fencing? It would help if she was more considerate, particularly when you've explained it could be an issue and why, but ultimately if she's feeding on her ground I don't see what you can do about it other than block Dan's access. I hope you don't start having a rat problem if there's food laying around!

Is there anything you can do to stop him getting his head under the fencing? It would help if she was more considerate, particularly when you've explained it could be an issue and why, but ultimately if she's feeding on her ground I don't see what you can do about it other than block Dan's access. I hope you don't start having a rat problem if there's food laying around!
Its not her ground, it's mine. My friends were between houses and asked if their chickens could stay in my coop for a week while they were in rented accommodation and the new house purchase went through, then it fell through a month ago and I have no idea how long they are staying for.

I will put another strand of fencing up, but the coop door is right on the fence line, so if they drop anything it's very likely it will go his side of the fence too. I can't move the coop and if I move Dan he won't have a shelter.

Its not her ground, it's mine. My friends were between houses and asked if their chickens could stay in my coop for a week while they were in rented accommodation and the new house purchase went through, then it fell through a month ago and I have no idea how long they are staying for.

I will put another strand of fencing up, but the coop door is right on the fence line, so if they drop anything it's very likely it will go his side of the fence too. I can't move the coop and if I move Dan he won't have a shelter.

In that case I'd tell her to feed elsewhere and not to feed so much that it's left laying around - if she doesn't like it she can find somewhere else to keep them. Presumably they don't have to feed at the coop door but could put food in a feeder a short distance away? Otherwise they need to build another coop in a better place for you.

newrider.com